Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2024, 00:18   #16

Boat: CS 27
Re: How much rode can I get into my anchor locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I have a similar boat. The 1/2" is fine and adding the 50' should not be a problem. Do you have a photo of your anchor locker? Is it in the foredeck and does it seem full now?
My anchor locker has a vertical drop of 18", and currently have about 10-12" of clearance from the lid to the top of the pile. The recommendation is to have 12" of clear drop from the windlass to the top of the pile. I'm just barely in that recommended clearance.
jooa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:21   #17

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Our 28' boat used 20' of 1/4" chain and 150' of 3/8" three strand. We never had a problem with it. Our 43' powerboat, which has a weight of about 4X - 5X the 28' uses 30' of 5/16" chain then 200' of 9/16" three strand.
Half inch or larger rode is overkill for your boat. A rode too large will eliminate the "cushion" gained from the ability of your boat to slightly stretch the rode during a surge resulting on more stress on the boat.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 10:10   #18

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

Another thing to consider is how the bow will handle the weight. 5/8 chain is pretty heavy, so are windlasses. You may want to consider a taking a couple of bucket of sand weighing the same as the net increase in weight of your mods and put it on deck centered where your installation will be. See what it does to your waterline before making a final decision. Also as a previous poster said, if the chain doesn't have adequate fall, a windlass is not going to work anyhow.
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchor locker, rode