Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 06:02   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Is my chain rode too small?

My error earlier was that I said the "breaking strain" of G40 is twice that of proof coil, when I meant to write that the "working load" is twice. Proof coil is 1300 lbs and G40 is 2600 pounds.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:18   #17

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Thats still a lot of force.

I agree with above. Chances are unless the chain is very old & corroded something else will break first. I use 3/8 BBB but it is more for the weight, than the breaking test.

1/4" is small chain, but not out of line for all chain rode. I use chain leader only, with double braid rode.

The biggest load on the chain is shock loads, so use a good snubber,....or 2.
Also have plenty of catenary, (put out a little more chain for depth).

I've bent a 1/4" stainless swivel, during rough weather, but it didn't break, (I upgraded to 3/8 imediately.) Moral is; inspect chain and fittings often. IF it isn't strong enough, and you see any grooving, bending, elongation of links, etc...upgrade.

Where are you going? Local bay? Antartica? Anchoring through a hurricane?

What you are going to use it for makes a huge difference on what you will need.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:30   #18

Boat: Looking for a new boat

icw to bahamas
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 14:37   #19

Boat: CS 36t

The strength of your chain when new is more than adequate for almost any conditions that you will reasonably anchor in. The problem will be that it will wear out quickly because you don't have a lot of extra strength and it won't take much wear to significantly reduce the strength. If you don't mind replacing the chain often, then I wouldn't worry about it unless your hurricane plan involves this chain.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 14:52   #20

If it is 1/4" G40, it can handle 2600 pounds routinely, and should take 7800 pounds to break.

Can every other piece of the system (the windlass bolt backing plates, the snubber cleats, the shackle, etc.) handle three and a half tons without breaking?

Going to heavier chain doesn't make much sense unless the chain is the weakest link in an otherwise sturdy system. If an upgrade is called for, higher-strength chain and a heavy anchor is usually a better bet than heavier chain and a light anchor.

My gut always has trouble going to 1/4 on any boat. However, that's not a real heavy boat. I've used 5/16 HT or 3/8 on 47, 42 and 44 footers two of which were heavy boats. (Passport 47 and Tanton 44) I think you're good if you do things properly. If I'm parting chain at 7500 lbs without breaking the snubber or tearing the boat apart.... I shouldnt be where i'm located!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 16:14   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The chain should be fine. Don was right in pointing out that there are many weak links in the system and actually breaking the chain is not the most likely. Even more to the point, the ONLY way you can approach those loads is with snatch loads caused by anchoring on all-chain in shallow water. The cure?

Sail Delmarva: How Quickly Things Can Change...

A long snubber for use in exposed anchorages. 50 feet of ~ 7/16" line might be a good starting point. I'm sure there will be many opinions. Chain is great for cut resistance, but its lack of stretch is troubling at times. Nearly all of the failures I am familiar with are related to breaking waves in shallow waters.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04   #22

Actually a long snubber is going to stretch so much that the chain will snub up tight. Heck I've had that happen with a 20 foot (total length) snubber in a good blow. I guess if you leave a whole lot of loose chain it might be OK.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:29   #23

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I have a Dufour 35. heading south to the South Pacific. I have 3/8 bbb. can I upgrade the chain, without changing the windless gear? Hoping to buy one of those new Rocna anchors.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 21:42   #24

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
I have a Dufour 35. heading south to the South Pacific. I have 3/8 bbb. can I upgrade the chain, without changing the windless gear? Hoping to buy one of those new Rocna anchors.
ROCNA are old now. Are plenty others as good
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 22:04   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Sure. Change to G40 grade without changing size of the chain. Would be a good move.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 22:41   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
As Dockhead says yes. The grade of chain G30, G40 or G70 does not effect the size, but be carefully there are lots of different sized 3/8 or 10mm (the metric equivant to 3/8 and very close in size) chain with different pitch lengths etc. Some gypsies will cope with a large variety of the options, but others are fussy. Both the chain and gypsy are expensive items, so it's a costly mistake if you get it wrong.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:00   #27

Boat: Seafarer 38
Chain size is less important than quality of the chain. Quarter inch g70 (or even g40), is stronger than some 3/8 lower quality chain. Acco quarter inch g70 has a MWL of 3150lbs. That is high. Acco 3/8 bbb has a MWL of 2650lbs. 1/4 g40 chain has a MWL of 2600lbs (basically the same as two sizes higher bbb chain). Don't swap your windlass to accommodate bigger chain. Smaller chain has several advantages, you can fit more in your locker and potentially go "all chain", it weighs less for comparable strength to bigger chains, and it allows for a larger anchor because you aren't lifting as much chain weight. If you have 1/4" bbb (which I haven't seen for sale), you could consider upgrading to a stronger 1/4" chain. Use a good snubber. We like having a heavy duty rubber shock absorber on our nylon snubber. I downsized the chain on Silver Lining to accommodate a larger anchor and more chain in the locker. I think smaller higher tech chain makes a lot of sense. Lower quality heavier chain is just that, heavier to do the same thing. There is an argument that smaller chains can't be re-galvanized as many times, but it seems worth it to me. There is a lot to be said for small chain advantages.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:17   #28

Boat: Seafarer 38
Also, a lot of folks who are anchor traditionalists who would insist on 3/8 (and say nothing of grade), have that on their boat and don't know that the 3/8 bbb they have is weaker than 5/16 g40. Go by the numbers.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:47   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
... Go by the numbers.
NACM Welded Chain Specifications
National Association of Chain Manufacturers: welded chain

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37   #30
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
Also, a lot of folks who are anchor traditionalists who would insist on 3/8 (and say nothing of grade), have that on their boat and don't know that the 3/8 bbb they have is weaker than 5/16 g40. Go by the numbers.
And consider the weight as well (+ & -).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode