Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 06:35   #166

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: How Close Is Too Close?

I got nothin' but I want to get in before the thread is locked.

Wait. No, I have an idea. A "contribution":

I only use an anchor buoy when I'm in Canada. Sometimes I put two or three around my boat to keep some space.

There. That should be good for another page or two.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:33   #167

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He's just bored because it's been too cold (and windy) to sail much up where he is right now.

Plus I doubt he'd anchor to close to most cruising boats because it appears he's sailing a Catalina Capri 22.

It's a bit of a light weight....I'm thinking it wouldn't do well bouncing off a heavy cruisin' boat for a few hours if the wind got up

CAPRI 22 (CATALINA) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Don't forget, he usually rafts up or anchors by the stern.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:43   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Does anyone use those fancy laser distance measuring tools? Seems like a good way to confirm (or deny) your own sense of distance.

My hi-tech way is to ask my spouse, Ann. She’s a swimmer, and seems to have an innate sense of distance over water; measured in olympic pool lengths. She’s usually pretty accurate … at least that’s what she tells me .

I love my laser range finder! It's amazing how far off your guess can be. It's especially handy when anchoring by fixed buoys. You know exactly how far away you are, to set your anchor.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:09   #169
cruiser

This entire equation really isn't about actual distance between boats, it has more to do with scope and drift radius. The folks who spend much time at anchor know what I'm refering to. The guy 150 feet away from you with only 1:2 scope out isn't far enough away if you have 1:10 out expecting the wind to kick up.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:17   #170

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
This entire equation really isn't about actual distance between boats, it has more to do with scope and drift radius. The folks who spend much time at anchor know what I'm refering to. The guy 150 feet away from you with only 1:2 scope out isn't far enough away if you have 1:10 out expecting the wind to kick up.
You're making too much of it. When the wind kicks up his anchor is going to drag and he's going to hit you anyway.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:42   #171

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Don't forget, he usually rafts up or anchors by the stern.
You remembered!!!!! And I crank up the stereo so EVERYONE can listen.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:46   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
He sounds a bit like my father. I keep telling dad "I'm surprised someone hasn't shot you yet!"
Now where have I heard that before?
Old 17-03-2017, 08:51   #173

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You're making too much of it. When the wind kicks up his anchor is going to drag and he's going to hit you anyway.
This reminds me of an afternoon I spent watching a couple of charter houseboats trying to anchor in the 1000 Islands last season. It was blowing pretty good and the first houseboat came in and dropped way too close. I was about to call over to them, but then I saw their anchor and their technique, and just decided to let Mother Nature take care of them. In no time they had dragged their way out of the anchorage. Luckily there was lots of space, so they weren’t in any immediate danger, but it was funny.

But the fun continued… After they noticed they were drifting away they decided to toss out a stern anchor. All this did was foul both anchor rodes, increasing the disaster. After getting this sorted, they came back into the anchorage and tried four or five more times, each time dragging out. It was hours of fun .

Out of sheer luck they eventually managed to hold, so the beers and music came out once again. Then their buddy boat came in and the first boat put down fenders and called them over so they could raft. “Oh, this will be fun,” says I.

No sooner did they get tied up and swapped beers than both boats started dragging out of the anchorage. Twice the fun as they scrambled to sort this disaster out. They eventually gave up and went to a dock. For me it was cheap afternoon entertainment.

I know … I should have offered to help, but it was too much fun (and they were in no danger).
Old 17-03-2017, 09:02   #174

Yep Mike, I wish I was there to enjoy it with you.
Old 17-03-2017, 09:12   #175

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
This reminds me of an afternoon I spent watching a couple of charter houseboats trying to anchor in the 1000 Islands last season. It was blowing pretty good and the first houseboat came in and dropped way too close. I was about to call over to them, but then I saw their anchor and their technique, and just decided to let Mother Nature take care of them. In no time they had dragged their way out of the anchorage. Luckily there was lots of space, so they weren’t in any immediate danger, but it was funny.

But the fun continued… After they noticed they were drifting away they decided to toss out a stern anchor. All this did was foul both anchor rodes, increasing the disaster. After getting this sorted, they came back into the anchorage and tried four or five more times, each time dragging out. It was hours of fun .

Out of sheer luck they eventually managed to hold, so the beers and music came out once again. Then their buddy boat came in and the first boat put down fenders and called them over so they could raft. “Oh, this will be fun,” says I.

No sooner did they get tied up and swapped beers than both boats started dragging out of the anchorage. Twice the fun as they scrambled to sort this disaster out. They eventually gave up and went to a dock. For me it was cheap afternoon entertainment.

I know … I should have offered to help, but it was too much fun (and they were in no danger).
I wouldn't have taken you to be a schadenfreude type, Mike. For shame! . I hope you at least said hello to. . . Er, never mind.. . .

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:18   #176
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
No I'm not, because it works the other way too. If you anchored as frequently as us, then you'd know this Mr. Smartypants..

It's not so uncommon to be in a crowded anchorage with 1:5 scope like everyone else, only to find out late at night that some dope right in the middle has 300 ft of chain or rope rode attached to his anchor, and is now bashing into everyone.

Which is why we anchor on the outside away from the chaos.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:27   #177

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I wouldn't have taken you to be a schadenfreude type, Mike. For shame! . I hope you at least said hello to. . . Er, never mind.. . .
I know … I’m not proud of myself … But it really was pretty funny. My only justification is that the charter boats were full of loud, obnoxious “kids” who clearly had no consideration for anyone else in the area, and certainly weren't interested in getting help from an old foggie like me.

Actually, they sound a lot like kmacdonald.
Old 17-03-2017, 11:36   #178

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Mike,

Of course you're right about guys like that.
They would have told you to F off.
We've seen the same thing in the San Juans.
OTOH, once we saw an old old old ferro having touble anchoring in a large but full anchorage.
The family aboard had no clue how to anchor, and were repeatedly being chased off by lots of other (mostly power) boats.
They were trying to make a CQR hold in less than 2:1 scope.
I finally went over in the dink and asked them if they wanted any suggestions.
They immediately said, "YES PLEASE". I helped them pick out a spot where they wouldn't be bothered by anyone and talked them through the process.
They were very grateful to be properly set, and thanked me for the education.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:41   #179

Quote:
I know … I’m not proud of myself … But it really was pretty funny. My only justification is that the charter boats were full of loud, obnoxious “kids” who clearly had no consideration for anyone else in the area, and certainly weren't interested in getting help from an old foggie like me.

Actually, they sound a lot like kmacdonald.

OK, I'll admit, it was me. Lucky I didn't preemptively tell you to FO.
Old 17-03-2017, 12:10   #180

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

"Either that, or consider running the trip line up the chain, with light cable ties, instead of a float." I've thought about doing that too. Has anyone had success with it? Or not??
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote