Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49
How do I use windlass with two anchors?

We are adding a ss bowsprit to our Beneteau 49 so we can have two anchors with enough room between them to leave mounted as we will be cruising and living aboard for the next two years. Our boat has the standard vertical Lewmar electric windlass and I cannot see how to use this with two anchors- is it possible and/or, what are other solutions cruisers have used?

Appreciate any advice
Utahsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:56   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: How do I use windlass with two anchors?

Many of us use mostly rope rode on the second anchor so that it can often be handled by hand, or lead to the rope portion of a windlass that can handle both rope and chain. Having the second anchor on mostly rope rode also allows it to be taken out in the dinghy much more easily, which is usually how I set a second hook. If you use something like a Fortress anchor for the second it is also lightweight for its holding power, and makes a perfect second anchor IMHO.
Old 01-04-2013, 13:03   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Many of us use mostly rope rode on the second anchor so that it can often be handled by hand, or lead to the rope portion of a windlass that can handle both rope and chain. Having the second anchor on mostly rope rode also allows it to be taken out in the dinghy much more easily, which is usually how I set a second hook. If you use something like a Fortress anchor for the second it is also lightweight for its holding power, and makes a perfect second anchor IMHO.
Exactly. The boat I am cruising on right now has a heavy primary with lots of chain. It rides on the stbd side,where the windlass has the chain gypsy. A lighter anchor rigged with a short bit of chain rides on the port roller. The windlass has a capstan drum on this side, but the one time I have needed to use it I just raised it by hand.

I do not often find the need to use both anchors anyway. If your primary is properly sized you will not often need the second anchor.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 13:59   #4

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

For now, I use a hand-made rolling block lashed to the pulpit to guide the chain past my forestay. But that's clumsy and looks like cr*p.

Concept: I'll take a Stern Fairlead and mount it (with a bit of a tilt) adjacent to the forestay. This keeps the 2nd anchor's chain from rubbing against the forestay, allowing the chain to pass over the foredeck at a slight angle leading to the windless.

For Reference: I'm looking at Lewmar part 66840067, West Marine #9397233. This style roller allows removal of the chain as/when needed while holding the chain captive when it's installed but slack.

Suspected problem: Building something strong enough to withstand the forces (weight, directional pull, etc.) apparent when hoisting anchor and chain, and yet still have something that appears pleasing to the eye. {A piece of 5/8 line with a chain hook for a snubber will handle the stress once the anchor is deployed.}
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windlass