Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 06:03   #1
VVD

Boat: Caliber47LRC - MAKAI
Lewmar anchor foot switch

Hi, has anyone dismantled a lewmar foot switch and cleaned the contacts? We think we might have a foul contact since the down switch works fine but the up is sluggish. We installed a new solenoid (up/down) not to long ago and redid all the contacts.
Thanks
VVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Lewmar anchor foot switch

Not worked on a Lewmar specifically but have cleaned contacts in all sorts of devices over the years. The only problem is whether or not you can get the thing apart and back together again. Tried to clean the contacts on the 25 year old switch for my S-L windlass and it disintegrated when I tried to disassemble it.

I would give it a go and worst case scenario it doesn't work. If you can't fix it or it falls apart like mine you don't have to replace it with a "genuine Lewmar" switch. Any generic with the right capacity will work.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:58   #3
cruiser

I just had one of our Lewmar foot switches go bad that was about 10 years old. I first tried cleaning the contacts. It worked a few times following the cleaning and I thought it was OK.... then the switch jammed in the "on" position. Had I not been on board when the windlass magically turned itself on and began hauling in the anchor, and was able to quickly turn it off by throwing the breaker, it could have ended badly.

Don't waste your time trying to clean it. Buy a new one. I'm also replacing the "down" Lewmar foot switch, which is probably about to go bad. The new Lewmar switch is designed differently from the old. You might need to buy an adapter plate for the new switch.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Kenomac,

So are you saying that the windlass switch engaged with no one touching it and stayed on by itself? That is a bit scary. With the power in that motor it could have destroyed the windlass or the anchor roller or who knows what.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Kenomac,

So are you saying that the windlass switch engaged with no one touching it and stayed on by itself? That is a bit scary. With the power in that motor it could have destroyed the windlass or the anchor roller or who knows what.
I have seen this more than once. Usually the anchor ends up jamed in the roller, the windlass overloads and blows its fuse. More or less damage depending upon the installation. I have never known of a foot switch that didn't fail and have not yet seen a repaired foot switch that didn't fail again, shortly after being "fixed". The only time I have seen foot switches used to advantage was a set-up we did on a friend's yacht that involved installing the foot switches in a wedge shaped box ("Foot block") with a connector cable that could be plugged into a receptical in the charin locker. This allowed the foot-block/switches to be stored below deck, out of the weather, until needed.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Hi Kenomac,

Yes, that is exactly what happened. The windlass switch engaged without anyone touching it.

The older style switch is made in such a way that one of the contact points smashed down on the second contact point depressing it permanently, and created a very close gap. So all by itself, and lucky I was there, the switch eventually shorted across the gap and turned on the windlass motor. What alerted us to the crisis was the sound of the engaged windlass motor and the sound of the windlass clutch slipping. The motor could have quickly burned out, or if we were at anchor... the windlass would have retrieved the anchor all by itself.

Normally, I shut off the windlass at the breaker panel when I'm not underway or at anchor; but yes you're correct.... if I was underway or at anchor with the windlass breaker turned on, it could have ended very badly.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I have seen this more than once. Usually the anchor ends up jamed in the roller, the windlass overloads and blows its fuse. More or less damage depending upon the installation. I have never known of a foot switch that didn't fail and have not yet seen a repaired foot switch that didn't fail again, shortly after being "fixed". The only time I have seen foot switches used to advantage was a set-up we did on a friend's yacht that involved installing the foot switches in a wedge shaped box ("Foot block") with a connector cable that could be plugged into a receptical in the charin locker. This allowed the foot-block/switches to be stored below deck, out of the weather, until needed.

FWIW...
Haven't had the problem with windlass switches (but then never had an electric windlass before ) but certainly have had many problems over the years with switches and contacts with all sorts of gadgets.

My main concern is whether the windlass switch self activated. I can easily see the switch sticking ON while in use and not disconnecting but are you saying you have seen a windlass sitting idle, no one touched a switch or nothing fell on it, and something caused the switch to activate the windlass?

To me that's a real concern. I do always try to switch off the main breaker for the windlass at the DC panel unless I'm using the windlass but will put this on my "don't forget or else" list.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVD View Post
Hi, has anyone dismantled a lewmar foot switch and cleaned the contacts? We think we might have a foul contact since the down switch works fine but the up is sluggish. We installed a new solenoid (up/down) not to long ago and redid all the contacts.
Thanks
I thought I had a bad foot switch this last summer with the same symptoms as yours. It turned out to be a fuse that was intermittent. Replaced the fuse and all was fine.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14   #9
cruiser

My main concern is whether the windlass switch self activated. I can easily see the switch sticking ON while in use and not disconnecting but are you saying you have seen a windlass sitting idle, no one touched a switch or nothing fell on it, and something caused the switch to activate the windlass?

To me that's a real concern. I do always try to switch off the main breaker for the windlass at the DC panel unless I'm using the windlass but will put this on my "don't forget or else" list.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the windlass switch self activated. We hadn't touched the windlass switch in over 3 days while underway across the Bay of Biscay. Then I switched on the windlass breaker at the panel while moving to a new location in the La Caruna harbor... never touching the foot switch. The Lewmar windlass switch self activated about 30 minutes after we docked.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes, that is exactly what happened. The windlass switch engaged without anyone touching it.

The older style switch is made in such a way that one of the contact points smashed down on the second contact point depressing it permanently, and created a very close gap. So all by itself, and lucky I was there, the switch eventually shorted across the gap and turned on the windlass motor. What alerted us to the crisis was the sound of the engaged windlass motor and the sound of the windlass clutch slipping. The motor could have quickly burned out, or if we were at anchor... the windlass would have retrieved the anchor all by itself.

Normally, I shut off the windlass at the breaker panel when I'm not underway or at anchor; but yes you're correct.... if I was underway or at anchor with the windlass breaker turned on, it could have ended very badly.
Thanks for the information. I can think of several other unpleasant scenarios that could result from an unplanned windlass activation.

As I mentioned in my previous reply I guess I need add another item to my critical list "Always turn off the main breaker for the windlass when not actively using it!". Will probably post a notice on the DC panel next to the breaker.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

I switched to the wireless remote, so far so good.
bmm32005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Haven't had the problem with windlass switches (but then never had an electric windlass before ) but certainly have had many problems over the years with switches and contacts with all sorts of gadgets.

To me that's a real concern. I do always try to switch off the main breaker for the windlass at the DC panel unless I'm using the windlass but will put this on my "don't forget or else" list.
While anchored out, friends of ours were sitting in their cockpit having a glass of wine one evening when they heard clanking at the bow. Upon investigating they discovered the windlass had activated and was hauling in their anchor of its own accord. They cut the power to the windlass and disconnected the foot switches. Repowered, and managed with a backup hand held controller, the windlass functioned normally. Subsequent investigation revealed that moisture had made its way into the foot switch and evidently shorted the connectors. The other switch was also badly deteriorated. Both switches are gone now and the holes in the deck filled and covered.

FWIW...

PS: Aboard HyLyte, we have the Windlass Breaker, with an indicator lamp, at the foot of the Companionway where it can be seen from the cockpit--even with the hatch closed--and we keep the breaker off unless we are actually deploying or recovering the anchor.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Having an alumnium boat I always turn the anchor winch off, but I have had a deck switch that stuck on. It was a Lewmar switch and I replaced it with a Muir alternative. The Muir is rated for the full 150A rather than the few amps of the Lewmar (although mine still runs via the solenoid) and seems better made, time will tell.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 15:59   #14

I wasted quite a bit of time trying to fix a switch, and ended up getting a generic switch at quite low cost. Certainly not worth the time and hassle to repair.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 16:47   #15

Boat: C&C 34

I am amazed to hear that some people let their boat swing on the windlass and not cleat it off.

Like mentioned in earlier post, opening the breaker for the windlass would also solve all of these uncommanded anchor hauls.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, lewmar