Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 21:18   #1

Installing a permanent mooring anchor in Howe Sound

Hi everyone, I'm considering installing a private mooring buoy around the Howe Sound area, ideally at some point of the Sea-to-Sky Highway that will allow me to park the car, throw in the dinghy, and access the boat. I've been reading the Transport Canada regulations and from what I understand, there are few restrictions that I need to follow (i.e., 50m away from marinas, etc.. etc..)

First question is, what are the conditions in the area? How far up do the storms get (Porteau Cove, Furry Creek, Britannia Beach??). Considering extreme cases, what size anchoring system would I need for a 36' sailboat (say 15,000lbs). I went through a few articles and it seems that helix-type anchors would do the best job, any idea about local businesses that would install something like that? From what I understand you need a barge on the surface and gear to screw it in.

Does anyone have experience anchoring their boat outside marinas, and leaving it there? Safe or not? Any stories you wonna share? Would you prefer anchoring somewhere completely randomly, or in front of a bunch of houses at some beach-front community?

Thanks
welljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:09   #2

Re: Installing a permanent mooring anchor in Howe Sound

*bump*
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47   #3
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

If you want to save cash and avoid the barge consider dropping your own. You could build one yourself, but since your asking I would skip that and buy one. Somewhere I have a older book that has a chart by the long island yacht club for weight and chain size, length. The mooring I put together cost about 1300 all ready to go. I had a friend with a pontoon boat help me drop it. Heres mine in order 200# mushroom, swivel, 20'- 5/8" chain, 20'-1/2" chain, swivel, 35'-3/8" chain, swivel, 5'-3/8" chain, 18" ball (chain through middle, sleeved in 1 1/2" waste hose with a top and bottom bolt to hold it), large shackle on top of ball, 30'- 1" 3 strand pendant with thimble in one end and 24" loop in the other (30' is length after spliced ends). To do it right cost half a seasons dockage, but you own it. I pull mine ever fall and inspect it.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:14   #4

Thanks, would like to figure out the weather in said area so I can start from somewhere about anchor size. Have you been mooring your boat outside marinas for a while, and did you have any bad experience with intruders / thieves / other? What type of area are you moored at?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 18:32   #5
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I'm in lake champlain, between vermont and new york. Because the lake freezes all boats must be hauled, hauling cost money, hauled boats need storage on stands (more money), so no derelict boats at all. No junk boats means no shady people in mooring fields or anchorages, so very little crime. Boating up north is far different from what goes on in places that dont freeze. The only liveaboards are at marinas, and its only for the barely 5 month season.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 19:30   #6

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

That area gets some major winds ... they call them "Squamish's". I think you would need serious holding and your boat will be taking a beating.
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 21:34   #7

Welljim.

Were you successful installing a permanent mooring anchor close to the sea-to-sky after?

I'm new to the forum and new to sailing in general. I have limited resources and likely cannot afford the mooring fees at a marina so I am exploring my options. Currently my boat is in dry dock in New Westminster and I will be bringing it to Howe Sound in April. I'm exploring where to tie her up now.

Would love any information that could help me solve my problem of where to anchor my 24' del rey in the howe sound area (preferably closer to squamish or a parking lot along the sea-to-sky just as you had stated).

thanks
ben
Celtics1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 00:50   #8

I gave up on it, didn't try.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-08-2015, 19:56   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Welljim and Celtic'... I would avoid anchoring in Howe Sound anywhere north of Gambier Island. I towed logs and beachcomber the area in the 50's, 60's and early 70's and let me assure you there is plenty of foul ground with cables, old chain and a few sunken derelicts to contend with, particularly off Woodfiber, the old pulp mill on the west shore.
Additionally, there are the Squamish winds to contend with that blow right down the sound in winter. The southeastern' that blow in the other direction can also deliver quite impressive wave action because of the long fetch and the Sound constricting as you get north. If I were you and wasn't tied to the lower mainland for work or whatever, I would head up coast to one of the protected bays of which there are probably a million(!) and hang out there. Get yourself a little tinny with a small outboard to commute to Port Hardy or some similar spot on the mainland away from the city. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 21:54   #10

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

Make your way to Joe Cove Broughton Archipelago, just minutes from the floating town of Sullivan Bay. You can stay as long as you like!

eliems is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring