Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 11:26   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How big is too big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
How much do you want for your 25?

You are what we refer to as a fur piece away so I know your joking, but I don't know what to do with it, maybe try to see if I can carry both or try to devise a way to carry it on the stern?
I'll probably hang the Danforth on the stern. Shouldn't be too hard to find a home for the 25 though, it's only a year old and has been a darn good anchor.

The CQR I think I left it in the barn when I sold the Farm.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:43   #17
cruiser

We went one size larger than recommended for our 45kg Ultra and have never regretted the purchase. The Ultra will look nice on your IP, the Rocna... Functinal with a hoop welded on.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:47   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hopcar is giving me a very good price on the Rocna, I don't think I could afford an Ultra, although until the Mantus swivel came out, I wanted an Ultra swivel, but again the price had me sitting down and reconsidering.
High quality stuff though no doubt.
Old 22-08-2016, 11:47   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

Make damn sure it don't come loose at sea. What is your plan for holding it in the bow roller? That is a lot of surface area plowing into a wave. You might consider some chocks on deck to lash it down too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:52   #20
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You are what we refer to as a fur piece away so I know your joking, but I don't know what to do with it, maybe try to see if I can carry both or try to devise a way to carry it on the stern?
I'll probably hang the Danforth on the stern. Shouldn't be too hard to find a home for the 25 though, it's only a year old and has been a darn good anchor.

The CQR I think I left it in the barn when I sold the Farm.
Yeah I am joking, but I think you are on to something actually.
I have a rather large Delta, which I have been more or less happy with, but am watching all of you hawks before I make my decision. I like the idea of a monster main anchor and I have a Danforth stern anchor too.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:54   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Make damn sure it don't come loose at sea. What is your plan for holding it in the bow roller? That is a lot of surface area plowing into a wave. You might consider some chocks on deck to lash it down too.
Actually the 25 did, the tail end of the shank still connected to the boat, anchor came around and slammed into the side of the boat. It was at night and we had just got knocked down, I was sure that boom was the sound of a chain plate breaking, I looked up knowing I would see the mast coming down, but it didn't. I am amazed it didn't punch right through the hull, just left a small nick in the Gelcoat where the pointy end of the anchor hit the hull. It had to hit again for me to figure out whatever it was, was coming from the bow.
Since then I lash the roll bar to the railing, I have stood on that rail without it deflecting much. I plan to do the same with the bigger anchor.
But yes, good point, the wide flat part of these new type of anchors will cause a wave coming over the bow to lift them right up.
Old 22-08-2016, 11:58   #22

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

A friend of mine went through the exact same decision-making process a couple of years ago and ultimately bought the anchor that Rocna said was the correct size for his boat. He later regretted the decision and wished he had bought the larger size.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 12:00   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The thing that shocked me about the Rocna was the way it sets, with a CQR or Bruce they would slow the boat down to a stop, the Rocna jerks you to a stop like it was hung under a rock, or you were tied to a tree. You have to be a little careful the stop is so sudden, I think you could damage something if your moving very quickly.
Your happy with the Delta cause you haven't tried one of the new ones, just don't until your ready to buy, cause if you do, you will want one.
Old 22-08-2016, 12:10   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

Not to side track things, but has anyone determined if a heavier chain is more beneficial then a heavier anchor? Would going with the 33 and a heavier chain produce the same/similar result?

Just a thought/curiousness.
Old 22-08-2016, 12:16   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

My take on your question is to have bower be the biggest new-generation anchor that your anchoring system can reasonably manage most of the time. Match this with quality rode (all-chain) and a stout roller/windlass.

The reason I don't simply just say go big is b/c I believe effective anchoring is more about good technique than it is about how big your anchor is. No hunk of metal is going to hold a typical cruising boat based on weight. It's about proper location, proper chain layout, proper set.

Yes, a big anchor tends to be easier to set, but it may also mask poor technique. A bower that is overly large may also dissuade you from re-anchoring when the set is not quite right (as I just had to do three times due to #%$! weeds!). And while an IP may not be affected by the added weight on the bow, many boats are.

So sure, go big. But don't disregard developing your skills and effective techniques. These will be more important than the difference between a few extra pounds of pointy metal.
Old 22-08-2016, 12:20   #26

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Nothing wrong with going bigger. Just have to make sure your chain and rode are up to the task. Rode out Hurricane Fran at anchor in Norfok, Virginia in 1996. Thankfully, not a direct hit. Columbia 27 with a 44-pound plough as my main storm anchor (major overkill for a boat that size) and two 13-pound Danforths place out at 45-degrees each side of the main. Long night, loud and wet night, and didn't drag until the eye moved offshore and I took me too long to reset the anchors as the wind changed directions. Once everything was set...went to sleep like a baby until the rest of the storm passed and came out unscathed. It's a bear pulling up a 44 pounder without a winch! Glad I used it though!

Edit: Forgot to mention that my anchor scope was 8:1 in 10-12 feet of water.
Old 22-08-2016, 12:36   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Not to side track things, but has anyone determined if a heavier chain is more beneficial then a heavier anchor? Would going with the 33 and a heavier chain produce the same/similar result?

Chain weight is irrelevant once the wind begins to howl, chain is straight and tight. A kellet may accomplish more than chain weight?
WLL is a concern though, which now has me thinking I ought to go to grade 70 chain, up from my current 40.
Good source of grade 70 galvanized chain?
Old 22-08-2016, 12:37   #28

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Chain weight is irrelevant once the wind begins to howl, chain is straight and tight. A kellet may accomplish more than chain weight?
WLL is a concern though, which now has me thinking I ought to go to grade 70 chain, up from my current 40.
Good source of grade 70 galvanized chain?
Thanks. Figured I was missing something simple.
Old 22-08-2016, 13:02   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

These are two different factors. Not quite an either/or choice then.

1) you want the anchor to have large fluke area,
2) you want the chain to be long and heavy.

The anchor does not have to be heavy. Just look at Fortess or alloy Spade.

To indirectly address your question, imagine two academic opposites: a) an anchor kit without ... an anchor - just hundreds of feet of very heavy chain, and b) an anchor kit without chain - just a rock hook and your boat dangling on hundreds of feet of polypro line. Now back to that question: is a or b more beneficial.

I am fooling around, but I hope you are getting the parallel.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 13:10   #30

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:

I once met a man from Germany who had sailed a 10-meter boat around Cape Horn. He used 1/2" (12mm) chain. I teased him that his windlass was the size of a Volkswagen. He laughed and said, "Eets all in zee chain! Good holding is all in zee chain!"
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote