Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2020, 07:09   #91
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: General consensus on Ultra Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Really? They fit mine just fine.
I am sorry I just enlarged the picture you shared and realized that you did some major modifications at your bowsprit by closing its gap plus you added another bow roller to put that anchor on.

It looks like I should have said an anchor with roll-bar doesn't fit boats with bowsprits without major modifications.
Old 29-02-2020, 07:10   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Marine West View Post
The ULTRA Anchor also comes with a lifetime warranty; instead, someone could still bend the shank, etc.
Can you please explain how the Ultra anchor warranty works in practice?

The worst “lifetime” warranties do not cover bending or damage unless the owner can prove a manufacturing defect. I gather the Ultra warranty does cover deformation or bending, from a problem, not related to a defect, such an anchor stuck under a rock, which is great (perhaps you could confirm this for forum members), but there are still some significant differences between anchor warranties.

Some models demand the anchor is returned to the manufacturer and then the shipping of the new anchor is paid for by the boat owner. Shipping anchors can be very expensive and even exceed the cost of simply replacing the anchor locally (for galvanised models).

Other manufacturers allow the bent anchor to dropped off and replaced at a local dealer, with no delivery costs, which can be much cheaper (with a reasonable dealer network).

The very best warranties will ship a new anchor (or parts) at no charge on reasonable proof of a problem, such as a bent shank. This is more of an insurance policy rather than “warranty” but is obviously very advantageous.

Finally, are there any conditions on the warranty? Some manufacturers insist the anchor is not undersized for the boat, which I think is entirely reasonable, but it is important to know any conditions before purchase.
Old 29-02-2020, 07:11   #93
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
My take on modern anchors, they are expensive. Even Rockna and Mantus are. I have hard time understanding why anchor costs more than an outboard motor OF THE SAME WEIGHT. It is a completely different level of complexity. A hunk of metal should not cost this much. Particularly the one that is almost a consumable item. Stainless steel? It probably deserves a 25% premium over carbon alloy, but 300% premium is silly.
I cannot agree more. That is how I am trying to explain you the ULTRA is not expensive. If you take the unit labor cost from one of these galvanized anchors and apply it to the ULTRA, the list price of the UA27/60 will be around $USD10,000 which is only $USD2,399.
Old 29-02-2020, 07:23   #94

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
I am sorry I just enlarged the picture you shared and realized that you did some major modifications at your bowsprit by closing its gap plus you added another bow roller to put that anchor on.

It looks like I should have said an anchor with roll-bar doesn't fit boats with bowsprits without major modifications.
I have not touched it. This is the way the boat came from the factory.
Old 29-02-2020, 07:30   #95
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Can you please explain how the Ultra anchor warranty works in practice?

The worst “lifetime” warranties do not cover bending or damage unless the owner can prove a manufacturing defect. This is quite common. I gather the Ultra warranty does cover deformation or bending, from a problem such an anchor stuck under a rock, which is great (perhaps you could confirm this for forum members), but there are still some significant differences between anchor warranties.

Some models demand the anchor is returned to the manufacturer and then the shipping of the new anchor is paid for by the boat owner. Shipping anchors can be very expensive and even exceed the cost of simply replacing the anchor locally (for galvanised models).

Other manufacturers allow the bent anchor to dropped off and replaced at a local dealer, which can be much cheaper (with a reasonable dealer network).

The very best warranties will ship a new anchor (or parts) at no charge on reasonable proof of a problem, such as a bent shank. This is more of an insurance policy rather than “warranty” but is obviously very advantageous.

Finally, are there any conditions on the warranty? Some manufacturers insist the anchor is not undersized for the boat, which I think is entirely reasonable, but it is important to know any conditions before purchase.
Lifetime Manufacturer’s Warranty – ULTRA Anchor
Within:

ULTRA Marine West offers lifetime warranty against any material defects, bending, breaking cracking and/or rusting provided the anchor was sized appropriately for the boat, based on the official ULTRA Anchor sizing chart (as published by the manufacturer and up-to-date at the time of selection) and the anchor is used as per ULTRA Anchor User’s Guide.

This warranty is valid for the lifetime of the original purchaser and is non-transferable.
Exclusions:

Faults and damage caused by not using the recommended anchor size as per ULTRA Anchor sizing chart as published by the manufacturer and up-to-date at the time of selection.

Faults and damage caused by using the anchor outside of the ULTRA Anchor User’s Guide.
This warranty is limited to claims related to the ULTRA Anchor only. Other faults, damages and causalities related to using anchor are not covered by the warranty under no circumstances.
The purchaser will cover the transport costs for the old anchor and the replacement anchor.

Warranty Claim:

Please indicate all bellow information with your warranty claim;

Anchor serial number.
Anchor size.
Copy of the Invoice.
At least one photography showing any areas of concern.
Type of your boat, length and loaded weight.
Detailed report explaining how the damage occurred, date and precautions to avoid damage.
Anchoring areas and ground type.
Weather conditions.

If the anchor is faulty (or damaged) and after receiving confirmation email from info@ultramarine.com.tr , you can return the anchor to the seller. The reseller will replace the product if available, or if replacement is not possible, give refund of the purchase price.

All freight costs during replacement must be covered by the purchaser.

Note: This Warranty does not affect any statutory rights under any consumer guarantees at law or other legislation applicable to the place of sale which may not excluded or limited.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ULTRA Anchor Selection Table USA.pdf (415.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 29-02-2020, 07:34   #96

Quote:
I cannot agree more. That is how I am trying to explain you the ULTRA is not expensive. If you take the unit labor cost from one of these galvanized anchors and apply it to the ULTRA, the list price of the UA27/60 will be around $USD10,000 which is only $USD2,399.
I just bought a new outboard motor. It weighs 26 kg and the cost was $1300 USD out the door including two fuel tanks, 3 and 6 gallons (would be about $1200 without external tanks).

Will you recall how much does a ~26 kg Ultra go for these days? $2400 for a 27 kg of low tech steel? Seriously?
Old 29-02-2020, 07:42   #97
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I just bought a new outboard motor. It weighs 26 kg and the cost was $1300 USD out the door including two fuel tanks, 3 and 6 gallons (would be about $1200 without external tanks).

Will you recall how much does a ~26 kg Ultra go for these days? $2400 for a 27 kg of low tech steel? Seriously?

Yeah.... This.
Old 29-02-2020, 07:55   #98
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
I have not touched it. This is the way the boat came from the factory.
That doesn't sound right. I see a dark brown piece covering the gap on the bowsprit. A boatbuilder wouldn't open a hole they won't be using and cover it by another piece afterward.

If you insisted on getting the anchor with the boat, they may have closed the bowsprit gap and add this other bow roller on so that they could put this anchor for you.

I am surprised to hear you say it fits just fine, the way I see that anchor fits way too further away from the boat and that dark brown piece on your deck kills the whole deal there.

People mostly see these things in a way they want to see them. I am trying to convince you that ULTRA is a better option for you; that is why I may be seeing it that way, and you are trying to convince me that ULTRA is unnecessarily expensive so you can even see that bowsprit just fine.

Sir, I like the anchor you have, so I hope you enjoy it without any issues, but please keep in mind that there is a better option for you here in case you need it one day in the future.
Old 29-02-2020, 08:06   #99

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
.......Now the real question, what is Steve going to do with that manky old spade anchor after he has tested it.......

Pete
Indeed, it is a very good question.

So far, I have been reluctant to sell the anchors that I have collected (last count: 16). I store them completely out of my way (hanging in rafters), and they come in handy when a question comes up after initial testing.

Note: I was recently bequeathed a GENUINE CQR 45LB. in nice, usable condition. The "CQR" that I tested previously was likely a COPY, hence my interest in re-testing this largely obsolete design.

Steve
Old 29-02-2020, 08:09   #100
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:

That sounds wrong again. From a manufacturer point of view, comparing the cost of a serial production item with an hand made anchor is as unfair as comparing a stainless steel anchor price with a galvanized anchor.
Old 29-02-2020, 08:11   #101

Quote:
That doesn't sound right. I see a dark brown piece covering the gap on the bowsprit. A boatbuilder wouldn't open a hole they won't be using and cover it by another piece afterward.

If you insisted on getting the anchor with the boat, they may have closed the bowsprit gap and add this other bow roller on so that they could put this anchor for you.

I am surprised to hear you say it fits just fine, the way I see that anchor fits way too further away from the boat and that dark brown piece on your deck kills the whole deal there.

People mostly see these things in a way they want to see them. I am trying to convince you that ULTRA is a better option for you; that is why I may be seeing it that way, and you are trying to convince me that ULTRA is unnecessarily expensive so you can even see that bowsprit just fine.

Sir, I like the anchor you have, so I hope you enjoy it without any issues, but please keep in mind that there is a better option for you here in case you need it one day in the future.
The purpose of the “dark brown piece” is to protect the gel coat on the platform from the chain dragging over it. There are no gaps there, it is purely cosmetic. It is a factory installed standard item, including everything else in the picture, such as two bow rollers and a chain stopper.

I have two anchors now, Rockna and Fortress, and will be adding a third one soon. Still have not decided which one, hence my attention to this discussion.
Old 29-02-2020, 08:19   #102

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

For a slotted pulpit, the Mantus is pretty much the only roll bar anchor that'll fit unless you can get it to sit well at a weird angle. Of course, some boats (like mine) have too much pulpit beyond the roller to fit even the giant Mantus rollbar over it easily, limiting us only to non-rollbar anchors.

Based on looking at it, I like the design of the Ultra. But at the same time, the price is enough to drive me away from it (and all of the other stainless anchors). I'd rather buy a cheaper galvanized one (and even go up a size for the same effectiveness if that's a concern).

That said, there's definitely a market for a shiny, good-looking anchor that works well. If it gets those who want (and are willing to pay for) shiny anchors away from using stainless CQRs and Deltas, then it's absolutely an important product to have on the market.
Old 29-02-2020, 08:32   #103

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Quote:
Poorly designed.
Old 29-02-2020, 08:34   #104

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat

One more total endorsement of the Ultra anchor! After 8 years of almost nightly anchoring - 4 with a Rocna & now 4 with an Ultra, the difference is simply amazing! While our Rocna dragged “only” a few times, it was very distressing that it almost always set at a 10 - 20 degree angle, which made it difficult for it to continue digging in deeper. Dozens of times I had to dive down to “help it”. I would joke that it’s rollbar was really a handle to push & jump on to set it.

Not only does our Ultra bury itself like crazy, it always does so completely vertically without any tilt. Even in grass (which we obviously attempt to avoid) it will work it’s way in thru the roots while the blunt tip of the Rocna would be stopped with even a couple of roots.

Considering we anchor almost 300 nights/year, the difference in cost isn’t even a consideration.

Russ
m/v Twin Sisters
Old 29-02-2020, 08:43   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Lifetime Manufacturer’s Warranty – ULTRA Anchor
Within:

ULTRA Marine West offers lifetime warranty against any material defects, bending, breaking cracking and/or rusting provided the anchor was sized appropriately for the boat, based on the official ULTRA Anchor sizing chart (as published by the manufacturer and up-to-date at the time of selection) and the anchor is used as per ULTRA Anchor User’s Guide.

Thanks for the answer.
The Ultra user guide can be download here:

http://ultramarineproducts.com.au/wp...ser-Manual.pdf

By far the most common reason for bending an anchor is having the anchor stuck under debris or rock. In these circumstances bending the anchor is not really the fault of the anchor, but nevertheless some anchor manufacturers will cover this type of damage.

The Ultra user guide implies that a boat owner should “try to avoid anchoring in rock” and that “a trip line with a floating buoy should be used”. All good advice.

But suppose a forum member buys an Ultra anchor and anchors (presumably accidentally) in rock without a trip line. The anchor is bent on recovery because of the excessive force needed to free the anchor from the rock. There is no question of a manufacturing defect. Is this covered under warranty even though it can be argued that the user violated the user guide?

Finally, you mention that the anchor must be returned to the original purchaser. Is another dealer acceptable? Cruising boats travel large distances and the original dealer from whom the anchor was purchased may often be many miles away, or even half way around the world.

Are delivery costs for the new anchor payable even if the anchor is returned to a dealer?

Sorry for the difficult questions, but far too many anchor manufacturers promise a great warranty, but in practice this does not work, at least for long distance cruising sailors. So forgive me for trying to nail down the specifics for forum members, but this is important, especially for an expensive anchor.

If anyone is interested in anchor warranties (and you should be if purchasing a new anchor, as there as significant differences), I started a thread a long time ago here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...es-113472.html
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, grass