Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2022, 13:40   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
How to manage snubber rubbing on bobstay

Hello fellow anchor riders. Currently anchored in a storm surging upto 50kts near Mersin, TURKEY. I put out a bridle system for the anchor snubber but I am having a hard time preventing it from rubbing on the bobstay. It is a simple question of geometry really and I can’t really think of a straightforward answer but I figured I’d ask anyways. Is there some trick to stopping the snubber from rubbing up and down the bobstay and chafing the line?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC42AF82-820E-4BB0-9C0E-6F8D1716F16D.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	261125  
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 13:57   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: How to manage snubber rubbing on bobstay

At the bottom of the bobstay, construct a strong eye. Attach snubber through a block there and up and over your second roller. Chain hangs in a loop.
Use Kodiak anchor system. Search our old posts.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 14:02   #3

Boat: Grampian 30

Possibly lengthening the bridle, thus putting the apex farther away from the bobstay, and more distance between each leg and the stay.

Chafe protection on the bridle legs and/or the stay?

Some rubber hose around the stay would be good protection for the lines, although I'm sure challenging to install in the middle of a storm.

Hose on the bridle legs would probably wear through quickly against the stay, but if you have some leather, canvas, or some denim jeans you're willing to sacrifice, wrapping the line with that would be good chafe protection. Easier to install as well.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 14:39   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

If you lengthen the bridal too much, and the bow takes a big dip, the bowsprit can dive under the snubber and when the bow of the boat pulls up, it can snap the bowsprit right off and bring down the rig. I’ve seen this happen.
People have put plastic pipe over the bobstay and I’ve seen chain bobstay done with everything from fancy rope work to fire hose.
When the anchor chain or snubber or both work up and down any bobstay it will keep you up all night...even stainless rod bobstay.
The answer is simple. An attachment point at the waterline lower than the point at which the bobstay begins.
This also helps the vessel ride up and over the waves rather than plow into them.
Look at some videos of boats on moorings in a hurricane and see the stresses as they hobby horse and dig into the waves.
The manatee crew learned how to anchor from the commercial fishermen in Kodiak Alaska and we have the utmost respect for their system.
Captain Mark and the manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 14:52   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I have seen people put clear plastic hose over the bobstay. The snubber still goes there, but it is protected from chafe for a while by the hose. I'd imagine it would be replaced annually, at haulout time.

Ann
Old 18-07-2022, 07:43   #6

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

We use firehose long enough to protect from chafe from above the bow to below the bobstay, about 5 feet each leg of the bridle. This is our storm snubber and is cleated at the mid cleats to provide 30 feet or so of stretch.

We also installed a friction ring to our bobstay tang at the waterline to use a lighter, normal use snubber that allows for using less rode which comes in handy for close quarters anchoring situations. The snubber line is 35 feet long with allows us to let out more rode and provide more stretch if the wind/waves kick up. This line gets cleated on the windlass horn, runs over the bow and through the friction ring. When raising anchor the chain hook is secured on deck so the snubber stays in place all the time so there is no need to re-string it through the friction ring every time we anchor.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 09:56   #7

Boat: Bayfield 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post

We also installed a friction ring to our bobstay tang at the waterline to use a lighter, normal use snubber that allows for using less rode which comes in handy for close quarters anchoring situations. The snubber line is 35 feet long with allows us to let out more rode and provide more stretch if the wind/waves kick up. This line gets cleated on the windlass horn, runs over the bow and through the friction ring. When raising anchor the chain hook is secured on deck so the snubber stays in place all the time so there is no need to re-string it through the friction ring every time we anchor.
Thank you. The friction ring solution is the best I've seen, especially stowing the chain hook end over the bow roller. On my Bayfield 36, the idle snubber would follow the bobstay up to the bowsprit end. This would be much more attractive than other solutions that have the idle snubber run up the side of the hull and through a chock or to a cleat.

Found a couple of photos on your Instagram.

Dennis
s/v Ferrity
Ferrity is offline   Reply With Quote