Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2011, 08:43   #1

Boat: Irwin Citation, 38, Bonsai1
Lewmar Failure

my Lewmar 1000 Pro windlass stop funcionning, no rotation, possible electrical motor failure, after two years of operation. I sent it under warrenty for repair. The technician contacted me to confirm the electrical motor which is no longer under warrenty, was intermittent even if there was visual indication that salt water did get into the casing. After discussing with the technician, he told me that water migrating inside is a commun occurance and even so salt water and electrical component don`t mix together, I still have to pay for the repair. My positon is that if the unit would have been properly sealed, my motor would be functionning,thus, any repair done internally due to water migration inside the housing should be cover under the warrenty. Am I that far of the reality,

Thanks,

Michel
bateaubonsai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 08:59   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: Lewmar failure

sounds reasonable water migration caused the damage ias a result of the seals failing. what are the terms of the warranty?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 08:38   #3

Re: Lewmar Failure

I read the warranty on their web site, it is a 3 year warranty except for the motor which is only 1 year. Still, the saltwater , I believe, caused the electrical failure.
Old 16-10-2011, 09:00   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico

I would push my case hard. Be sure and tell them you have heard nothing but good comments on the many web forums you participate in.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 10:48   #5

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
I had the same problem with mine. West marine replaced it at no cost to me. Thanks WM
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 11:40   #6

I am dealing directly with the Lewmar mechanic in Ontario, Canada. Unfortunately, he tells me `` I`m barking up the wrong tree with my complaint, Lewmar will not repair my unit under warranty, ``, NOT IMPRESSED with their statement.
Old 16-10-2011, 12:39   #7

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I recently (two months ago!!) bought a V-700 based on reports here and with a repair technician that the Lewmar's were sufficient for my needs. PLEASE get back to us with the final verdict. I'd hate to think I made a mistake chosing to drop $$$ for a product they don't stand behind -- and water migrating into the motor housing can't be your fault. I EXPECT the units to deal with it -- and the company to make it right!

Until you receive a satisfactory response I'm going to without verdict on recommending the product.........
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar