Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 06:02   #1

Boat: Hunter 410
Issues with a Simpson-Lowrance Sprint Atalntic

Hi all
I tired the windlass on my boat. It's a Simpson-Lowrance Sprint Atlantic.

The problems are:
1. When touching the up- or down button in the anchor locker, the relays makes a clicking noise, but the windlass does not move. The battery is connected to the shore power. There should be sufficient power to run the windlass. There is no load on the windlass. It just clicks, even when the chain is not in the gypsy.

2. I tired to crank the windlass manually. Without any success. It did not move, not even a bit.

My questions are:
- Does anybody have an idea, why the windlass is not moving at all (I assume, that it does not move electrically because it is blocked)?
- Any recommendations on how to proceed, beside of buying a new one?
- Any hints, what likely would need to be replaced, and where the spare parts would be available (the boat is in Stuart FL)?
- If repair is not an option, what would be a good replacement for this windlass?

The boat is a Hunter 410, 20'000 LBS and the anchor weighs 45 LBS. Right now I have a bit of chain and a lot of rope, but I'm thinking of installing a 65 Mantus on a chain.

I would appreciate if anyone could help.

Thank you in advance!
Marco
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030053.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	77656   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030057.JPG
Views:	856
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	77657  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030058.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	77658  
Swiss sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 06:05   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Issues with a Simpson-Lowrance Sprint Atalntic

Imo, it is seized because of lack of maintenance. Time to get the manual out and do the required maintenance?!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 06:14   #3

Boat: Hunter 410
You are probably right. The previous owner did not all the maintenance required on the mechanical parts. I have the boat since a couple months and work on it to bring back all systems to work. Is it a easy job to do? I have no experience in servicing a windlass.
Swiss sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 07:09   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Issues with a Simpson-Lowrance Sprint Atalntic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss sailor View Post
You are probably right. The previous owner did not all the maintenance required on the mechanical parts. I have the boat since a couple months and work on it to bring back all systems to work. Is it a easy job to do? I have no experience in servicing a windlass.
With a maintained windlass it is easy to do; with yours it probably has the two cones of the clutch seized. Had that with mine when I bought Jedi. i removed the two cones and whacked them with a mallet to get them separated. Then cleaned all corrosion off by sanding, then polishing, greasing and putting it back. Has been 100% functional the 11 years since.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote