Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 06:47   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Have you ever broken your chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
WE USE 10MM S/S/CHAIN ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT IS RATED FOR ? IT IS STAMPED ,NOT SURE OF THE NUMBERS . THANKS
You might optionally elect to tell us what the stamp says?

Anchorlift - Chains & Ropes

Broadly speaking BL of about 5t.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 15:53   #47

Boat: Finnsailer 38

So, a secondary question is, has anyone every broken any of that 316 stainless steel anchor chain? We hear lots of pontificating that stainless is no good for underwater use, and I tend to agree, but does anyone have any reported problems in actual use?
Old 26-02-2013, 04:27   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
So, a secondary question is, has anyone every broken any of that 316 stainless steel anchor chain? We hear lots of pontificating that stainless is no good for underwater use, and I tend to agree, but does anyone have any reported problems in actual use?
Nope. But I did see one very corroded in its locker. Why will SS chain corrode? Perhaps it gets abraded and stops being SS and then the difference of potentials does the rest?

It looked very messy. We never get that look with galv chain though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:41   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Stainless chain can be had in sizes that match G4 ISO so it will work on a lot of windlasses. It isn't as strong as G4 but it is stronger than BBB or Proof Coil.

There are other grades of stainless out there besides 316 and there is no way to tell what it is by just looking at it.

I've had the same piece of stainless chain in my rope / chain rode for more than ten years. It still looks great. Unfortunately mine doesn't spend nearly as much time underwater as I would like.

One very nice thing about stainless chain is that mud doesn't stick to it as well as it does to galvanized chain.

If I were to buy stainless chain today, I would buy Suncor brand. They make high quality stainless products and I would trust them to deliver the grade of stainless I ordered. That's not to say other companies don't sell quality stainless, it's just that I know Suncor.
Old 26-02-2013, 08:21   #50

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I know of 2 broken chains, but they are both second hand.

One was a friend anchored in Bahia de Santa Elena (Papagayo territory) on his 40 foot sailboat. The chain came with the boat, history unknown, and he decided not to replace it before he went cruising. Fortunately they were on the boat and that wind blows offshore.

The second story is a bit more interesting, because we were trying to use chain and a hydraulic jack to straighten a lead keel that had been warped in a Red Sea grounding. I got my kid the rocket scientist to calculate the yield strength of the keel, and figured a 5 ton jack and 1/2 chain would do the job. The only chain available in Yat Marin (Marmaris) was Chinese. It snapped twice before we gave up, and I figured it broke a bit below its WORKING load!

I would not trust any part of my anchoring system to something made in China--chain, shackles or anchor.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:59   #51

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Stainless chain can be had in sizes that match G4 ISO so it will work on a lot of windlasses. It isn't as strong as G4 but it is stronger than BBB or Proof Coil.

There are other grades of stainless out there besides 316 and there is no way to tell what it is by just looking at it.

I've had the same piece of stainless chain in my rope / chain rode for more than ten years. It still looks great. Unfortunately mine doesn't spend nearly as much time underwater as I would like.

One very nice thing about stainless chain is that mud doesn't stick to it as well as it does to galvanized chain.

If I were to buy stainless chain today, I would buy Suncor brand. They make high quality stainless products and I would trust them to deliver the grade of stainless I ordered. That's not to say other companies don't sell quality stainless, it's just that I know Suncor.
I also heard, second-hand & anecdotally, that SS chain won't castle up in the locker like galvanized often does. True?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 15:24   #52

I'll agree with HopCar that I doubt you can go wrong with Suncor products, and their stainless steel chain looks like jewelry it is so purty! But, I would steer clear of no-name chain of any type. It is one place you do not want to cheap out.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:01   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"I also heard, second-hand & anecdotally, that SS chain won't castle up in the locker like galvanized often does. True? "

I don't have enough SS chain for that to be an issue. Can anybody afford enough stainless chain for that to be an issue?
I think we've got a drum of it at the store. I'll play with it and see if it piles up.
Old 26-02-2013, 22:35   #54

Boat: PT-11
Why wouldn't it? It seems slipperier (is that a word?) than galvanized so should pile up well. Only problem I've had with galvanized is piling up too high or not sliding down . Slippery chain would be better.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 01:27   #55

Boat: Little Harbor 46

Interesting question! It would be interesting also to know if there is any experience of breakage in anchor swivels? As others have said, the likely points of wear are at the shackle or ends of chain, so how about swivels, personally I don't like the idea of them but thats just me being suspicious!
On the subject of chain size and breaking strength, I suggest that weight of chain is important in damping the snatch effect on the anchor and boat, so it is probable that breaking strength is greater than might seem to be necessary.
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 07:35   #56

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Have you ever broken your chain?
No, but I'm getting good at picking the lock.
Old 27-02-2013, 17:53   #57

I have heard of anchor swivels breaking, but I have not had one do it. I don't regularly use one in my anchor rode anymore, though I did for years. The galvanized ones have a pretty low working load so you have to get a really big one, and I would only trust name brands. Cheapo Chinese swivels I have seen rot out very quickly. Frankly I don't see the point of one in an anchor rode unless you plan on not moving for a very long time. On moorings you need one or you will eventually get some serious twists.
Old 27-02-2013, 18:04   #58
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Anchor, shackle, swivel, enlarged link, chain:

G7 strength coupling:

Windlass, chain stopper:

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:08   #59

How does the WL on that swivel compare to the shackles and chain?
Old 27-02-2013, 18:34   #60
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
How does the WL on that swivel compare to the shackles and chain?
It is stronger but it is, gasp, 3/4" while the chain is only 3/8". The shackle is also 3/4". Note that swivels like these are safe to use when WL is matched to chain. No shiny stainless Kong or whatever thingies that break with side loading.

Here's the thing: we used to have 5/8" shackle and swivel, same type as on the pictures. After being anchored in hurricane Ivan, the swivel looked just fine but the shackle was stretched and had to be cut off. At that time I replaced the chain and went up in size with the shackle and swivel. This hardware is massive and oversized but one size down was proven too weak... I can't find high tensile shackles while my roller can deal with this, so it's okay.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote