Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 08:59   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How good is the Rocna?

I've always thought the SS anchors and chains were eye candy for the Mega Yachts.
I'm going to install a wash down instead, I can afford a wash down
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:14   #212

Boat: Rafiki 37

Since we're talking stainless, I've wondered about whether the hardness/brittleness of ss is an issue. As we know, one of the negatives of ss is how it is tends to break more than bend. Isn't that the issue with ss rigging? Would there be any similar concerns around a ss anchor?
Old 21-09-2016, 09:15   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
Hudson's claim that all anchors are equal is an amusing insight. He claims that the apparent differences among anchors is an illusion which can be dispelled by learning the sophisticated techniques that only he possesses.
One wonders, if all anchors are the same, why has he used different ones.
Perhaps it is not a question of physics, but of aesthetics.
Since so many of us do not have his skill, he should explain in detail just what techniques the rest of us are missing.
pdenton
I have taken advantage of the improvements in anchors and I expect to benefit from future improvements, but nothing would keep me from functioning well with today's Rocna just as all those cruisers in the past functioned with the CQR. I did not mean to imply that all anchors are identical. Thanks for pointing this out. I wouldn't want to support the idea that there have not been improvements in anchors.

In addition, I was encouraging everyone to remain suspect of how well their anchor might hold. For me, this is because I have no "skill or techniques that the rest are missing". I do hope to keep the skills of all those that are accustomed to good anchoring practices and I'm sure I could learn more. I apologize if I presented myself as having some special skill. That was not my intent.
Old 21-09-2016, 09:25   #214
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I have taken advantage of the improvements in anchors and I expect to benefit from future improvements, but nothing would keep me from functioning well with today's Rocna just as all those cruisers in the past functioned with the CQR. I did not mean to imply that all anchors are identical. Thanks for pointing this out. I wouldn't want to support the idea that there have not been improvements in anchors.

In addition, I was encouraging everyone to remain suspect of how well their anchor might hold. For me, this is because I have no "skill or techniques that the rest are missing". I do hope to keep the skills of all those that are accustomed to good anchoring practices and I'm sure I could learn more. I apologize if I presented myself as having some special skill. That was not my intent.
That is very kind of you to react to pdenton's hubris with such a thoughtful followup.

I think that you were quite clear in your original post. However, the subtle understanding of human nature that your post contains is often lost on a first reading - by some, with others totally unable to grasp the meaning.

Pdenton has a chance to reread your post and then confess his misunderstanding.

Till then I found your thoughts to be very apropos.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:36   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've always thought the SS anchors and chains were eye candy for the Mega Yachts.
I'm going to install a wash down instead, I can afford a wash down
I always thought shiny SS anchors were a 'please rob me' sign at marinas
Old 21-09-2016, 09:37   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Since we're talking stainless, I've wondered about whether the hardness/brittleness of ss is an issue. As we know, one of the negatives of ss is how it is tends to break more than bend. Isn't that the issue with ss rigging? Would there be any similar concerns around a ss anchor?

Stainless comes in different "Hardness" as In 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard etc.
Sounds odd I know, I'd expect a Rockwell number not 1/4 ,1/2 etc.
The harder of course the less likely to bend, the stronger, but more likely to break as opposed to bend

On edit, something like an Anchor that has such massive structure, bending and or breaking like the old Rocna's were apparently subject to , has to be just pure junk steel, if you could even call it steel. SS can and should be way more than strong enough
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:13   #217
cruiser

Here's what a stainless 316 anchor looks like after 600 days on the bottom and 600 days on the hard, still straight and shiny despite many windy nights and wind shifts at anchor.

Too many stainless myths to dispell, you'll just have to read up on the metallurgy yourself this time. We see plenty of them here in the Med.

Stainless gains superior strength via structural design and working the metal, you don't see it used as welded iron bar stock like most other galvanized anchors. It's much different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	131515  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:42   #218

Thanks guys. It was just a question. Since the failure path for ss rigging, shackles, etc is usually a sudden fracture, I just wondered about anchors. I've never heard of one breaking, although I have heard of normal steel anchors bending.
Old 21-09-2016, 12:52   #219
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks guys. It was just a question. Since the failure path for ss rigging, shackles, etc is usually a sudden fracture, I just wondered about anchors. I've never heard of one breaking, although I have heard of normal steel anchors bending.
Think in terms of an "I" beam as an example for adding strength. High quality stainless 316 will actually bend rather than fracture.

Six years ago, I did see a very large Ultra anchor with a bent shank. I can't imagine how it must have happened, but the company immediately replaced the anchor with a new one under warranty.

I'm surprised the stainless models aren't more popular in North America, it really does solve several of the issues associated with galvanized models.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 14:26   #220

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
My understanding is that it is usually stress corrosion cracking that kills Stainless rigging wire. This is something the common marine grades like 316 and 304 are prone to in the presence of clorides like salt, and tensile loads. Materials like bisalloy 80 and other similar high tensile steels typically have much better strength properties than 316 stainless.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-09-2016, 14:49   #221

Boat: Bristol 41.1

As for a non-stick coating for anchors, I got your non-stick right here:

redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 16:19   #222

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Fresh off the press, and somewhat relevant to the discussion.

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 16:45   #223

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Wow, Steve, that was a surprise!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 16:51   #224
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Steve,

Holy Anchors! Or Holely Anchors!

That is one of the most interesting videos, from your very interesting series.

Why? It shows the mod process, and your narration makes it clear that one idea led to another. That was cool to see.

Earlier in the video I did not expect those holes (as shown in the Sarca design) to make such a difference, and thought it was more like a design gimmick (that did not add significant improvement). Before you tried them, I thought the other mods would have done the trick or been more important. Seeing the results is eye opening.

Well done!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 16:57   #225

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Thanks, Steady.

Ya, was a little skeptical myself about the holes. Rex Francis is the last person I would expect to promote a 'gimmick', but I just could not believe the concept would have as powerful effect as it does.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna