Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 23:29   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Lewmar Delta Sizing

Has anyone got any idea on Lewmar Delta sizing?

Website seems very ordinary Lewmar and I can find no sizing chart.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 23:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
FWIW I had a 25kg Delta on our 54 foot, 24 tonne sailboat. It was definitely undersized for that application and in general was not a brilliant performer. We changed it to a 55kg Rocna.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 00:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
FWIW I had a 25kg Delta on our 54 foot, 24 tonne sailboat. It was definitely undersized for that application and in general was not a brilliant performer. We changed it to a 55kg Rocna.
Thanks

Reason I ask is I just jagged a 25kg/55lb on ebay for $200 Brand spanking new.

The dude I bought it from said they had another on their 45ft 20 tonne mono without issue and was gob-smacked that I suggested I was getting something this big for a 8500kg/50ft cat.
They were even more taken aback when I said I planned an 80lb supreme as a primary.

I have to say, now that I have it here in front of me it is quite a bit larger than I expected and am second thinking the 80lb supreme
Old 08-10-2010, 00:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Thanks

Reason I ask is I just jagged a 25kg/55lb on ebay for $200 Brand spanking new.

The dude I bought it from said they had another on their 45ft 20 tonne mono without issue and was gob-smacked that I suggested I was getting something this big for a 8500kg/50ft cat.
They were even more taken aback when I said I planned an 80lb supreme as a primary.

I have to say, now that I have it here in front of me it is quite a bit larger than I expected and am second thinking the 80lb supreme
A 25kg Delta as a secondary anchor on a 8.5 tonne cat sounds ok to me. You need more anchor weight per tonne of displacement on a cat because you've got proportionately more windage than a mono (no keel), but still I think you've about nailed it. You're a power cat so you don't have windage from mast and rigging, so quite a bit less windage than a sail cat of your size. Your 80 lb. Manson as a primary also sounds like the real deal. Not that I'm any kind of expert so FWIW.

Let us know how it all works.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:37   #5

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
If you are near a chandlery where they have some Delta anchors there is usually a tag on them which gives sizing recomendations. If you want to take their word for it. I had a 35 LB on my 36' trawler it performed quite well , did drag a couple of times in soft mud. I upsized to a 45 LB last year it has been fine so far.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:52   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
There is an Icon for the Lewmar catalogue at the bottom left of the web page, wonder if that has the sizes in it. Can't download it because I am at work unfortunately.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There is an Icon for the Lewmar catalogue at the bottom left of the web page, wonder if that has the sizes in it. Can't download it because I am at work unfortunately.

Pete

^^^^ Confirmed!! In the lower left-hand corner of the main Lewmar page is links for "Download our equipment guide". Click on the flag for the appropriate language and it is a complete Equipment Guide. The English version lists the anchor sizing table on Page 27.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 15:25   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
I was not completely satisfied with my 55# Delta on my 40' Silverton aftcabin---about 28,000#. So I upgraded to an 88# and WOW!!! That thing grabs the bottom and holds as if it was a death grip. I am entirely pleased with the 88#.

Also I found the best place to purchase Delta was from Defender. The 88 cost about $550 or so. Yes, the high tech stuff may provide better performance pound per pound but just plain oversizing is the way to go in my opinion. Better bang for the buck....AHhhhh-- Bob McNamara, you coined a good one!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 15:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
Yeah, I knew I could download the whole catalogue, but I was hoping there was 1 page somewhere instead of the XXX pages of useless information that would be the lewmar catalogue.

Thanks anyway
Old 10-10-2010, 16:41   #10

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I would buy the biggest one that will fit on your anchor roller.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 16:55   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I'd tend to avoid the Deltas. Bettert than a CQR, but no as good as the Rocna/Manson designs. Last month I dropped the pick (28kg Buegel) in some pretty good mud/clay in Potter's Cove near Newport, set immediately, backed down hard, and waited for our friends on a 42 ft cat to do the same. They had a 35kg Delta which looked like it would do the job, but after 3 tries with over 5:1 scope it just wouldn't set. I went over and helped them snag a mooring.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 18:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
I would buy the biggest one that will fit on your anchor roller.
LOL

Seeing as there is no anchor roller as yet (wanted the anchor first) and it will be a custom build, that could well be an anchor that would sink the boat.
Old 10-10-2010, 18:39   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
LOL

Seeing as there is no anchor roller as yet (wanted the anchor first) and it will be a custom build, that could well be an anchor that would sink the boat.

Let me get this straight.. you want to figure out the anchor before you do the roller? How are you supposed to go through the fun of modifying your anchor roller to fit the anchor if you go that route?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 17:55   #14

Re: Lewmar Delta Sizing

Just found a lewmar Delta sizing chart, so thought I'd put it up

It would appear that the 55lb'er that I got cheap is well suited for my lightweight (8750kg disp) 50 ft cat seeing as the chart indicates it is suitable for 53 ft heavy displacement up to 63ft light displacement vessels.

I think I will see how it goes before rushing out and getting the 80lb supreme that I had planned on getting, especially as I am now locked into an all chain setup.

Tags
anchor, delta