Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 16:08   #31

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: Installing a zinc anode on the anchor

Thought I'd follow up with my first draft Anchor Anode. Yes Anchor is new, I know electrically it may have issue but with Hi Tensile shank, didn't want to drill or weld and blade part is too skinny. I used the hole intended for a series anchor with a insertion rubber between anode and shank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010164.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	167157  
Old 27-03-2018, 03:16   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
... with a insertion rubber between anode and shank.
Anode needs to be in solid electrical contact with metal it's intended to protect.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 04:03   #33

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Anode needs to be in solid electrical contact with metal it's intended to protect.
Sorry for any confusion, but the surface between Anode and Cathode is often insulated, there is however electrical contact thru the head of the bolt.
Think if otherwise, Anode would get sloppy on the bolt, making it useless.

I would have preferred another fixing method but due to this anchor construction, my options are limited.
Old 27-03-2018, 04:22   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Very few people seem to have tried this and it would be good to read some reports if it makes any practical difference.

There are a few potential drawbacks:

Any weight on the shank significantly decreases the performance of most modern anchors. It does not take much weight to have a noticeable effect on the centre of gravity. This is the main reason why many modern anchors use hi-tensile steel in the shank rather than a slightly thicker (and therefore equaly strong) section of mild steel.

Anchors need to bury to work well. If you look at the lower edge of shank on the Vulcan in the photo you can see that it is tapered for this reason. The anchor can become completely buried in some conditions. An anode is going to reduce the depth of bury, but how much of a practical effect on the holding is difficult to predict.

I would not use a zinc anode. Because there are different mixes of zinc it is possible the anode would actually be cathodic to the zinc in the galvanising. This would corrode the galvanising rather than providing protection. An aluminium anode would be better, and this also minimises the weight problem.

I would also suggest two small anodes on either side of the shank rather than a larger anode on one side. Anchors need to be symetrical in terms of weight and particularly in refrence to drag through the substrate. Without this they will struggle to orient themselves upright.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor