Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 20:16   #1

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons
Lewmar Anchor Windlass Queries. Please Advise.

I haven't used my windlass much, perhaps 6 times over the past four years. It always winched up my old much lighter CQR anchor, both releasing and retrieving ok electronically. The windlass was serviced about 9 months ago buy a service provider. He's, since left. I've just fitted a new 48kg / 105 ibs Mantus anchor. However, my windlass is playing up as follows:
1. When I attempt to retrieve the anchor, the windlass simply slips and will not wind up the chain and anchor. Why is it slipping when attempting to bring it electronically?
2. However, when I place the winch handle into the capstan, I am able to winch up the anchor as long as I'm assisting the electric winch. I cant winch electronically alone or manually alone. Only both together works.
3.When I try hand winch alone, it is jammed rock solid and wont turn or winch up. Why is that? Surely it should winch up and rotate manually?
3. When I try unwind with the electronic control, the winch breaker trips every time. It operates only when winching up? What could cause this?
4. If I winch up electronically without a load, it does work and I'm able to retrieve the loose chain. So its slipping under load.
4. When releasing the anchor, the chain slips / runs through the capstan uncontrollably and one has to put your put your shoe on the chain to prevent a runaway. How does one ensure a controlled release?
5. Is the smaller wheel with the arm used to control the chain releasing against the capstan? What is its purpose, how does one use it?
6. How does one tension the winch. I've placed the winch handle into the two winch holes on the pic but cant seem to fathom out how to tension / release tension. They are jammed hard. I haven't forced too hard yet.
7. I am unsure of the model? Possibly between 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000. Does anyone know which windlass this is? I've tried uploading a manual but without success. Can anyone help as to where I can obtain a manual? I haven't tried our Lewmar agent yet, only because the help from this forum far exceeds their desire to assist in the past. I will try them.
8. If anyone can ID this windlass, are you able to advise if its suitable for my very large Mantus 48kg / 105 ibs Mantus anchor? How can I spec the windlass in terms of its anchor load capabilities?

Thanks so much to the anticipated replies to these very ignorant queries. Its much appreciated.

Regards
Mike

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ttachmentid=16

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1516851877
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lewmar windlass gypsey.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	162806   Click image for larger version

Name:	lewmar windlass motor.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	162807  

YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 21:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Lewmar Anchor Windlass Queries. Please Advise.

Hard to tell the scale, but the windlass looks a bit light for a 100 pound mantus. A mantus anchor will set very well and can be very hard to break out.

I assume the windlass pulls the chain up fine till the slack is out of the anchor rode. Best bet is to get rode vertical, then motor forward to break the mantus out. Most windlasses will have issues trying to break out a mantus anchor. Specially a big 100# one..

On the plus side, you'll sleep well at night.

EDIT; Most vertical windlasses will want more then a 90 degree wrap on the rode. Better to take a 160 degree wrap on the wildcat. The 90 degree angle of the rode on the wildcat does not really give enough engagement around the drum. So it can skip under load.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 01:49   #3

Boat: no boat any more

@1: clutch tight enough? clutchcones worn?
@3: for a manual override a "freewheel" gearbox is needed. the 2nd star-socket on the top of your drum suggests that it's there (maybe originally was)
@4: do you mean the chain is jumping on the gypsy? then chain & gypsy don't match or gypsy is worn
@the two plasticwheels: as far as I see their purpose is to make up for the less-than-perfect wrap of the chain on the gypsy which is <90° & to keep the chain from jumping
@identification: I loooked through all old Lewmar catalogues going back to 1996 - none matches yours...
Old 25-01-2018, 04:11   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Looks much like the Simpson Lawrence Anchorman which became Lewmar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF3D1E1D-E5AC-4E80-AFA1-6B53FE6142A7.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	162824  
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 04:46   #5

It looks similar to a Lewmar Anchorfast 1000.

If it's slipping when retrieving (the gypsy slips/rotates independent of the capstan), then you need to tighten the clamp nut. That's the one in the centre of the capstan that your winch handle fits into. There is also a screw inside the clamping nut that also needs to be tightened.

If it is indeed an Anchorfast 1000, there are no brake cones, the friction is simply provided by the capstan being tightened onto the gypsy via the clamping nut.

To manually retrieve the anchor, you need to unscrew the screw inside the clamping night by a 1/4 turn. This allows the gypsy/capstan to rotate freely on the centre stem.

To manually release the anchor, loosen the clamping nut slightly with the winch handle. Control the rate of release by simply tightening/loosening the clamping nut as necessary.

The clamping nut is the one in the centre of the capstan. The socket on the periphery of the capstan is just a socket and it is where the winch handle is inserted when you need to manually retrieve the anchor. It gives you more leverage when attempting to rotate the capstan by hand.

If you keep blowing the circuit breaker, something is causing an overload on the system which may eventually burn out the motor. Seems like something is jamming the winch. Find out what is causing the winch to jam.

As has been previously been stated, the 100 lb anchor is probably much too heavy for this winch.

When was the last time the winch was serviced ? Just a matter of removing the capstan, gypsy, a small collet that locks the centre stem to the axle, and then removing the centre stem, underneath which you will find a pair of pawls and springs, bronze washers etc. They should be cleaned and lubricated just like any other winch, and once re-assembled you should hear the pawls clicking when the winch is manually rotated in one direction.

From a safety perspective, you should not operate the winch electrically with the winch handle inserted, that's an accident waiting to happen (broken wrists, arms, lower leg, whatever gets in the way of a rotating winch handle)
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:52   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

I recognize that windlass - A Lewmar 1000. I used to own one. IMO it is a very poor product, discontinued long ago. It is inadequate for your ground tackle.

The one I had stripped it's gears after about two years use. It was not abused. My interaction with Lewmar following the failure has soured me on the Lewmar brand and I have not purchased a Lewmar product since (1995).

If you have the original documentation read the fine print. Although marketed as a 1000 pound windlass the installation instructions that were enclosed said 1000 pound static load and 750 pound pull.

I replaced mine with a different company's product that not only worked better and drew less power but worked well until I replaced it with another from the same manufacturer twelve years later. It needed replating and the replacement was on sale for a very good price. I hesitate to name the brand because I am not sure of the forum's rules on endorsing products.

My ground tackle was and still is today a CQR 60 with 300 feet of all chain rode.

I suggest that you replace the windlass. For your size anchor you need a a much larger one. IIRC the windlass should be rated at four times the total weight of the anchor and chain weight.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 17:16   #7

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I recognize that windlass - A Lewmar 1000. I used to own one. IMO it is a very poor product, discontinued long ago. It is inadequate for your ground tackle.

The one I had stripped it's gears after about two years use. It was not abused. My interaction with Lewmar following the failure has soured me on the Lewmar brand and I have not purchased a Lewmar product since (1995).

If you have the original documentation read the fine print. Although marketed as a 1000 pound windlass the installation instructions that were enclosed said 1000 pound static load and 750 pound pull.

I replaced mine with a different company's product that not only worked better and drew less power but worked well until I replaced it with another from the same manufacturer twelve years later. It needed replating and the replacement was on sale for a very good price. I hesitate to name the brand because I am not sure of the forum's rules on endorsing products.

My ground tackle was and still is today a CQR 60 with 300 feet of all chain rode.

I suggest that you replace the windlass. For your size anchor you need a a much larger one. IIRC the windlass should be rated at four times the total weight of the anchor and chain weight.
Nothing wrong with endorsing a product that you've had good luck with. It's one of the reasons this forum is so valuable. In fact you just endorsed CQR anchors.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 19:51   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Nothing wrong with endorsing a product that you've had good luck with. It's one of the reasons this forum is so valuable. In fact you just endorsed CQR anchors.
OK, I like Maxwell. I had a Maxwell VWC 1200 that served me well from 1995 'til 2008. I was in New Zealand doing a refit when Maxwell had a great deal on a new VWC 1500. Since mine needed to be re-chromed I decided to buy new and sold off the old one. It was a very good deal. The cost difference was well worth getting a whole new one vs re-chroming the old one.

The old one was well used but still going strong. In those years I circumnavigated and anchored hundreds of times.

The VWC 1500 is the same as the 1200 with slightly different gearing to increase power. I never noticed a speed difference. The VWC 1500 also has a few other refinements that I like. The gear case is now a tough plastic vs the older aluminum. The new gear case also make removal for service easier. Not a single problem since it was installed.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 20:31   #9

Boat: Privilege P43

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
I haven't used my windlass much, perhaps 6 times over the past four years. It always winched up my old much lighter CQR anchor, both releasing and retrieving ok electronically. The windlass was serviced about 9 months ago buy a service provider. He's, since left. I've just fitted a new 48kg / 105 ibs Mantus anchor. However, my windlass is playing up as follows:
1. When I attempt to retrieve the anchor, the windlass simply slips and will not wind up the chain and anchor. Why is it slipping when attempting to bring it electronically?
2. However, when I place the winch handle into the capstan, I am able to winch up the anchor as long as I'm assisting the electric winch. I cant winch electronically alone or manually alone. Only both together works.
3.When I try hand winch alone, it is jammed rock solid and wont turn or winch up. Why is that? Surely it should winch up and rotate manually?
3. When I try unwind with the electronic control, the winch breaker trips every time. It operates only when winching up? What could cause this?
4. If I winch up electronically without a load, it does work and I'm able to retrieve the loose chain. So its slipping under load.
4. When releasing the anchor, the chain slips / runs through the capstan uncontrollably and one has to put your put your shoe on the chain to prevent a runaway. How does one ensure a controlled release?
5. Is the smaller wheel with the arm used to control the chain releasing against the capstan? What is its purpose, how does one use it?
6. How does one tension the winch. I've placed the winch handle into the two winch holes on the pic but cant seem to fathom out how to tension / release tension. They are jammed hard. I haven't forced too hard yet.
7. I am unsure of the model? Possibly between 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000. Does anyone know which windlass this is? I've tried uploading a manual but without success. Can anyone help as to where I can obtain a manual? I haven't tried our Lewmar agent yet, only because the help from this forum far exceeds their desire to assist in the past. I will try them.
8. If anyone can ID this windlass, are you able to advise if its suitable for my very large Mantus 48kg / 105 ibs Mantus anchor? How can I spec the windlass in terms of its anchor load capabilities?

Thanks so much to the anticipated replies to these very ignorant queries. Its much appreciated.

Regards
Mike

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ttachmentid=16

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1516851877
Mike, it looks like a pre-1995 Lewmar Holdfast model (which I used to have). This model has two fibrous friction rings, one below the gypsy and the other under the capstan. The small triangular device on the base is intended to block the gypsy to facilitate tightening (or loosening) of the upper shaft nut. if not tight, there will be insufficient resistance and the gypsy and or capstan will slip under load.
Prior to replacement, mine routinely hoisted a 50kg Brittany (original equipment supplied by French boatbuilder) along with 100m of 3/8 BBB.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 08:44   #10

Boat: Scout 30

If the motor itself needs work any place that rebuilds starters for cars can usually handle the job.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 05:04   #11

Lewmar Anchor Windlass Queries. Please Advise.

It's either a 1000 or 2000. If it's a 1000 it's too small. These winches need good maintenance. Pull it apart, check the pawls. The clutch is 2 washer style disks made of brake material, I think you can't buy them so you may need to get some made. These break or wear out so check these. I am sure they are broken on your winch. The gearbox can only check the oil by removing the end plate with 8 bolts so check oil level is half full. The pinion is too small on this gearbox with 70:1 ratio so easily strips the teeth off. You need a good engineer to keep it alive.
John
Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:28   #12

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

The windlass is indeed a Lewmar 1000. The replies have, as is always the case on this forum, been extremely helpful indeed. We've since been able to dismantle the windlass and its been sent to professionals for overhauling. At least I now know what it is, how it works and what's its performance specifications are, as will as its limitations.

The valuable replies and assistance is immensely appreciated.

Regards
Mike
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, lease, lewmar, wind, windlass