Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2009, 11:30   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Line Rubbing

Attached is a picture of how the previous owner had the boat docked. It is backed in and the lines cross over each other (port side stern cleat to starboard side of dock and vise versa). As you can see they rub along side the dinghy davit (which was recently added) and prior to that appear to have rubbed the rail.

I was planning on installing a line chock on each side, so it would take the abuse and redirect the line from the cleats. However, something seems off with that approach and I am seeking a second opinion.

Also, during the recent storm that ran through the Chesapeake, the boat was held with port bow cleat to port side forward piling and starboard bow cleat to starboard side forward piling. Then the stern was the cross over described above. It seems to keep the boat centered between the pilings and dock but it is different than I have seen in anchoring diagrams.

Finally, dockline snubbers? They seem non-existent in the marina I am at - thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linerub.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	11129  

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 11:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Move the cleat or add a second cleat. An alternative would be to use chafing gear. Or of course you could always add a chock to act as a fairlead.

Do you have a pic that shows more of that part of the boat and where the lines lead to?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 11:46   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
Kefaa,
I don't understand your reluctance to install chocks; that is their purpose in life.
Criss-crossed stern lines are the way to go. The practice adds scope which allows further vertical movement with the tides while restricting lateral movement. The only exception that I can think of is an instance where gear is extended wekk behind the transome, ie. a steering vane, dinghy, etc. which would prevent a fair lead to the dock or pilings.
Were the bow wide and blunt, criss cross would work, as well, however since most bows extend well beyond the bow cleats (except for, say, a barge or maybe a junk) without bow pilings well out in front of the boat, it just isn't practical.
Occasionally I have seen snubbers used at the dock, however I believe that maximized scope with nylon lines usually will suffice.
Kirk

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 11:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Lines that lead from the side opposite the dock or pier to the dock or pier are called offshore lines. Like an "offshore stern line" for example. They snub the bow or stern in tighter and are also better suited for places with higher tidal ranges.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 13:13   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Kefaa-
I'd go with the chocks. Everything else seems fine as far as your bow & stern lines go. What about spring lines?
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 13:39   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Yes, chocks may help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Kefaa-
I'd go with the chocks. Everything else seems fine as far as your bow & stern lines go. What about spring lines?
Sometimes they get in the way. My boat has them on the bow, but not the stern for that reason. Chafe gear should do. ~ $0.75/foot for 2-inch tubular webbing from REI.com or many other climbing stores. Secure it to the line by melting a small hole near the near and passing a string or cable tie through it.
Sail Delmarva: Search results for bow detail

I have a similar davit problem. I actually have to deflect the line to keep it from rubbing on my dingy.
Sail Delmarva: Search results for mooring davits

The nylon tubing lasts for many years.
Old 16-11-2009, 13:48   #7

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
I am more double checking this makes sense given the arrangement, than reluctant. For example there is no spring line on the boat, but perhaps the offshore line arrangment removes the need?

Thin - thanks for the links.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 14:01   #8

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefaa View Post
I am more double checking this makes sense given the arrangement, than reluctant. For example there is no spring line on the boat, but perhaps the offshore line arrangement removes the need?

Thin - thanks for the links.
On my last boat I did not needs springs, this time I do. It is all about the fit and the angles. That said, they often help, particularly if you like to keep the boat closer to the dock.
Old 16-11-2009, 14:13   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Well -- Your current arrangement probably does remove the need for spring lines - as long as none of your lines break/chafe through/come loose/etc.
I guess it depends on how paranoid you are. I would definitely have them in place if I knew bad weather was approaching.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 14:15   #10

All true. My last boat was a lot lighter, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Well -- Your current arrangement probably does remove the need for spring lines - as long as none of your lines break/chafe through/come loose/etc.
I guess it depends on how paranoid you are. I would definitely have them if place if I knew bad weather was approaching.
Old 16-11-2009, 17:21   #11

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I
If I'm seeing this right, could you not also install a fairlead for a stern anchor which could serve a dual purpose as a chock?

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote