Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2023, 18:53   #1

How to purchase a Vulcan 33 in Ensenada Mexico

I am currently in Ensenada at Baha Naval boat yard. When work is complete I intend to travel south and spend much of the year in the Sea of Cortez. Anchoring along the Pacific side of the Baha as well as within the SOC one can encounter some pretty sudden and violent winds.

My boat is a Kadey Krogen 39 and weighs in at 38,000 lbs. I currently have a 35# Bruce, a 35# Lewmar CQR and a Danforth. One ride is 350’ all chain, the other is 400’ 3/4” three-strand with 40’ of chain.

I want to upgrade from my Bruce to a Vulcan 33 as a storm anchor. I will keep the Bruce for lunches and more predictable water.

As mentioned previously I am in Mexico. I have only been able to locate one Vulcan 25 but it is rediculously expensive. Has anyone purchased this type of equipment while in Mexico? Is it the import tax running the price up?

If you know of a better dealer down here I would like to contact them. Otherwise I may just make a quick trip to San Diego.
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 12:44   #2

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C
Re: How to purchase a Vulcan 33 in Ensenada Mexico

I have tried to source various parts in Baja Mexico. Most marine parts cost more here. I think it has to do with the import tax and the fact that it is Baja Mexico.

I would make a run to San Diego to purchase it. Take a copy of your TIP and if customs stops you at the boarder you might get away without paying the import tax.

Good Luck

Tags
Mexico, purchase