Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 05:38   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Lewmar Pro 1000h Windlass slipping clutch

Installed Lewmar Pro 1000h Windlass 2019 and few months onto light use clutch started to slip on raising the anchor (no pulling the boat, just dead vertical chain weight).
My work around has been to shift to drop and again to retrieve, pulling the chain also helps to enganche again but like to keep my 10 fingers!!!
Is this a problem with Lewmar or just this unit?
Thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 06:39   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Lewmar Pro 1000h Windlass slipping clutch

It's been my experience that you have to tighten the clutch every so often. Not a big deal.
Old 29-04-2021, 06:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
It's been my experience that you have to tighten the clutch every so often. Not a big deal.
==============================================

thanks
will open the case to make sure do not see any visible problem with the gears and just keep doing the tightening.
Old 29-04-2021, 07:59   #4

Quote:
================================================
have you ever removed the drive cap?
from the service diagram looks like a chore because the loctite.
Old 29-04-2021, 08:27   #5

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Most windlasses have a way to engage and disengage and tighten the clutch for free fall vs. electrical/manual operation.

Your owners manual covers this. It mentions a "clutch nut" that can be tightened or loosened. See 5.2 and 5.4 here

If the clutch is slipping, tighten the clutch! It would be weird to not be able to do that.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 08:36   #6

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

My Lewmar windlass was shipped with a greased clutch. I had to thoroughly degrease it to get it to work, and now I still have to regularly tighten the clutch during use. It's preferable to my Lofrans that corroded into a big metal lump.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Most windlasses have a way to engage and disengage and tighten the clutch for free fall vs. electrical/manual operation.

Your owners manual covers this. It mentions a "clutch nut" that can be tightened or loosened. See 5.2 and 5.4 here

If the clutch is slipping, tighten the clutch! It would be weird to not be able to do that.
======================================
actually, is weird!!
is almost as if could use a big wrench to embrace the wheel.
have used it in the past with the clutch loose as free fall however stopped doing it as some have reported damage to the gears ,Lewmar has two models, one with the option for free fall and mine is not, so been using the power to drop the the anchor.
Old 29-04-2021, 09:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilostahl View Post
My Lewmar windlass was shipped with a greased clutch. I had to thoroughly degrease it to get it to work, and now I still have to regularly tighten the clutch during use. It's preferable to my Lofrans that corroded into a big metal lump.
No! NO! NO!!!!

The Lewmar clutchNEEDS TO BE GREASED. The clutch is there to protect the shaft key from excess loads. If you run it with a dry clutch, you WILL bend, tear out or break the key and that’s an expensive repair.

READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!!!!!

This is a seriously common mistake that people who think they are smart make. Grease it, tighten the clutch, and don’t overload it.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
==============================================

thanks
will open the case to make sure do not see any visible problem with the gears and just keep doing the tightening.
Just try tightening the clutch. I have taken mine apart to replace the motor but I would not do anything like that with just a slipping clutch. Just tighten it.
Old 29-04-2021, 09:50   #10

Quote:
Just try tightening the clutch. I have taken mine apart to replace the motor but I would not do anything like that with just a slipping clutch. Just tighten it.
=====================================
I think so,getting ready to leave and have enough unfinished jobs,will continue doing just that.
thanks
take care
Old 29-04-2021, 10:05   #11

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
No! NO! NO!!!!

The Lewmar clutchNEEDS TO BE GREASED. The clutch is there to protect the shaft key from excess loads. If you run it with a dry clutch, you WILL bend, tear out or break the key and that’s an expensive repair.

READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!!!!!

This is a seriously common mistake that people who think they are smart make. Grease it, tighten the clutch, and don’t overload it.
Well, this was worked out with Lewmar customer service. As delivered the windlass wouldn't lift 6 feet of chain, let alone an anchor. In reviewing the manual I see that it says under Servicing: "add a small smear of grease to the contact services". I guess I'll have to call customer services again for clarification. Thanks for the heads up.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 17:59   #12

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

I have the profish 1000. I don't have a problem with clutch slipping but I am having some problems 1) everytime I go to raise the anchor the motor seems stuck. It doesn't get stuck very hard but I always take a 1/2" breaker bar with me to give it a little turn. 2) how does the manual retrieve work. It seems like there must be a way to disengage the motor. When I put the rachet in I am turning the motor and It is probably more work than pulling the anchor by hand.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 06:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I have the profish 1000. I don't have a problem with clutch slipping but I am having some problems 1) everytime I go to raise the anchor the motor seems stuck. It doesn't get stuck very hard but I always take a 1/2" breaker bar with me to give it a little turn. 2) how does the manual retrieve work. It seems like there must be a way to disengage the motor. When I put the rachet in I am turning the motor and It is probably more work than pulling the anchor by hand.
Sounds like brushes. Take the motor out and check the brushes. One test is to hit it with a rubber hammer or two by four when it's sticking. If it works after hitting it's probably the brushes.
Old 30-04-2021, 07:28   #14

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Thanks Rick. I hate to think its brushes so soon. It actually feels like some thing is stuck and it just takes a little turn to loosen it. I can live with it for a while. I'm hoping someone can explain how the manual retrieve works.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:45   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

Your windlass came with a tool to tighten the clutch. Using the tool, tighten the clutch to where it doesn't slip when raising the anchor but no more.

And yes, you may have to tighten it again from time to time.

Tags
clutch, lewmar, wind, windlass