Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2023, 20:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Re: Lewmar H2 Windlass Stuck on UP and other issues...

Past this point by now but on some dc motors I think you can change direction by reversing positive and negative wires. Is that the case and would it have helped free up the chain?
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 09:36   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

My Lewmar wired controller died (trip from Hawaii to SF) because of too much salt water, somehow penetrated the control unit. (Needs to be kept dry, either by removing,,or)

Hopefully you can hardwire a new switch to allow you drop the anchor. (I ended up leaving a hardwired switch on a 10’ wire in my V berth, which I could toss out the hatch in an emergency.)

Once you get the clutch nut loose (counter clockwise), you should be able to tap around the plate to loosen it, if a slight strain is on the chain it should ‘freewheel’.

Eventually, once you are more in control, the clutch and pressure should be removed, cleaned and greased annually. And then you can use the clutch to drop the anchor once in a while, or when the electric controller is not working.
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 09:49   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The other benefit of a properly maintained clutch is to limit the load on the windlass. If your clutch is frozen, and you anchor gets hooked under a rock in a seaway, the next weakest link is going to break, be it the windlass, its mount, the bow roller, the chain, or the bowspirit.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 11:55   #19

Reverse polarity. The winch would then want to feed out anchor. Just a thought.
tidalwavenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 12:46   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Past this point by now but on some dc motors I think you can change direction by reversing positive and negative wires. Is that the case and would it have helped free up the chain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwavenz View Post
Reverse polarity. The winch would then want to feed out anchor. Just a thought.

Like most windlasses, the H2 uses a series wound DC motor.

Series wound motors turn in the same direction when + and - are reversed.
Old 18-04-2023, 06:28   #21

Boat: Bavaria Ocean 44 CC

I'm jumping in late...and I know it does not tell you how to free up your windlass...but we had exactly the same problem last year. While raising the chain in the Bahamas it took off on it's own and jammed the windlass. When we reset the windlass breaker it immediately re-tripped.
In our case it was the Quick Remote. The up button inside the remote had corroded. Once the remote was replaced and the chain freed (a 2 hour job while sailing) everything worked. Double check your remote controller.
PeterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 08:03   #22

Boat: 1992 Beneteau 390 Classic

Based on what's been posted thus far and your explanation of the issue, I would say that your solenoid is stuck activated in the up position. Removing the remote had no effect which activates the electromagnet which closes either the up or down circuit.

Also reversing the polarity WILL reverse direction on the DC motor if you were looking to relieve tension on the windless to service.

I have "attempted" to service the solenoid on my windless on several occasions and although it may work temporarily, typically a new one is required due to the contact arching or corrosion in the unit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
dduncansailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 08:56   #23

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncansailing View Post
Also reversing the polarity WILL reverse direction on the DC motor if you were looking to relieve tension on the windless to service.

Try it on an H2 or another windlass with a series wound motor. Post video and have witnesses. I'll bet you a case of Scotch if you want.

The thing about series-wound motors is that reversing polarity to the entire motor as you suggest reverses the polarity of both the field windings and the armature. Essentially you reverse the motor twice so it still turns the same way. That is why these motors have two sets of field windings -- one connected to the armature and the terminal in the opposite direction of the other one, giving the three external motor terminals. Connecting to the "Common" and "Up" terminal will give you "up" regardless of whether you connect the - to common and + to up or connect the + to common and the - to up. In fact, if you had a source of 12 volt AC, that would more or less work too.

A few smaller windlasses have permanent magnet motors, and those are reversed by switching the polarity of the connections. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of.
Old 18-04-2023, 09:20   #24

Boat: 1992 Beneteau 390 Classic

I stand corrected... I just revisited the schematic. The solenoid engages M1 or M2 which are both positive with a common ground... Applying power to either of those will yield your up or down.

And without the cover removed is impossible.

Case of Scotch dodged.
dduncansailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 05:31   #25

Boat: no boat any more

manual says "turn nut on gipsy counterclockwise to release chain"

stuck engine starting solenoids have been known to come unstuck by tapping - why not try a rubber mallet?

Tags
windlass, wind, lewmar