Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2011, 10:54   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Joining Chain

If the windlass is an issue, get rid of it!

;-)

Seriously - get one length of chain, no links, no problems.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 11:30   #17

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Hi,

We also wanted to add 20 metres to the 40 metres carried on our first EU sailboat - a Grand Soleil 42. I anxed for ages about how to join a new section to our 8 mm chain and allow it to work over the windlass, as I'd also heard the 'C' two piece joiners we not good.

But a month or so later when adding markers to the chain we had (which BTW had held us fine in 40+ knots of breeze on quite lumpy seas) I found someone else had used such a 'C' joiner in the length, and clearly it worked OK.

So I then used another to add my extra 20 metres without a second thought. Never deployed that extra chain in serious conditions, but felt comfortable the full length (with 2 'C' joiners) would have held up OK.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 26-04-2011, 15:42   #18

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Throw the link away. Not my way PLS.

Get longer, one piece chain. Or else use shackle to shackle connection - problematic to get over the winch as it is.

Do I read it right you have only 12 meters chain on this big boat of yours?

We have 20 meters on a 26 footer. 20 more in the locker, ready to shackle on if necessary.

b.
Sorry If you were talking to me this is what I said
I have one joining to 2 x 30 metres 3/8 galvanised chains smooth chain we have been going through 6 7 10BF in a very unfriendly harbour all winter, I have have been using it since 2006. Bought in Lefkadas for about 13 euros was not forged. and my boat is only 8.68 metres

and there is no problem with the c-link going through the Quick gypsy it can take rope or chain
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 15:45   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Hi,

We also wanted to add 20 metres to the 40 metres carried on our first EU sailboat - a Grand Soleil 42. I anxed for ages about how to join a new section to our 8 mm chain and allow it to work over the windlass, as I'd also heard the 'C' two piece joiners we not good.

But a month or so later when adding markers to the chain we had (which BTW had held us fine in 40+ knots of breeze on quite lumpy seas) I found someone else had used such a 'C' joiner in the length, and clearly it worked OK.

So I then used another to add my extra 20 metres without a second thought. Never deployed that extra chain in serious conditions, but felt comfortable the full length (with 2 'C' joiners) would have held up OK.

Cheers
JOHN
I have not changed mine since 2006
It is recommended to change them every season but most yachty people always go over the top

They never check there car and doing 90 on the motor way LOL
Old 26-04-2011, 15:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If the windlass is an issue, get rid of it!

;-)

Seriously - get one length of chain, no links, no problems.

b.
I have 2 lengths of chain and no problems with link or windlass electric a Quick its not often I let out more than 30 metres and if its blowy I toss another anchor over on a rope gives it a bit of stretch.
Old 26-04-2011, 18:19   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
My outcome...

To bring all up to date, lest some believe I still use a plough with short chain and silver rope, some time ago I purchased and installed a continuous 66 metres of 3/8" gal chain and a 45lb Manson Supreme.

The Supreme and chain have been in use for some two years now and I have not experienced any problems with this setup.

The silver rope has been replaced with a decent size and length of nylon and together with the plow and it's chain is now my backup.

I do recognise that using a 60lb Supreme would have been preferable for a 44', 15 tonne yacht but I had concerns as to whether it would fit in the bow fitting.

As I am now the proud possessor of a small welder I would probably use a hammer link with some galvanising ground off, hammered and then welded to join any chain needed in the future.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 18:39   #22

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It's good to hear of someone having good success with an anchor that is not grossly oversized.
Old 27-04-2011, 06:05   #23

Re: My outcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
To bring all up to date, lest some believe I still use a plough with short chain and silver rope, some time ago I purchased and installed a continuous 66 metres of 3/8" gal chain and a 45lb Manson Supreme.

The Supreme and chain have been in use for some two years now and I have not experienced any problems with this setup.

The silver rope has been replaced with a decent size and length of nylon and together with the plow and it's chain is now my backup.

I do recognise that using a 60lb Supreme would have been preferable for a 44', 15 tonne yacht but I had concerns as to whether it would fit in the bow fitting.

As I am now the proud possessor of a small welder I would probably use a hammer link with some galvanising ground off, hammered and then welded to join any chain needed in the future.
Yes getting a decent easy to use anchor template from Manson is a problem
But in all other ways they are very very helpful. I bought a Mansom Supreme and I am waiting for delivery.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:35   #24

Re: Joining Chain C-Link Pictures of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
I have not changed mine since 2006
It is recommended to change them every season but most yachty people always go over the top

They never check there car and doing 90 on the motor way LOL
Just seen my joining link I was at the bow pulling a hook tensioner and low and behold on the top of the bow roller was the aforesaidC-link almost as bright as a new pin though the galvanising on the chain at that point seems to have suffered slightly. Both Chain and Link have been on the boat since 2006 and this year were constantly in the water from September 10 2010 till the present date 03 May 2011 and still in there.

Showing both sides of the C-Link
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060087.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	26909   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060088.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	26910  

Click image for larger version