Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2020, 17:39   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Help! How to get the square peg in the round hole??

I can see that the key is radiused on the ends. The keyway may be machined the same way. Another words it can’t be driven out end ways, it must be pulled straight out. So yes vice grips may be in order to grab it and yank it or tap the vice grips to pull it out. It’s hard to tell from that picture. A fine file will clean up any burrs. Mild heat and some Buster can help. Shaft doesn’t look that bad to me.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 01:30   #17

Boat: Coast 30

Putting a square peg in a round hole is always done in wood and its called a stop water.

As for your problem. my first point is that there is a loctite product

Loctite 37480 272 Red High Temperature Threadlocker Bottle that resists 450 Degrees Fahrenheit .

So if you suspect some one used this product before you owned it best to put it in the kitchen oven when your wife is not looking. I seriously doubt it was an OEM assembly procedure

The way I would remove a key out of a key-way like that is to clamp the minimally exposed area in a machinists vise. As the only way to get enough contact. I would NOT expect a vise-grips to work. on account of insufficient contact area. I would gently strike with upward strokes alternately. At each end with a plastic headed mallet being cautions not to hit hard enough to bend the shaft. If no success after giving the standard method a try. I would heat it up; If I thought there was any possibility that a loctite product had been used.

Bearings are normally installed at room temperature with a press. The dry ice and hot oil bath method is for shrink fits. Only used on parts that are never intended to be serviced later. The fact that you have been able to buy a repair kit indicated this is not the way it would have been done in this case.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 11:52   #18

Boat: 41' yawl

Vice grips on the exposed key.

Wiggle, pull and move on with your life.

Use a table vice if it’s putting up a fight so you don’t dork up the key too bad, but this isn’t watchmaking.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 16:53   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, worrying about marring the key is a waste of energy. Replacing it is easy, either with a bespoke part from the mfg or stock material available from numerous sources, as mentioned upthread.

Moderate and dispersed heat, especially from an oven or IR lamps, will help and will not bother the shaft at all. I'd avoid use of a torch because it is easy to overheat small spots, and that might indeed bother the shaft.

Jim
Old 15-08-2020, 18:03   #20

Boat: 32’ Sloop

You’re going to need a bigger hammer
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 14:24   #21

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I suggest going to there Hunterowners.com site and asking them, my H41 has also the SL Sprit Alantic 1000 and I suspect Hunter bought all of those models from Lewmar.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote