Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 21:30   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How good is the Rocna?

pdenton:

There are a couple of very informative anchoring threads you might be interested in:

"Photos of Anchors Setting" posted by noelex and Seaworthy Lass, with some contributions from other CF'ers, and "Videos of Anchors Setting" by Panope.

Enjoy.

Ann
Old 01-06-2016, 21:48   #17

I use a rocna 10kg for my 32 ericson. Love that anchor. I was worried it's at the upper end of the spec for my boat. I contacted Peter who designed the original rocna. He mentioned this size is just fine. They apparently already oversized the recommended sizes. You don't need to go one size bigger -- unless you are planning to go into higher latitudes and need to anchor in places like Tierra del Fuego...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 22:10   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I own a Rocna 20kg, a Manson Supreme #35, and used to own an aluminum Spade 80. I sold the AL Spade because it didn't set in hard packed sand and I dragged. The Spade has a larger tip cross section and the triangular geometry of the tip does not penetrate hard bottoms as easily as the flatter blades of the Manson/Rocna. I have dragged slowly with the Rocna in soft ooze mud. I assume the M-Supreme would also drag in similar mud.

The M-Supreme and Rocna are similar in performance. The difference between them is "mice nuts" (small). Both bring up a ball of mud/weed in the hoop. The Manson is sharper in the blade tip and I believe would set easier in hard bottom, and penetrate weed better. If you have a bowsprit as I do, I can fit a bigger Rocna because (for equal size) the Manson has a higher shank and hoop. (20kg Rocna vs. #35 Manson).

The hoop might limit deep bottom penetration. They are all great anchors and any would serve well as a primary. However, if you get a Spade I suggest the steel model (not AL) for better weight and penetration.

That's my summary in a nutshell.

PS - I sail a 12 meter tri. Lighter weight but more windage than a mono.
The Spade A80 only weighs 15 pounds. I'm not surprised you felt it inferior.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 22:23   #19
cruiser

I've used both if you consider our Ultra anchor to be similar to the Spade, and much prefer the Spade style Ultra without the roll bar.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:27   #20

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I've had a Rocna 25kg for my 36 footer (about 10 tonne) and it's great. So far in the three years I've had it, I've not dragged.

If you look at the Rocna web page, they make size recommendations. Abide by those recommendations.

When I first got mine I had a few people comment at the boat yard that I've over done the size and were surprised when I told them it's the recommended size. There are a lot of boats around here with very small appendixes.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:02   #21

Delta good Rocna better Ultra best
asolmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:39   #22

Realistically you also need to look at your budget. New age anchors are incredibly expensive. This is important if your budget is tight or if you are one of us who have lost anchors before .

For half the price of a Rocna you can get a hugely oversized Bruce-type or Danforth-type, or a stockless.

That's the route I took last time. Crappy Danforth copy but more than double oversized and held like a rock.

Just something to think about.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:50   #23

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Realistically you also need to look at your budget. New age anchors are incredibly expensive. This is important if your budget is tight or if you are one of us who have lost anchors before .

For half the price of a Rocna you can get a hugely oversized Bruce-type or Danforth-type, or a stockless.

That's the route I took last time. Crappy Danforth copy but more than double oversized and held like a rock.

Just something to think about.
very good point.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:28   #24

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Realistically you also need to look at your budget. New age anchors are incredibly expensive. This is important if your budget is tight or if you are one of us who have lost anchors before
Since you're trusting this to keep your boat (and you) safe, and off the rocks - you might not want to economize on something as important as ground tackle.

I heartily endorse the Rocna (33kg on 15T, 47ft ketch), but believe it's probably no better than any of the other new-gen anchors. Get what fits your bow roller.

PS. Have dragged (only once) with the Rocna, but that was under-scoped on thin layer of sand over hard pan. Crowded anchorage in the Bahamas - never again. Let out another 20' of chain and didn't move the rest of the night, btw.
Was extremely difficult to weigh out of thick mud - the downside of its performance.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
....and how much is your boat worth when it's a pile of broken fiberglass on a reef?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
....and how much is your boat worth when it's a pile of broken fiberglass on a reef?
Scare tactics... lovely! Not a good way to advise someone who is looking for feedback. I tend to think that it's not your anchor that keeps you off the reef, but your experience, skills, common sense and your brain. Or would you trade all those things in for a Rocna??
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:09   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm with Lodesman here. As a budget cruiser (which I am), the one area I would never look to save $$$ on is my anchor system. These new anchors are more expensive than the older style versions. There's a reason for that: the new gen are simply better.

Before going to our Rocna I carried both a large danforth and a large CQR on our bow. We would routinely switch between them depending on bottom. The Rocna (and I assume the other new gens as well) cover the spectrum that these two older ones did, and it does it better. I still carry a large danforth, and a smaller Bruce, along with a monster Fortress for storms. I've used the Bruce as a stern anchor and a kedge, but 95% of the time it's the Rocna alone.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:13   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
Which is better the spade or the rocna. The spade seems to be a lot more expensive. What would you recommend for 35 foot full keel sailboat.
I have a lot of experience with both anchors over a number of years.

The Rocna is a very good anchor and I'm sure you would be happy with it. Worlds better than older type anchors.

The Spade is better balanced and sets more easily, and it is easier to retrieve into an anchor roller because its balance makes it come up right side up. It fits better on more boats because there's no roll bar. On the negative side, it's badly galvanized and can't be easily re-galvanized, so looks like crap after a few seasons of intense anchoring.

My choice is Spade, but I agree with others that you can't go badly wrong here. YMMV. Look also at the Mantus, which is supposed to be better than other roll bar anchors.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:19   #29

Boat: Rinker, Captiva 232 Runabout

finally a thread I can respond too with some experience, though admittedly, it may only be anecdotal for you all...

I am currently only a cruiser dreamer, and am limited to inland boating on a 25 ft ski boat on the weekends here in central Illinois. For the first 3 seasons I had my boat, anchoring was as challenge, and in the slightest wind we always dragged....

Last year for fathers day I got a Rocna 6 (13 lb) and anchoring has been a dream since. Over Memorial day weekend, the lake was very busy, and between the wind and boat traffic, it was pretty rough. In the cove we anchored in I had 5 boats virtually identical to mine and 1 pontoon, and I was the only boat with an anchor set. I really became a bit nervous when everyone let out their bimini tops, which acted like kites, but we never moved....

We did have to help move at least 5 other boats that kept dragging back into us over the course of the day though.....
Badco_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:30   #30

The Rocna is easily the best anchoring technology available today. It is possible that something better may come along in due course but so far nothing has. It should be noted that the Manson Supreme was a Rocna copy but Manson were obliged, because of legal pressure, to change it somewhat. In fact Manson is a parasitic company that never engages in research and development therefore I will never support them. The Spade is a good anchor but, because it has lead tip weighting, does not have the fluke area to weight ratio that the Rocna has nor does it set as quickly.
No other anchor will reset as quickly as a Rocna in those circumstances where radical swing occurs, ie a 180* wind shift.
For your vessel a 25kg Rocna will perform well. You will return to your vessel to find it where you left it.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna