Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
I once asked a client who lived out of state with a boat moored in Florida to supply a hurricane plan, as required by his insurance company. I explained that a good storm plan included taking off canvas, doubling the lines, etc. when a hurricane was coming. He replied that "it was too much trouble- he wanted the boat to be ready to go when he flew into town, and that's what he had insurance for." Needless to say, he is no longer one of our clients!

I will say this again.

Insurance has evolved into a way to relieve people of their responsibilities.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:56   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Follow up!

Hi All,

I wanted to follow up with some more photos. Today I went to my other "office" and was actually working, doing real work not boat work, when a front and resulting thunder storm rolled through.

The wind went from about 5-6 knots to blowing 22-24 steady for about 20 minutes. Now keep in mind that 20 minutes is NOT a lot of time to build up any sort of real waves but if it blew like that for a couple of hours then well... But still it was ONLY 24 knots.

I snapped a few photos to show what can happen is a mooring field with as little as 20 minutes at 22-24 knots. Now imagine if the NOAA prediction of 30-40 had been accurate?

A Sabre with a Bruce/Ginsu anchor-UP:

And Down:

Looking through the dodger at my neighbors Pacific Seacraft (no anchor on bow):

This harbor can see 5-6 foot breaking waves in 40-50 knots. This is only about 15" to 18" chop in only 22-24 knots and already the Sabre's anchor is impinging upon the mooring pendant

It takes less than five minutes to remove your anchor!! Spread the word...