Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 13:57   #1

Boat: Grand Banks M/Y 42
How long should an anchor snubber be?

Ive read most of the threads on anchoring and the question i cant find the answer to is How long should the snubber be?

Over to the experts.
No Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 14:04   #2

Re: How long should an anchor snubber be?

I would make it about 25 feet. Nice to have that extra occassionally. On a 42 foot boat I would go 9/16-5/8" nylon. Amazing how much nylon stretches under load.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 14:05   #3
cruiser

Mines 60' But I put out 15' normally. If some weather comes through and I need to let out more chain I don't have to adjust the hook (Mantus). I never anchor with less than 5:1 with 3/8" chain.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 14:21   #4

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

At least 5m. On my boat (12m - 40ft) I use 16mm Nylon 3 strand. Braided with no core is better for heavy cyclic loading - that will be the new snubber next time. I have 2. One in use every overnight, is the 5m. I have another at 10m for severe conditions.The extra length gives more spring/shock absorbing effect.
Old 03-04-2014, 14:34   #5

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

The primary reason for the anchor bridle/snubber is to take the strain off the windless and on the Samson post or cleats. Save wear and tear on the windless. Not so much for the stretch even for all chain as the chain weight allows plenty of give.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 14:43   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would say that when the hook or knot etc., could touch the bottom. should determine the length. For our boat with a bow sprit, 25' is about right so you can adjust it on deck.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 14:58   #7

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

rw58ph, that was not the question the OP asked - not what its for, but how long. And, by the way, the primary reason is, I agree, to remove the load from the capstan. However the spring effect absorbs noise, (important if someones sleeping fwd), and, more importantly provides an elastic connection in conditions where the catenary effect of the chain has been used up. Many people use snubbers that are WAY to short to be effective at this. They do decrease shock loading, making the cleat or sampson posts job easier, and will make riding to anchor generally more pleasant. In my experience, and IMO.
Old 03-04-2014, 15:03   #8

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I think it depends on the size of snubber line that you are using and how much stretch you desire.

I use a 30' 5/8" three strand. I won't always use that much, but it is nice to be able to have extra to let it out if needed.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 15:09   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44

I have no idea. I think 1/2" New England rope at 7500 lbs breaking strength is enough. Model # 122630 | Mfg # 7050-10-00600. With some dyneema getting it onto the boat and around a cleat. Your shackle won't have that load capability usually. So soft shackle then 25 feet of 3 strand and then 10 feet of dyneema. If it blows up you let out more if it's bad you go to the dyneema for the chafe. Screwed around with different variants. Dyneema to the chain and back on deck. Then 3 strand to mid cleat. I think now it's better the 3 strand is water side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396562835.886541.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	78695
1/2 looks small so 9/16 would be better but the load capability if using tested stuff should be fine.
I might change my mind next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 15:23   #10

I've posted this before from a friend's cruise from Vancouver, BC to Mexico. Makes a lot of sense:

...all 20kg of the anchor with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 15:33   #11
cruiser

Length is key, I've noticed some people recently only put 3' out and chain going straight up to roller. No loop of hanging chain. When in wind it seems to pull at both the snubber and chain in a awkward angle. Kinda defeats the purpose. Not a hook thread but the Mantus stainless hook is worth the money. I don't use a shackle but have a amsteel lashing joining the hook to a plastic thimble on the 5/8" 3 strand snubber.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 15:33   #12

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: How long should an anchor snubber be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I've posted this before from a friend's cruise from Vancouver, BC to Mexico. Makes a lot of sense:

...all 20kg of the anchor with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)
Not sure I snapped on this before but I like it. Chain in the locker is no help at all.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 18:26   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
The primary reason for the anchor bridle/snubber is to take the strain off the windless and on the Samson post or cleats. Save wear and tear on the windless. Not so much for the stretch even for all chain as the chain weight allows plenty of give.
I would have to disagree with this, and on two points. The primary purpose of snubbers, as the name implies. is to "snub", that is, to introduce elasticity into the system. The snubbing effect of chain catenary is greatest with light loads, and disappears just when you need it most - at higher loads when the catenary is pulled out. A snatch load on a tight chain can rip your bow roller off.

In order to have a useful amount of elasticity, the snubber cannot be sized to be as strong as the rest of your ground tackle. Therefore, if you use your snubber as the only means of belaying the chain, you've introduced a severe weak point. You really should use a chain stopper, or a strop as strong as your chain, for this purpose. Not the snubber!

As to how long it should be (the original question): the lighter it is, the shorter it can be, for a given amount of stretch. So in benign weather, you can use a light, short one. My light weather snubber is 6 meters long. For rougher conditions, you will want stronger line, and you need to make the snubber longer to get back the elasticity. I have a variety of snubbers on board - also 10, and 15 meters, besides the light 6 meter one.

For belaying the chain and taking the load off the windlass, I use a sturdy length of stainless steel chain with a chain hook shackled to it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 19:14   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Water depth matters too. Shallow water means less chain and steeper waves, and thus, more snubber is needed. One of the reasons exeriences vary.
Old 03-04-2014, 19:22   #15

Boat: csy 37

20000 lb boat. 45 lb manson anchor. 130 ft 3/8" BBB chain. anchoring depths from 8 to 15 feet. snubber is 20 feet of 1/2" 3 strand nylon with a grab hook.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass