Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 17:59   #16

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: I'm looking for a dual gypsy head windless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Why?

Why is it usually smaller sailing boats wanting weird things and multiple anchors?
Instead of carrying two anchors on the bow why not just get one bigger one that works?
I have often anchored where swing room was restricted by shallow water. Not talking by other boats. Two anchors on the bow will keep you from swinging into the shallows. 45* apart or even Bahamian moor.

No windlass, and combination rodes on previous boat, and I didn't hesitate to use both anchors many, many times. Now, with a windlass and all chain rode, it's more complicated, so I don't do this often, but I have.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 23:32   #17

Boat: Island Packet 420

My second anchor once saved my boat (and may be me) when I had an emergency on the ICW, in a current, heading under a bridge, and my prop shaft disconnected from the collar. I immediately went to drop my primary anchor and it jammed. My secondary anchor on the bow saved me from being potentially swept right into a bridge abutment. I will always keep a secondary anchor on the bow. Plus, as noted above, there are plenty of instances where that second anchor comes in handy.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 01:06   #18

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I have often anchored where swing room was restricted by shallow water. Not talking by other boats. Two anchors on the bow will keep you from swinging into the shallows. 45* apart or even Bahamian moor.
So why wouldn't you simply anchor in appropriate depth with sufficient swinging room on one anchor?
I usually always anchor near shallows.
It dries out beside us where I am anchored now and we ain't jumping over the side with 7.5ft draft and 65 tonne of boat to push off.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 04:36   #19

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So why wouldn't you simply anchor in appropriate depth with sufficient swinging room on one anchor?.
Because in these instances, that's all there was. And I don't mean others had gotten all the good spots, we may have been in a small pocket of water set off the channel, all by ourselves. If we don't use this spot, we would have to be a long distance away

In a many areas, if you're not prepared for anchoring this way, you will rule out lots of anchorages.

It's all to minimize the swinging circle for whatever reason.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 05:08   #20

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60
So why wouldn't you simply anchor in appropriate depth with sufficient swinging room on one anchor?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
In a many areas, if you're not prepared for anchoring this way, you will rule out lots of anchorages.

It's all to minimize the swinging circle for whatever reason.
Exactly that

Especially on a small boat with a relatively shallow draft, you can tuck in where other boats with only one hook simply can't due to lack of swinging room. The only point I would add is that the secondary anchor should be slightly smaller and of quick setting type to make it manageable to handle by hand with only a short scope of chain and mostly rope. For example, on our 5 ton, 28ft.Shannon cutter, we carry a 35 pound genuine CQR on mostly all chain which goes on a manual windlass and a 10Kg Rocna secondary on about 15ft of chain and the rest rope. I would recommend a similar set up for the OP. On a small boat this is a much more versatile, inexpensive and dependable set up than upgrading to an expensive (double gypsy) electric windlass IMHO.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 22:26   #21

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON REISWIG View Post
look up Lighthouse winch in Rubidoux Ca suburb of Riverside Ca.

We have been using a Lighthouse for the past 20 years. Can highly recommend them

http://www.lighthouse-mfg-usa.com/1501.html

Tags
gypsy, head, wind