Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 04:44   #121

Re: Lantern as anchor light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
When you drive on a public road, you stop at stop signs and follow speed limits. You may speed a little and gripe about 4-way stops, but there is no question but that a good citizen generally follows the rules that have been agreed on. Period.
This is actually a good analogy to how anchor lights are treated.

If there is a gap in traffic, most people roll thru stop signs. Speed limits are generally set so 15% of the people are exceeding them...until you hit statutory limits. On rural roads, it's not uncommon for 50-90% of drivers to exceed 55mph...so good citizens commonly ignore the rules.

Signs have very little impact on drivers. Drivers do what is reasonable.

In the same way, most people try to be reasonable about identifying the boat on a dark night (those who go with zero lights...I don't consider reasonable). A lower light just above the deck is often far more useful in a crowded anchorage then the official anchor light. In more isolated anchorages or near channels with 24/7 traffic, the masthead light makes a lot of sense.

Legally, if there is an accident, you can be held responsible for not following the rules to the letter but in most cases, the risk is negligible if you are reasonable about it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:54   #122

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

Yep, you only have to work your way past a couple of working prawn trawlers (shrimp boats) with their deck lights completely drowning out their nav lights to appreciate the wisdom of the COLREGS.

No idea if they are coming or going or a fkn spaceship
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:14   #123

Boat: Rafiki 37

This may be stating the obvious, but the reasons an anchor light are used (and mandated) are two fold.

#1. So an anchor vessel can be seen, allowing other vessels to avoid colliding with it. This is especially important in out-of-the-way anchorages where other artificial lights are absent.

#2. To provide navigational information; specifically that this boat is anchored.

Of these two reasons, the first is the most important. Information on a vessel's navigational status is wonderful, but it's far more important to know it's there. If this requires that the anchored vessel must sacrifice providing clear navigational information, then I say go for it. I'd much rather see you, and then complain about your poor adherence to the regs, than not see you at all.

Val, it's very true most of us speed, but only by a little bit. Human nature means most of us cheat on most things if we know we can get away with it. But we only do it a little bit, so most people might drive 10-15% over the speed limit, regardless of the time of day. But far fewer go much more (or less).

Actual research into human behaviour tells us we all cheat all the time, but only by a small amount. The reason seems to be that while we all want to maximize personal gains, we also want to believe we are good people. So by cheating only a little bit, we can still convince ourselves that we're morally OK.

We are indeed funny animals .
Old 08-05-2020, 05:17   #124

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Your carrying on the same as when I had my anchors across the walkway to work on them,
My lights comply as per the images below,

The images you posted are confusing. According to the rules, nav lights on a sailboat are as follows:

Under power: Steaming light (white 225* forward), side lights, stern light
Under sail: Side lights and stern light. OR masthead tri-color, but the tri-color vs deck level lights is an either/or, not both.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:54   #125
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my anchor light is a perko which was awesome until burner died.. oh did i say it was oil fueled.... keep in forward triangle where it belongs or i put in main triangle.
NOW i use same lantern with bright led square light i found in autozone.. can be seen more than 3 miles. has fresnel lens. is awesome. makes circle on water when placed in main triangle hanging from topping lift. it is BRIGHT.
read your colregs,. it specifically states where to place said lantern. this is not rocket science nor is it new alleged technology.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
read your colregs,. it specifically states where to place said lantern. this is not rocket science nor is it new alleged technology.

Yeah, right !

"A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen"

Real specific!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:29   #127
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yeah, right !

"A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen"

Real specific!
read more of it.. i believe the foretriangle is mentioned in many copies of said regulations, as the copy i had stated fore triangle..
traditional an d effective.
this is not rocket science nor is it new technology.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:42   #128

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
When I bought my previous boat there was a 1970s vintage anchor light aboard. It was hoistable and ran on a 6v lantern battery. It was made of 1970s plastic and was in poor condition, so I did not keep it.

Aqua Signal makes their series 40 all-around lights in a hoistable configuration, however they are corded. The various battery anchor lights on the market today are not configured to be hoisted.

In waters under U.S. jurisdiction, it is my understanding that anchor lights must be tested by the manufacturer and be marked accordingly. State laws vary.
I found a newish one of these in a resale shop in Rock Hall, Md, and have used it. I think they were made by Davis. one great thing: it has a light detecting device that turns it on and off in darkness. The only issue is that it wants 6 volt batteries with screw terminals and the only ones I can find have the spring terminals. But I've made do with it.

Also have a kerosene lantern as backup and a Lumi light that I hang near the stern. And finally a masthead anchor light. I anchor in creeks off the Chesapeake. I figure the masthead light can be seen at a distance and whichever other one I hang is for close up.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 16:28   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
read more of it.. i believe the foretriangle is mentioned in many copies of said regulations, as the copy i had stated fore triangle..

No, you read it. And come back with a specific reference if you can.

I gave you the only relevant quote.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 19:53   #130

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Hmmmmm... copies of the regulations?? The regulations is the regulations and the regulation is.....

'Rule 30
Anchored vessels and vessels aground.
(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:

(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;

(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level that the light prescribed in paragraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 metres and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.'

http://www.mar.ist.utl.pt/mventura/P...OLREG-1972.pdf

Best place , all else being equal, is actually as far from the mast as you can get it.... that way the mast has least chance of obscuring it as it will subtend the smallest angle.....
Old 09-05-2020, 02:03   #131

Boat: Island Packet 40

With LED lights the self discharge of your batteries is probably more than your anchor light consumes. Mine just stays on all the time.

And for reasons which are still a mystery I started displaying a black ball day shape about 2 years ago. I just got up one morning, went and bought a polystyrene float, sprayed it black and have been hoisting it on anchoring it ever since.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:37   #132

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What about odd situations?

I’m in a marked federal special anchorage zone right now which means no light is expected to be shown. I’m not using mine.

Typically these areas are packed full of moorings but early season and covid factors have most of the moorings not in yet. Just the winter placeholders. I’m anchored amongst them until it’s time for the mooring balls to go in or time to move on.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:41   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Hmmmmm... copies of the regulations?? The regulations is the regulations and the regulation is.....

'Rule 30
Anchored vessels and vessels aground.
(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:

(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;

(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level that the light prescribed in paragraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 metres and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.'

http://www.mar.ist.utl.pt/mventura/P...OLREG-1972.pdf

Best place , all else being equal, is actually as far from the mast as you can get it.... that way the mast has least chance of obscuring it as it will subtend the smallest angle.....

A common anchor light and ball combination is on the bow pulpit on a 1.5 meter pole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F577C18-CC4E-489F-BD9B-0919B85CB14F.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	214679  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:52   #134

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
A common anchor light and ball combination is on the bow pulpit on a 1.5 meter pole
Really? Well that is PFD....no way you are going to see that light if approaching from astern

LOMBARD boat... LOMBARD attitude....
Old 09-05-2020, 03:23   #135
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
What about odd situations?

I’m in a marked federal special anchorage zone right now which means no light is expected to be shown. I’m not using mine.

Typically these areas are packed full of moorings but early season and covid factors have most of the moorings not in yet. Just the winter placeholders. I’m anchored amongst them until it’s time for the mooring balls to go in or time to move on.
I have been speaking of these odd situations in this thread, and it seems that many on this forum would regard you an unseamanlike jerk for what you are doing right now. Even if you are perfectly within the law.
Good luck with those guys.

Tags
anchor