Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28   #1

Good Deal$ on Chain?

I've been looking around for some replacement rode chain. Ideally, I'd like about 150' for the primary and 100' for the secondary.

Because weight and storage is limited on the old (new-to-me) Cat27, I decided to spring for some HT G4.

My searches have come up with average prices between $4.25 - $5/ft. Keeping in mind the rest of the retrofit costs that are yet to come, I decided to look around ebay too.

So here's the crux of this post: Ebay has a seller listing themselves as bmmktginternational out of Ft Lauderdale, FL that has galvanized 5/16 G4 at $2.95/ft. That seems like such a good deal my BS alarm is starting to go off. They haven't yet responded to my questions as to whether it's hot dipped galvanized vs. electroplated and whether it's stamped G4.

Anchor Chain,5/16" Galvanized High Test G4 USA NEW:eBay Motors (item 320440031221 end time Nov-23-09 13:59:44 PST)

Does anyone out there have any other quality control questions I should know to ask before I send my $$ into the ether? Their feedback may not be stellar at 93%, but slow shipping seems to be their big issue. Many buyers reviewed them as "product as described". I'm just wondering if those buyers know that high test chain should be stamped, and was it?

Finally, I'm wondering if anyone has any commentary on the use of a Raya anchor in the Puget Sound area? I've narrowed my choices down to either the Raya or a Rocna as my upgraded primary. I'll keep my 16lb forged Danforth as my secondary.

Thanks in advance.
Brad
blsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:52   #2

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Brad- We we replaced our rode a couple of years ago, we found our best deal at First Chain Supply: Gr 40 Windlass Anchor Chain They list a half drum (275') for $3.39', plus free shipping. The key to the shipping is to have a commercial address where it can be shipped. We used a boatyard where we were getting some other work or a place of employment.

Others have reported getting good deals at West Marine and other vendors. Make sure you get "Acco" chain.

You'll get lots of opinions regarding the anchor to use. While in the San Juans, we had used a Bruce with decent luck..... and a plow type further north (cqr, delta, and a spade). We slept best with a 'new generation' anchor.... if it were me, and given the two choices you mention... I'd go with a Rocna.

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:37   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I got my chain from the same folks. Best deal around.
Chain, Chain Supplies, Binder Chains, Lifting Slings and Hooks
Old 02-11-2009, 06:45   #4

Thanks for the input folks.

They responded, saying that their chain is hot dipped, stamped and "usually" (don't know what they mean by that) either Acco or CM brand chain.

Rick, are you referring to the ebay vendors or 1st Chain Supply that Steve is talking about?

Brad
blsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:10   #5

Boat: Beneteau 42 CC - Kokopelli
The advice I got (seeting off for 6 mth trip in weeks) for new chain is a crowd called CERTEX that sell ACCO high tensile, galvenised chain for a great price ( I thought <$2.50)
SamVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:13   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsailors View Post
Thanks for the input folks.

They responded, saying that their chain is hot dipped, stamped and "usually" (don't know what they mean by that) either Acco or CM brand chain.

Rick, are you referring to the ebay vendors or 1st Chain Supply that Steve is talking about?

Brad

1st Chain Supply, it's the link I posted.
Old 10-11-2009, 14:30   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVogel View Post
The advice I got (seeting off for 6 mth trip in weeks) for new chain is a crowd called CERTEX that sell ACCO high tensile, galvenised chain for a great price ( I thought <$2.50)
That's strange, Certex is asian manufacturer but then it is owned by the same outfit that owns Pearson Acco so they could be selling Acco made.

1st chain supply is usually pretty sharp when talking US made chains so if you find a price a lot lower you should be asking questions as to just who made it.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 14:35   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsailors View Post
Finally, I'm wondering if anyone has any commentary on the use of a Raya anchor in the Puget Sound area? I've narrowed my choices down to either the Raya or a Rocna as my upgraded primary. I'll keep my 16lb forged Danforth as my secondary.
Don't forget the Supreme, it's pulling well ahead of Rocna in most of the published tests.

All 3 are bloody good so I'd be saying buy the cheapest as that is probably the biggest difference between the 3.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 09:33   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986
I am ready to buy chain for our 86 Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41. I could use some advise on chain size and length. Am I on the right track with either 200' of G30 BBB 3/8" and 200' of 5/8" 3 strand rode or should I go with 200' of HT4 and same rode. Or will I be fine with going with 5/16". More chain, less rode? less chain, more rode. Looking for the best set up for a primary.

Help!!
Capt. Randy
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote