Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2021, 10:40   #1
cruiser

Hello, Ventura Harbor area cheap resources

I’m looking a 45’ monohull that is for sale there. I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap dry or wet storage that I can park it to do repairs for a month or so
Sunkenanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 13:54   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Hello, Ventura Harbor area cheap resources

Your better off to go to Mexico if you want cheap. In ventura the ventura boatyard is great and is fair for California and is diy.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:08   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
Your better off to go to Mexico if you want cheap. In ventura the ventura boatyard is great and is fair for California and is diy.
I have been looking in Mexico but not finding many sailboats listed there. I did however just find one that is exactly what I’m looking for in ‘Marina Seca’ It needs work, chain plates, standing and running rigging, bottom paint etc. I’m not afraid of the work, just the limited amount of funds I have to get it in the water and if I can’t stay on the boat that money will get burned up real quick. The other hurdles is getting down there with tools, I just have an enduro motorcycle and I don’t speak Spanish other than cerveza, el baño and Tengo diarrea.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:42   #4

Boat: Maple Leaf 48

My understanding is that Ventura is hard to beat for a DIY friendly boatyard and more "family" feeling marinas. If the boat is there then its probably in the best spot in the LA area.

That said, an acquaintance in Ventura is still looking to go to Mexico to do his bottom paint and to replace his teak decks with non-skid. He thinks its likely worth it to take the boat all the way down to the sea of cortez.
RobertAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 13:23   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAB View Post
My understanding is that Ventura is hard to beat for a DIY friendly boatyard and more "family" feeling marinas. If the boat is there then its probably in the best spot in the LA area.

That said, an acquaintance in Ventura is still looking to go to Mexico to do his bottom paint and to replace his teak decks with non-skid. He thinks its likely worth it to take the boat all the way down to the sea of cortez.

Where does one find this sailboats? I have been scouring sailboatlistings, boatcrazy, yachtworld, popyats and craigslist for a year now. The issue is I’m looking for a center cockpit preferably around 35’ or something with a large stateroom that has headroom to stand. I’m not looking for a fast boat race boat look that has no deck room or cabin, something more of a work boat, motor-sailor cruiser. Preferably shallow draft with full keel or partial.

When I find that sailboat and get it functional I will higher myself out to help people like your friend and his projects. I’m not looking to get rich just make enough to survive and move to the next port.
Old 14-08-2021, 10:50   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
Mexico yards aint that cheap anymore compared to California.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Mexico yards aint that cheap anymore compared to California.
Got any ballpark #'s to chum us with? Was thinking of going to Ensenada.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:26   #8

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
I’m looking a 45’ monohull that is for sale there. I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap dry or wet storage that I can park it to do repairs for a month or so
I live in Santa Barbara, and was planning to go to Ventura as the harbor there has the cheapest rates around for haul out and rates for daily while you do diy work done in their yard. It's about half what you would pay here in Santa Barbara.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap