Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 17:43   #1

identifying chain manufacturer.

I have not had any luck with the search function here on CF, so I will ask in the anchor thread. I identified my chain with a lot of help from this group and I am going to look at a longer length (used) and want to know if there are identifying marks that indicate the manufacturer. I am trying to avoid buying Chinese chain, since it seems to have built a poor reputation. The seller doesnt know what it is (other than size). Any help is appreciated. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 17:56   #2

Re: identifying chain manufacturer.

The only markings I have ever seen on chain are identification of grade ("BBB", "G40", etc.)

Buying used chain I'd be more interested in the condition of the galvanizing than the country of manufacture.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 18:23   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Buying used chain I'd be more interested in the condition of the galvanizing than the country of manufacture.
Yep, that shiny galvo over bad welds is really nice... chain quality extends deep below the surface finish, and there have been enough apocryphal tales of poor chain from China to make me avoid it, used or new.

In Australia, at least one reputable chain maker marks the links with their "PWB" logo.

YMMV, but please don't anchor upwind of me on Chinese chain.

Jim
Old 16-11-2017, 10:15   #4

Does ACCO or Campbell or any of the Chinese companies put any identifying marks? I can tell the difference between the shiny electro plating (typical hardware store variety) and hot dipped, but that doesnt give you an idea of manufacturer. I think I remember some brands having markings, but looking at what I have now, the only thing I find is the G4. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 01:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I have not had any luck with the search function here on CF, so I will ask in the anchor thread. I identified my chain with a lot of help from this group and I am going to look at a longer length (used) and want to know if there are identifying marks that indicate the manufacturer. I am trying to avoid buying Chinese chain, since it seems to have built a poor reputation. The seller doesnt know what it is (other than size). Any help is appreciated. _____Grant.

A metallurgist can test the steel and tell you pretty much which smelter it came from. This would be the only sure way.
From a hardware you can buy chain. From a marine store you generally get tested chain. I know what I'd buy. Buying second hand chain isn't a big issue most large cities have a galvanising plant. And you can regal it.
You get a few lumpy pits but a hardwood hammer breaks up the frozen links
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote