Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 17:46   #121

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: How good is the Rocna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

(...)

Genuine Bruce is pretty pricey, too. Right?
Everything collectable is pricey.

We paid less than USD 200 for a 33-pounder three years ago. I can see Rocna 33 at USD 300 right now. Not much price difference then.

By original I mean the Belgian one only.

b.
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 17:55   #122

Boat: Catalina 470

The price of the most expensive anchor is trivial relative to the price of the boat and the importance of an anchors job......skimp on other things not an anchor. A good anchor plus anchor alarm enable a good night's sleep and peace of mind when you are away from the boat.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 18:52   #123
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Can't see that an anchor relieves one from having insurance. If nothing else, what resources do you have to compensate others for possible damages you might cause?
Never been a problem compensating others for lack of insurance.
If you have a monster anchor it will protect and save your boat as well as the 10-15 boats behind you.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:31   #124

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Can't see that an anchor relieves one from having insurance. If nothing else, what resources do you have to compensate others for possible damages you might cause?
Mark, if that was in response to my post above, please note that I said "hull insurance". Third party (liability in the USA) insurance is there to compensate others whom you might damage, and is very much less expensive than full hull cover.

Jim
Old 08-06-2016, 16:50   #125

Emallina sent a message which the robot forwarded to me and I can't answer her directly because I can't find her email. So that's why am doing a non sequitur.
The cutting-edge of the rocna has been created with a cutting torch. Thus it is very sharp. In many cases unless there is wholesale degalvanizing the issue is strictly cosmetic. The zinc on the body of the blade will protect the edge. Or if you're really finicky, paint on some zinc paint. I just got rid of a 40-year-old CQR, most of the zinc was gone. It was a rusty mess, but the plow was just as untroubled as a new one.
When I got my rocna, it had an edge as sharp as any anchor I've ever seen. Not only sharp but serrated. In comparison all other anchors are butter knives.
PHD PhD
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 17:28   #126

Boat: Tartan 37

I remember the genuine Bruce and CQR were very expensive back in the early 90s. Both about $500 for the 30lb range. Back then I was a big fan of the Danforth Hi Tensile Deep-set, in sand it was a quick grab, alot like the newer anchors.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:29   #127

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36

The boat we currently own came with a 45 lb CQR. After getting tired of plowing through the anchorage when the wind picked up I read an article on AAC and found that they use their storm anchor as their main. So we bought a 60 lb Manson Supreme and have never regretted it. When the wind pipes up in the middle of the night we don't worry about dragging.

Our boat is 36' and weighs 22,000 lbs. the MS 60 is 2 sizes larger than what is recommended. The only issue is you have to be a little more aggressive when setting.

I think it was this forum where I learned the adage; If people aren't laughing when they see the size of your anchor, it's not big enough. 🙂
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 14:51   #128

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Echo View Post
The boat we currently own came with a 45 lb CQR. After getting tired of plowing through the anchorage when the wind picked up I read an article on AAC and found that they use their storm anchor as their main. So we bought a 60 lb Manson Supreme and have never regretted it. When the wind pipes up in the middle of the night we don't worry about dragging.

Our boat is 36' and weighs 22,000 lbs. the MS 60 is 2 sizes larger than what is recommended. The only issue is you have to be a little more aggressive when setting.

I think it was this forum where I learned the adage; If people aren't laughing when they see the size of your anchor, it's not big enough. 🙂
I've laughed at some of the incredibly 'small' size anchors on boats around here.

I was recently in Docklands in Melbourne where some filthy rich people have their really big super yachts and I was rather captivated walking around seeing the tiny tender size anchors on some of these monsters. I cannot understand having a million dollar yacht with a fancy stainless steel anchor that's the size of a loaf of bread.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 06:44   #129
Marine Service Provider

What is worse is when you go around at boat shows and see the incredibly undersized , wrong type anchors on the bows of brand new boats for sale. Its one thing for a customer to choose the wrong anchor , but to sell your boat with the wrong ground tackle is a shame.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 09:15   #130

Thus it is that we assemble to reason together.
Old 13-06-2016, 11:23   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
What is worse is when you go around at boat shows and see the incredibly undersized , wrong type anchors on the bows of brand new boats for sale. Its one thing for a customer to choose the wrong anchor , but to sell your boat with the wrong ground tackle is a shame.
They are usually delta anchors, least expensive and often matches the boat perfectly.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 11:30   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
They are usually delta anchors, least expensive and often matches the boat perfectly.
Agree with the least experiences.

Coould you explain the matches part?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 23:56   #133

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

My 2 cents...I think the Rocna is a good anchor, except for that roll bar. Hard to hang off a bow roller, and a friend of mine got a rock stuck in it and dragged, so...I've used a genuine CQR on the past 2 boats I've owned and cruised with and never had a problem, {except the one time I impaled a broken wine bottle and couldn't get it to set. Pulled it up thinking I'd move to a new spot, discovered the bottle stuck firm, and had to break it off with a hammer...} If..no when I win the Spade anchor, I'll definitely go for that. Then I'll do my own tests
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 18:44   #134

I have just installed a bow roller system which fits my rocna just fine. I'n not kidding, I gave a buddy in the boatyard a 35# CQR. As we used to say in the glory days of sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll: Whatever gets you through the night.
Old 15-06-2016, 18:51   #135

In the States the high dollar sportfishing yachts don't even have anchors. You don't think they anchor out?

Tags
rocna