Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 07:30   #1

How/Where to Anchor in a Hurricane/Typhoon

Introduction:

Hi folks: I have touched on this topic in a couple of other anchoring related-threads, but I feel it deserves its own thread, so here I am. Please share your experiences and advice on this thread and also feel free to post to my anchoring-related threads in the seamanship and challenge venues.

The Current Concern:

I am living aboard in a very cyclone-prone environment, and I would like to hear from folks who have experience and/or technical expertise regarding how and where to anchor when expecting cyclone strength winds. My boat is a light, 4 ton tri. with a 35lb. old-style Bruce anchor and two, somewhat smaller Danforths as backups.

Please feel free to share any related comments, experience, or advice.

Regards to all,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 08:20   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: How/Where to Anchor in a Hurricane/Typhoon

depends on which cyclone/typhoon area you are desirous of sailing. they each have special areas and hidey holes specific to the types of storms that hit.
in general. hanging out in mangroves is a decent plan, but they have to present in proper direction for safety. know your area well.
mexico is different than caribbean and both are different from southeast asia. some basics apply, but, each has different issues
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 19:53   #3

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The track of a hurricane/typhoon is generally known days in advance. Also historical tracks are available. Best advice is to always be aware of the weather and leave the area in plenty of time. In 2 days you could be 300 miles off track. I've been there on ships and it's nothing to experience no matter how many sea adventure books you have read. It can rip big pieces off steel ships and sometimes sinks them. In a port and downwind of trees, debris is the killer. Attached is pic of WWII carrier Hornet after a typhoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021203.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	120734  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 20:13   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I have lifting chainplates installed on Exit Only so that I can be lifted out of the water by any ten ton crane and be set on dry land. If push comes to shove, I will pay to be lifted out.

I have been lifted by the chainplates three times in New Zealand in Whangarei, so I know they work without spreader bars. That's my ultimate hurricane plan.

If I am not getting lifted out, I assemble by Fx-110 fortress anchor and my seventy pound Beugel anchor. It works for me!
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 05:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The track of a hurricane/typhoon is generally known days in advance. Also historical tracks are available. Best advice is to always be aware of the weather and leave the area in plenty of time. In 2 days you could be 300 miles off track. I've been there on ships and it's nothing to experience no matter how many sea adventure books you have read. It can rip big pieces off steel ships and sometimes sinks them. In a port and downwind of trees, debris is the killer. Attached is pic of WWII carrier Hornet after a typhoon.
Hmm ... could be good advice. On a related note, I have been on a Navy, flat bottomed gater-freighter from San Diego to our expected destination in Korea, when we were hit by a hurricane west of Hawaii and were taking 35 degree rolls, which made it fun, and almost as easy, to walk on the walls as it was to walk on the deck. At 45 degrees, the gun turrets on the second or third deck were designed to fall off, in order to avoid rolling the ship.

At lunch, we took a roll that cleared the entire dining table of the officers mess, and, at that point the captain said, (to himself, of course) "F...k the mission". He called up to the QM, and told him to alter course, then, later went on to convince command that we needed get into dry dock to make needed repairs. : )

That worked for us : )
Old 15-03-2016, 05:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I have lifting chainplates installed on Exit Only so that I can be lifted out of the water by any ten ton crane and be set on dry land. If push comes to shove, I will pay to be lifted out.

I have been lifted by the chainplates three times in New Zealand in Whangarei, so I know they work without spreader bars. That's my ultimate hurricane plan.

If I am not getting lifted out, I assemble by Fx-110 fortress anchor and my seventy pound Beugel anchor. It works for me!
Thanks,

On Okinawa, I witnessed two different strategies. One, that I have documented on a separate thread, was to go into a river and tie off on trees. That worked well.

Also, guys would get lifted or trailered out and tie down to rings that had been imbedded in the asphalt of a nearby marina. That worked equally well, but, of course, both were subject to flying debris. Actually, up river was better in that regard because the Marina was not as well protected.

Appreciate your perspective,

G2L
Old 15-03-2016, 06:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How/Where to Anchor in a Hurricane/Typhoon

I have only one tactic..
GTF outa Dodge..
There's more boats that get wrecked doing 'All the Right Things' than survive..
I don't care what anyone says..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 06:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you can't get out of the water, go up river as far as possible and spiderweb tie into as much as possible, assuming you can. Remove everything off the boat you can before you go of course, sails, Bimini/dodger, panels etc.
That's my plan, thankfully I have not had to execute it yet, I guess plan B is to make sure insurance is paid up?
This has been worrying me lately for some reason, I feel as the Gulf of Mexico, Fl Panhandle is overdue.

On edit, I assume a light weight tri at anchor could get enough wind under it that it might "fly"?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 06:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have only one tactic..
GTF outa Dodge..
There's more boats that get wrecked doing 'All the Right Things' than survive..
I don't care what anyone says..
Yeah, seems to be the consensus, at this point. See my hopefully entertaining if not somewhat relevant tale down thread.

Where I am, I literally have pirates to the south of me, and humongous mooring fees to the north, but, in such cases one might consider the fees a bargain.

Thanks,

G2L
Old 15-03-2016, 06:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you can't get out of the water, go up river as far as possible and spiderweb tie into as much as possible, assuming you can. Remove everything off the boat you can before you go of course, sails, Bimini/dodger, panels etc.
That's my plan, thankfully I have not had to execute it yet, I guess plan B is to make sure insurance is paid up?
This has been worrying me lately for some reason, I feel as the Gulf of Mexico, Fl Panhandle is overdue.
Thanks, will escape if I can, will hide if I cant.

Regards,

G2L
Old 15-03-2016, 06:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How/Where to Anchor in a Hurricane/Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Yeah, seems to be the consensus, at this point. See my hopefully entertaining if not somewhat relevant tale down thread.

Where I am, I literally have pirates to the south of me, and humongous mooring fees to the north, but, in such cases one might consider the fees a bargain.

Thanks,

G2L
Sorry for the bluntness but not knowing your location and geography so one can view charts and GE for options that's the best I can offer.
Wind is not the only problem faced.. tidal surges also cause huge damage and can stretch remarkably far inland.. also debris sweeping down flooding rivers from the rain.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 06:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sorry for the bluntness but not knowing your location and geography so one can view charts and GE for options that's the best I can offer.
Wind is not the only problem faced.. tidal surges also cause huge damage and can stretch remarkably far inland.. also debris sweeping down flooding rivers from the rain.
Exactly, will respond to A64 on that as, going up river did not seem to help folks in Miss and Ga when Andrew hit.

Also, don't like to get too explicit on these threads, since there is no telling who might be reading. As one poster on another thread said, I am guilty of "dripping" information.

Sorry about that.

G2L
Old 15-03-2016, 06:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

On edit, I assume a light weight tri at anchor could get enough wind under it that it might "fly"?
Another thing I wanted to bring up is that, as Boatman mentioned above, tidal surge is a real factor. Up in N. Ga., on a lake, you would be protected from such phenomena, but the "tie up in a river" strategy did not seem to work for folks on the Gulf coast when Andrew hit.

Being a local, your perspective on that situation would be most welcomed.

Thanks again,

G2L
Old 15-03-2016, 06:57   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

G2L,

Here's a link to a reprint of the Soundings magazine cover story "Surviving a Storm at Anchor" by Tom Neale:

http://fortressanchors.com/SSA.pdf

Maxingout, I think you have the FX-125 model (which Tom references in his article) since we do not manufacture an FX-110 model.

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 07:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
G2L,

Here's a link to a reprint of the Soundings magazine cover story "Surviving a Storm at Anchor" by Tom Neale:

http://fortressanchors.com/SSA.pdf

Maxingout, I think you have the FX-125 model (which Tom references in his article) since we do not manufacture an FX-110 model.

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Thanks for the link. Will check it out.

G2L

Tags
hurricane, anchor