Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2024, 18:34   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is there a locking mechanism for a mooring ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yeah, and imagine they all had "locking mechanisms".

Do you just anchor among the empty moorings? In many cases I find that's feasible. I sometimes use empty moorings but in fact I more often just anchor. If there's no boat on them they rarely cause a problem, and I like being on my own anchor; certainly it's more secure.

The place where I most often did use empty moorings was Poole Harbour, a magnificent, gigantic natural harbor but with extremely limited anchoring places due to depth. The only places feasible for anchoring within a reasonable dinghy ride from the docks are densely packed with moorings, so densely that anchoring is difficult.

I was awakened one night by a guy returning to his mooring which I was lying to, who knocked and politely asked if it would be a great bother if I moved. I quickly dressed and slipped the lines, tossing him a couple of beers as I left. I got a friendly wave in response.

That's the way it works in civilized places.

I guess in Maine you might be staring down the barrel of a shotgun.
Another problem with anchoring amongst moorings in Poole Harbour is your likely to foul your anchor on one of the chains running across the lines of moorings.. heavy chain that the moorings are attached to.
Ho do I know.??? I spent several years in the late 80's early 90's servicing them every winter around Poole Harbour, Holes Bay and up the Wareham river..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 23:50   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Is there a locking mechanism for a mooring ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Another problem with anchoring amongst moorings in Poole Harbour is your likely to foul your anchor on one of the chains running across the lines of moorings.. heavy chain that the moorings are attached to.
Ho do I know.??? I spent several years in the late 80's early 90's servicing them every winter around Poole Harbour, Holes Bay and up the Wareham river..

Poole Harbour is something we have in common, Phil!

Yes, I think I said that in Poole Harbour the moorings occupy every square inch of feasible anchorage, so that's where I do take moorings rather than attempt to anchor.

I miss Poole and the fantastic nature and Wareham Creek and the sleazy sailor dive bars on the quay.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 04:25   #33

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Here in Aus ( at least where I am ) we are required to rent the seabed where the mooring is located, annually and guarantee that the apparatus meets the required standards and is serviced annually.
In the US, the federal government "owns" the seabed. Within state borders, this is delegated to the states, to use in the public interest. Many states further delegate this to local municipalities, who often have a Harbor Board and Harbormaster.

So, we have a lot of different sets of rules. It's common for the Harbormaster to assign moorings, first to "working waterfront" interests like fishermen, then to residents, with preference given to those with waterfront property, then to whoever else asks. There's usually a nominal processing fee, but it's not generally considered "rent."

There are usually "use it or lose it" rules, like you must identify the specific boat which will be using it, only that boat may use it, and that boat must use it for some minimum number of weeks each season. Like in AUS, most places require that a qualified person inspect the gear annually.

These rules are usually strictly enforced in busy harbors with lots of moorings and long waiting lists, and this system mostly works well there.

The problem comes about in remote anchorages. The harbormaster and town residents have no reason to care about the needs of cruisers in transit. Some would even prefer to keep them out. So "destination" moorings are granted to local residents and yacht clubs. The rules are rarely enforced in these locations. You can't anchor among moorings if there's any kind of current, wind or the kinds of tidal ranges we get in Maine, so cruisers are "locked out" of the best locations, unless they want to risk taking an unused mooring.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 07:13   #34

Boat: 1990 Irwin 54

The mooring ball that is the subject of the question is in a very large bay near Annapolis on the Chesapeake. There is room for literally hundreds of boats to anchor safely….and they do all season. It is 2 nm from our home and we placed it there (5 years ago) to more easily enjoy sunsets, afternoons rafted with friends and overnights….all without the hassle of anchoring and dealing with copious amounts of mud cleanup…just slip the painter and we are home in 10 minutes (we double hand a 55’ sailboat). We have been cruising (Maine to Key West and Caribbean) for literally 40 years and I would never touch a mooring ball I didn’t put down without permission….just as I wouldn’t tie up to someone’s dock with out permission…I may be old fashion, but I see it as theft of property. We have never had a problem in the five years the mooring has been there (it is clearly labeled “private”). Many friends and even friends of friends…use the mooring throughout the season, but that they always send me a text or a phone call saying they’re on it and would be happy to leave if I need it….we are delighted to say “enjoy” ! but for some reason this year some folks have decided it’s public property, miraculously, including commercial charter boats…licensed captains using the mooring as part of a paid charter. We are astounded with this new disregard for others property and the question was about how how to put a stop to it. I apologize for the long note, but it seemed some clarity was needed.
Southerly60513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 11:56   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerly60513 View Post
The mooring ball that is the subject of the question is in a very large bay near Annapolis on the Chesapeake. There is room for literally hundreds of boats to anchor safely….and they do all season. It is 2 nm from our home and we placed it there (5 years ago) to more easily enjoy sunsets, afternoons rafted with friends and overnights….all without the hassle of anchoring and dealing with copious amounts of mud cleanup…just slip the painter and we are home in 10 minutes (we double hand a 55’ sailboat). We have been cruising (Maine to Key West and Caribbean) for literally 40 years and I would never touch a mooring ball I didn’t put down without permission….just as I wouldn’t tie up to someone’s dock with out permission…I may be old fashion, but I see it as theft of property. We have never had a problem in the five years the mooring has been there (it is clearly labeled “private”). Many friends and even friends of friends…use the mooring throughout the season, but that they always send me a text or a phone call saying they’re on it and would be happy to leave if I need it….we are delighted to say “enjoy” ! but for some reason this year some folks have decided it’s public property, miraculously, including commercial charter boats…licensed captains using the mooring as part of a paid charter. We are astounded with this new disregard for others property and the question was about how how to put a stop to it. I apologize for the long note, but it seemed some clarity was needed.

I understand your point of view, but hopefully you've learned from some of the comments in this thread that many sailors do regard unused mooring balls as quasi-public property, and their reasons for doing so are not stupid on their face. Unlike your dock, the mooring ball is anchored in public seabed.

Usually local custom solves this -- in some places it's one way, and others, - another.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 24-06-2024, 06:49   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Build a custom mooring ball that looks like a dinghy. You might even incorporate a small solar panel on it and light. Check local regulations about having a lighted vessel. Obviously if a dinghy is attached everyone will think the owner will be right back.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 06:50   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koendp View Post
Put up a sign: 30$ a night
👍

Probably the best suggestion BUT make it 60 with a phone #. Collect from anyone nuts enough to take it and take another.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 06:56   #38

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
This. If there is a dinghy on it no one will bother it. Keep a cheap dinghy on it in the off season, lock it, or pull it. If it is a destination mooring, you're basically tying up anchorage space that you are not using that is not your property. No sympathy from me.
Or not. I did this once, only to return to the mooring, finding a big powerboat on it, asked the captain what was up with my dinghy and he says "No idea" with a smirk. Puttered around the harbor and found it tied to a dock. One in a thousand chance it came off the ball by itself.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 07:17   #39

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Wow! Interesting thread.

Particularly since we own a private mooring in Canada and we rent a mooring seasonally in Maine.

As Mike O points out, our Canadian mooring ball has "PRIV" and our phone number painted on it. A few times a summer someone will call and ask to use it for a few nights. We (almost) always allow this, unless the boat appears to be oversized for the mooring. This is a problem in a storm, for an oversized boat can yank the mooring stone out of the muck and drag it to who knows where. As our home is right on the harbor/mooring field, it's interesting to watch some of the boats drag or even part their mooring chains during a blow.

Unlike much of New England, our mooring stones in our harbor are concrete - not the best material for a stout mooring but that's the local custom.

All moorings in Nova Scotia are required to be registered if they are on crown lands. Some folks don't bother unless they're in a harbor that requires registration.

One thing they don't seem to do in our part of Nova Scotia is register the mooirng by capacity. In Maine you often see a larger ball on the heavier moorings and sometimes a numbering system: the higher the number, the stouter the mooring. However, in Nova Scotia, if your boat is on the heavy side and/or has lots of windage, it may be best to be careful about using a strange mooring in storms. Also, many owners don't inspect their chains each year (we do). We've learned that chains wear even if the mooring is unoccupied.

Great thread. Thanks so much to all the fine commenters.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 07:20   #40

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Another comment on moorings.

If you own a private mooring and are thinking of collecting $$ from folks asking to use it, maybe check with your insurer to see if you would be covered if the mooring parted or dragged in a blow.

Cheers
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 07:21   #41

Boat: Lagoon 450S

It is shocking how many people tie up to a mooring buoy without understanding how it is constructed or who maintains it. I've seen this all over the world; it's not regional. We will always anchor unless a mooring buoy is our only choice. If your confidence in your anchoring abilities is so low that you prefer to tie off on a random mooring buoy, you shouldn't be the skipper of a boat.
Old 24-06-2024, 07:59   #42

Boat: CLC Skerry

Can you claim a public parking space, mark it "private" and keep others from using it? Can you mark a camping space in a public wilderness area as "private" and chase others away? Can you claim the airspace over your land as your own and prevent others from flying there? Nope. Neither should you be able to claim an area of public seabed, put a mooring ball on it, and prevent others from using it. If you drop a "private" mooring ball in public waters
and then go away, it is just a hazard to navigation.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 08:05   #43

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

In Canada, we're allowed to put in private moorings. We're supposed to label them Private, with phone number and name.
There are no laws to prevent another vessel from using a private mooring. The authorities will absolutely not become involved in disputes about private moorings.
In 30 years of keeping my boats on my mooring, I've never had a stranger tie up. If they did, I would raft up to the other boat, with plenty of fenders.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 08:27   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
. . .our Canadian mooring ball has "PRIV" and our phone number painted on it. A few times a summer someone will call and ask to use it for a few nights. We (almost) always allow this, unless the boat appears to be oversized for the mooring. . . .

That's a good solution!
Walt Whitman
Old 24-06-2024, 08:31   #45

Boat: Rafiki 37

Although I dislike the idea of private moorings, I understand why they are sometimes a desirable or even reasonable idea. My main beef with these things is that they are often laid out like you would an anchor; IOW dropped in the middle of an anchorage. This is both unnecessary and very disrespectful to other users of this public space.

By their very nature, a mooring can be placed in a location where normal anchoring wouldn’t work. Drop them close to shore, or much further out. That way the useful anchorage space remains available to others, and you still get the benefit of a personal mooring.

And no one should expect exclusive use of a private mooring, but asking for permission is just common courtesy. And as others have said, this ensures the mooring is appropriate for the size of boat.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring