Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 00:19   #31

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: In sand: Plow or Fortress?

Sounds good Brian.

Until now, I've never commented on the Chesapeake test. I know you have received some flak, but I just want you to know that I think it was a good test, albeit a completely different test than mine.

You have my word that any future testing that I conduct on your anchor(s) will be executed with the most honesty, accuracy, and fairness possible with an emphasis on making sure the camera system affects the anchor as little as possible.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Sounds good Brian.

Until now, I've never commented on the Chesapeake test. I know you have received some flak, but I just want you to know that I think it was a good test, albeit a completely different test than mine.

You have my word that any future testing that I conduct on your anchor(s) will be executed with the most honesty, accuracy, and fairness possible with an emphasis on making sure the camera system affects the anchor as little as possible.

Steve
Steve, thanks for your message of support, and I greatly appreciate your ongoing efforts to conduct fair, honest and straightforward anchor tests.

Your underwater filming techniques have been highly innovative, to say the least.

Several years ago there was an Italian boating magazine, Vela e Motore, who did an anchor test and they had a diver (or possibly two) filming this test on a sand sea bottom.

imgurl

upload pic

It was a straight pull test with some very interesting looking anchors, along with a few more common models. I received a tape video file which I digitized and I will upload it.

upload a picture

With all of the discussion about an anchor's resetting capability, this test served as a reminder that if an anchor does not hold much in a straight pull, then you might never find out how well it performs during a wind or tidal shift.....it will have broken free from the sea bottom long beforehand.

Safe anchoring,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors - The World's Best Anchors!
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:24   #33

I think the only anchor test has any value to cruisers at this point is a 180 degree reversal test. The seller whose anchor consistently holds or resets will sell a lot of anchors.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 13:07   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think the only anchor test has any value to cruisers at this point is a 180 degree reversal test. The seller whose anchor consistently holds or resets will sell a lot of anchors.

What follows is offered in a neutral (non critical) tone of voice:

While the straight pull test is easily repeatable (or testable), and should yield good results for well designed anchors, it seems to me the "wind shift" or reversal test is more telling.

I think many accounts of "anchor dragged during the night" are probably attributable to a wind shift.

And I think many sailors who are on a hook are rightly concerned about dragging, but a cause of their fear is the anticipation of a wind shift during the hours they are trying to sleep at anchor, or as a squall or storm passes.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fortress