Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2021, 09:37   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
How large a boat can I trailer ?

Pulling a 6t cruiser plus a big custom welded trailer with a Toyota Land Cruiser is madness. The tow weight will be well in the excess of the towbar rating . It would be a very foolish undertaking

A farm tractor “ could” do this and is the only practical method along with a custom trailer usually fabricated from ex truck parts.

( this will be expensive if you wish to have it constructed )

Self launch is possible but recovery will need travel lift or a crane both of which are widely available in the various marinas around where the OP Is basing his boat.

The other thing is most marinas in the area the OP is are set up for annual berths, which typically includes winter lift out and hard standing

Hence it may not be possible to actually save any money.
Old 16-08-2021, 10:23   #32

Re: How large a boat can I trailer ?

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle...ns_Leaflet.pdf
I have a couple of heavy truck springs if they are of use to you. Location, Balbriggan
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 11:06   #33

The problem is not pulling it, it’s stopping it on a slope, (or boat ramp) I had a 34’ Scarab Supersport. I used a one ton manual transmission diesel truck to pull it. On a steep ramp launching it will also launch your Jeep. You will not be able to stop it.
Cajunexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 11:44   #34

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I don't think you will like to do this.

I trailered a 30ft retractable keel sloop which weighed about 4000lbs for four years.

I ramp launched it.

Putting the mast up and down was very difficult even with well engineered jockey pole system. I had two unfortunate incidents. Once I dropped the mast on a car in the parking lot near the ramp. Big dent. A second time, to avoid putting the mast up and down I moved the boat to the storage lot at the marina, but forgot to stay in the center lane of the access road and consequently hit a street light standard which broke the light, broke the mast and yanked the trailer of the truck I was using as a tow vehicle. It also blew fuses in the village, and made such a racket as everything clattered to the pavement that all the sailors in the vicinity (it was race day) became spectators to my stupidity. From then on I used the hoist and avoided the whole mast thing.

Next issue: Your Jeep might be able to move that boat, regardless of the official towing capacity, but stopping and turning corners with it may be exciting. You might find that the boat winds up towing the jeep.

Cooling system and brakes, not designed for the load.
C&C Mega 30?
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 12:16   #35

Hmmm, I see images of the tractor tipping scene in the Cars movie in my head ...
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 13:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunexpat View Post
The problem is not pulling it, it’s stopping it on a slope, (or boat ramp) I had a 34’ Scarab Supersport. I used a one ton manual transmission diesel truck to pull it. On a steep ramp launching it will also launch your Jeep. You will not be able to stop it.
Stop with the truck on horizontal ground, brakes, in gear, and chocks. Let trailer down the slope with block n tackle or winch. Many ramps have a solid anchor-point at the top anyway.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 21:37   #37

So many experts here that have apparently never been to a large busy boat ramp and seen the big heavy center consoles, day cruisers and cabin cruisers being launched every day without issue. You'll need a decent trailer and depending on the ramp plenty of poop to get her in and out but I have watched many 12,000+ Lb displacement boats being launched without drama or issue. Since you are only a few kilometers from the ramps I'd just go with a tractor and do it at night so traffic is at a minimum with a lead car and clearance lights.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 16:39   #38
rla

I've always wanted to have an easily moveable boat.
it is/was legal in the UK to have an artic trailer on a Landrover or similar which allowed up to 12 tons gross train weight.
Ford did an A class transit in the early 70s and advertised it for that purpose.
I did contact Ford in the 80s and was sent details of an Iveco truck with 5th wheel artic trailers made by a Dutch company for up to 12 tons.

I fancied putting skip lorry arms on the trailer to lift the boat on and off at slips or wharfs.
1 day runs to other sailing areas and even ferry trips to Ireland or Europe were possible .
A tractor and an low load trailer, with skip lorry arms are your most practical solution for your local launch, where you can probably arrange the right sort of easy access too.
rla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 18:49   #39

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

A Jeep that can tow over 18,000 lbs?
My Ford diesel F-350 four door dually is only rated to bumper tow 18000 pounds.
What model Jeep is this?
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 05:26   #40

How large a boat can I trailer ?

Here ya go, a neat 20 tons. Me in the tractor.......the 30 hp petrol engine tractor on the way down the main road to the launch ramp in Ballina, Australia.
I got the inspiration from a guy who did the same thing .......200 miles with a 90’ steel yacht launched in Melbourne but towed by a truck.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2667.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	244044
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:35   #41

This solution may have already been proposed-pardon the repetition. You say you’ve access to a tractor-presumably there’s a trailer around to haul that tractor from place to place. Hire the guy who moves the tractor to move your boat that you’ve provided a nice stout cradle (steel) for it to nest in.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, trailer