Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:59   #46

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Let's Talk Grounding Tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
Here's an example in Maine of a lovely little harbor that the norm is bow & stern anchoring in. It's quite narrow (about 200' wide at the widest spots.) The holding is good, the location is excellent for traveling up/down the coast, and the protection is nearly complete with the harbor being described quite rightly as an Inner Pool and Outer Pool. A good number of boats can anchor in here safely bow and stern to line up with the channel.

https://goo.gl/maps/vW7ZL
Nice. Still, I count several mooring balls. A beer says the ball owners do not care or follow the courteous convention. 'Hope I'm wrong about that.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26   #47

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Let's Talk Grounding Tackle

We've used a stern anchor (or a shore fast) to keep the bow pointed into a light swell on a windless night, and also to enjoy a nice view from the cockpit. This is for benign conditions only. We understand that if the wind picks up from the side we might need to release the stern rode, because the loads quickly become enormous (think of the gymnast doing the "iron cross" on the rings).
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31   #48

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)

Well, the Inner Pool which is a bit shoal for most cruising sailboats, has fisherman's moorings and 2 day use moorings for visitors to the island. The Outer Pool had two moorings when I was there last, but they are generally unused. Some things that look like moorings on the satellite view are probably lobster traps. The island consists of two pieces of property: a conservation trust with hiking trails, a caretakers cabin, and an old fishing shack turned into a 1 room museum; and an old Coast Guard Lifesaving Station that's now privately owned. The 2 moorings in the Outer Pool belong to the folks who own the old station and they're a lovely and very courteous couple who are friendly to cruisers and fisherman alike. Should you ever make it to Damariscove Island, set a course afterwards for the Blue Hill Peninsula and I'll be glad to collect that beer
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:02   #49

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think that powering full speed at a closed bridge then relying on a stern anchor to stop you is insane! Do you consider the people who told you this friends? :-)
Utterly insane. But perhaps you misunderstood them.

While waiting 59 minutes for an hourly opening bridge and jealously watching another boat drop their anchor from the cockpit using a powered windlass, I realized I could do almost as well. I keep a Fortress on my stern rail, and deploying and retrieving it is almost as easy as using a powered windlass. Well, what do I know, I don't even have a manual windlass. But I can drop and retrieve my 15 lb Fortress by hand in seconds. With the wind or current pushing me down, the stern anchor often holds me right in place until the bridge is ready to open, allowing me to shut down the engine, attend to chores, or just sit and relax. A few minutes before the bridge is ready to open I pull the stern anchor and start motoring in circles. Easy-peasy.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:13   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by marujo.sortudo View Post
Well, the Inner Pool which is a bit shoal for most cruising sailboats, has fisherman's moorings and 2 day use moorings for visitors to the island. The Outer Pool had two moorings when I was there last, but they are generally unused. Some things that look like moorings on the satellite view are probably lobster traps. The island consists of two pieces of property: a conservation trust with hiking trails, a caretakers cabin, and an old fishing shack turned into a 1 room museum; and an old Coast Guard Lifesaving Station that's now privately owned. The 2 moorings in the Outer Pool belong to the folks who own the old station and they're a lovely and very courteous couple who are friendly to cruisers and fisherman alike. Should you ever make it to Damariscove Island, set a course afterwards for the Blue Hill Peninsula and I'll be glad to collect that beer

Here is OPEN CPN of the island harbor. Could be a bit shallow in the north end. At We draw 6'-8" so we would have to stay at the south end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAMARISCOVE HARBOR MAINE.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	76969  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:40   #51

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
Utterly insane. But perhaps you misunderstood them.

While waiting 59 minutes for an hourly opening bridge and jealously watching another boat drop their anchor from the cockpit using a powered windlass, I realized I could do almost as well. I keep a Fortress on my stern rail, and deploying and retrieving it is almost as easy as using a powered windlass. Well, what do I know, I don't even have a manual windlass. But I can drop and retrieve my 15 lb Fortress by hand in seconds. With the wind or current pushing me down, the stern anchor often holds me right in place until the bridge is ready to open, allowing me to shut down the engine, attend to chores, or just sit and relax. A few minutes before the bridge is ready to open I pull the stern anchor and start motoring in circles. Easy-peasy.
I don't think the OP was thinking "lunch hook". We have waited for bridges too but don't anchor in the channel. Too much traffic in smaller craft. It annoys them. (and would me too).