Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 15:27   #181

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Lantern as anchor light?

If you are anchoring in out-of-the-way places, and not showing an anchor light (or otherwise illuminating your boat), then you ARE endangering others. The actual risk may be small, but clearly it is not zero.

I'm not a slave to regs and laws. If it doesn't make sense, I may choose to go my own way. But it's illogical to suggest staying dark poses no risk to others (and to yourself).

I'm a big fan of going simple. My boat is not austere, but it's definitely more minimal than most. I've got absolutely no issue with someone using kero lamps for lights. But if you're going to do that, then do it. Don't make some specious argument to justify putting others in danger.

BTW, if frugality and simplicity is the driving force, then a simple LED lamp with rechargeable batteries is surely better than kerosene. Electricity is a renewable resource on a boat. It would take a minimal solar system to keep running/anchor lights lit.
Old 10-05-2020, 15:55   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That's just it, he's not endangering anyone.

He's just disagreeing with folks totally set in their ways.
Nonsense

You illuminate your vessel to protect other navigators
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 16:08   #183

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Nonsense

You illuminate your vessel to protect other navigators
If you have experience, you can size up the situation where you are anchored and know what you need to display.

Sometimes you know you don't need any lighting because no other boat will get in there.

At other times you know you need to display a light for the inexperienced especially the ones that don't know how to anchor for a squall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002 (1).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	214780   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	214781  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003 (1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	214782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	214783  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 17:25   #184

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I want to apologize to Benz because my post sounded like I was calling him stupid. I wouldn't say that but I don't agree with his idea of frugality, clearly. As far as anchorages that can fit only one boat, I know one of those. I haven't tried it yet because it is very tight. But when I do, I will certainly put up my light, so no one else crazy enough to try it gets the idea at night to come in!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 17:26   #185
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Interesting. I had no idea anyone would do this.
If you have to use half a pint of kero to run your anchor light I guess you must have some compelling reasons to avoid using any electrical system on your boat?
While I love the idea of simplicity I would struggle with that compromise and probably install a simple small battery and small solar panel just to run an anchor light.
What do you do about nav lights?
There are probably a number of self-contained options;
https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/l...8aAs8REALw_wcB
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/2539249436...4aAha5EALw_wcB
Or for occasions when anchor light is not required but it might be a good idea to increase your visibility then solar garden lighting would be better than nothing
https://www.target.com/p/10ct-led-ou...2/-/A-76387512
Actually, non-electric cruising is more common than you think. Easier to do on a smaller boat, and has distinct advantages, one being that when you begin multiplying solar and batteries and wires and diodes and who-knows-what, you start adding up the $$$. It may be insignificant to some, but I had to make choices in order to cruise at all. No inboard engine=no charging. Not much real estate on deck (and a horror of arches and whirlygigs and clutter hanging all over the place) precludes solar and wind. Needing the inside space for children's berths and supplies=no room for batteries.
Perhaps I could set up a solar-charged system someday, but I just spent my budget on new sails because, well, it's a sailboat and I need it to do that well.
While I've used a kerosene lantern with theater-gel inserts as nav lights, I prefer an LED red-green battery operated unit meant for dinghies. It's brighter. But, every couple of nights I put in fresh batteries, and the tale of AA's starts adding up. Tried rechargeable ones with a little solar panel, but that was a while back and the technology wasn't quite there, and wasn't quite weatherproof enough. Anyway, I may try again someday.
As for charging onshore, well, I often cruise for weeks without an outlet in sight, and when I see one if I'm charging the laptop, a cellphone, and the handheld VHF battery, it becomes a lot to carry around. So I prefer to keep it minimum.
Old 10-05-2020, 17:31   #186
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I want to apologize to Benz because my post sounded like I was calling him stupid. I wouldn't say that but I don't agree with his idea of frugality, clearly. As far as anchorages that can fit only one boat, I know one of those. I haven't tried it yet because it is very tight. But when I do, I will certainly put up my light, so no one else crazy enough to try it gets the idea at night to come in!
Apology accepted, Don. I think the reason I get so much rage on this forum is that I fail to communicate well. If I could express myself better, perhaps I wouldn't rub folks the wrong way. It really isn't my intent--I only try to tell folks what works for me and why I do it. Some of my ways are unusual, I admit: but still they work, and I find them handy.
Old 10-05-2020, 17:34   #187

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am about as shoestring as one can get and I sold my kerosene running lights. I am not sure the math will really validate that level of minimalism with current technology.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 18:30   #188

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Managing with minimal electrics is one thing, but at this point, it's easy to build a minimal system. A pretty small solar panel, batteries the size of a pair of bricks and some efficient LED lights would be enough for nav and anchor lights. It takes a bit of money input (but not necessarily a lot), but if your needs are minimal, the space and weight can be kept minimal.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 18:34   #189

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Jammer, Stop for a second and think how that reads to Benz (not that I think he is right or any less of a danger to the rest of us).

He has chosen to cruise in a boat which is not electrified in, apparently, any way. He chooses to use a kerosene anchor light, when he feels he needs to.

What you are saying is, "give up your chosen cruising style and go electric".

I think that is a tad arrogant.
Nope. He mentioned the possibility of using disposable batteries prior to my post, and again downthread.

All I'm saying is that once you admit those onto your list of acceptable technology, you are better off in every way using NiMH rechargeables.

Benz has presented his posts as general advice of wide applicability. He has not suggested that his approach is only limited to, say, the narrow case of historical reproduction vessels where electric lighting is contrary to the core mission of the vessel. I do not agree that an electrical system capable of supporting overnight operation of an anchor light is so burdensome that there is no place for it on a 30' cruising vessel. Neither do the COLREGS.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 19:06   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am about as shoestring as one can get and I sold my kerosene running lights. I am not sure the math will really validate that level of minimalism with current technology.

Over the years I have spent a good deal of time living in non-electric houses, cabins, trailers, and tents. At one point when living in a location where commercial power was unreliable, I had various nonelectric lighting systems at hand, and used them from time to time. As recently as 10-20 years ago, this made sense. Kerosene lanterns, Aladdin mantle lights, propane gas lights, circular wick Rayo table kerosene lights, Coleman lanterns, candle lanterns of various kinds, I had them all.

Since then, the combination of three technologies has made all this stuff functionally obsolete and of nothing more than historical interest. They are:
  1. Availability of inexpensive LED lighting in every imaginable combination of output power, color temperature, CRI, input voltage, and beam width
  2. Availability of inexpensive, reliable, compact, lightweight, environmentally friendly rechargeable battery technology
  3. Availability of inexpensive solar power systems, including small systems packaged for recharging small batteries
I mean, backpackers are using this stuff, it's so light and compact. There's stuff like the xtorch that integrates it all into a single package. I have one I received as a gift. Not an anchor light, but an example of how good the technology has become. There are examples of similar self-contained solar anchor lights out there.

So, yes, I agree, Don, there's no money to be saved by using kero lights in today's world, and no practical benefit aside from the historicity they may have in some situations.
Old 10-05-2020, 19:13   #191
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
you are better off in every way using NiMH rechargeables.
Not so, 18650's are better
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 19:16   #192

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That guy wouldn't put his family in harms way by not having proper lighting IF it was needed

Our Book - Cruising with the Zartman Family

"They have kerosene running lights, using old theater gels to color them"

Yep, that explains his reason for ignoring COLREGs.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 19:28   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Not so, 18650's are better

..nod.. Horses for courses

I have 18650s, both alone and in packs, and i have NiMH. There are pros and cons.

18650s (and other lithium ion technology cells and batteries) are lighter for the same energy capacity which matters in weight sensitive situations

18650s will deliver far more instantaneous power from a battery the same size which matters for things like radio transmitters and power tools

Modern high-quality NiMH batteries will last 10+ years even with frequent cycling. 18650s are good for around 500 cycles over 5 years in most portable applications at this point although the electric car industry is working very hard to fix this

NiMH have so little self discharge that you can store them charged and they will still have 90% of their capacity available years later.

Energy capacity compared to size is about the same with lithium-ion being only slightly better.

NiMH will not catch on fire under any reasonably likely failure conditions such as overcharging, crushing, overloading, etc.

NiMH can replace alkaline batteries in substantially all applications and can therefore power common, readily available portable devices without the expense of purchasing a device designed around an 18650 pack.
Old 10-05-2020, 20:56   #194

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

My post was to merely show that for the princely sum of $14-00 a pair,

The Led lights I installed on the steps of my boat, lit up the rear like a Christmas tree,
Obviously too much light is a NO NO as well, Hahahahaha

I like to be seen at night, I also travel a lot at night, Which I prefer as there is no one out on the open ocean at night, Or any where else that I travel for that matter,

The odd ships I encounter can certainly see me and they know precisely which way my boat is going,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:40   #195

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

Yes, that’s legal. A 360-degree light visible for 2 NM hung by a jib halyard clipped to the head or inner stay is what we all used until the masthead tri-color and anchor lite housing became the standard. But the old oil anchor lamps are still good, in fact perhaps more effective since they are lower and more readily observed by an approaching boat.
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor