Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 18:52   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Living With an Oversized Anchor

Congruent with the "anchoring to close" thread, a whopper anchor means that in crowded anchorages it is possible to anchor safely on short scope. This can be really useful!

Jim
Old 10-11-2016, 01:45   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Congruent with the "anchoring to close" thread, a whopper anchor means that in crowded anchorages it is possible to anchor safely on short scope. This can be really useful!

Jim
Indeed!

Plus good technique setting it.

Calls to mind the case in Falmouth in Cornwall, a beautiful natural harbor but with very limited space for anchoring if you want to be near the town, basically a narrow strip between the small craft moorings and the border of the "no anchoring" zone next to the commercial ships' berths. At the edge of this strip you are in about 10 meters of water at high tide, yet you can't let out much chain or you would violate the "no anchoring" zone.

So thank God an oversized Spade, well set, will hold pretty well at 3:1!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:06   #33

Boat: Corbin 39

Just read captain Fatty Goodlanders book "creative anchoring" on my kindle. I highly recommend it to any one who has taken an intrest in this thread. A lifetime of living on the hook on several different sized boats, and he's a great writer too.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:45   #34

Boat: FP Bahia 46

This is indeed a subject that is of great interest to sailors. Sleep well and deeply with your oversized anchor.
Cheers
Ozifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:46   #35

Boat: Marine Trader, Twin cabin, 44

Nothing like the security to dropping a large anchor, then hitting the rack knowing if a thunderstorm rips through the anchorage you won't be on the beach.
Happy cruising.
ddavis4464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 14:42   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In order to try to keep the weight in check, I elected to be over anchored and under chained, by that I mean that 5/16 chain is much smaller than recommended for the 40 Kg anchor, but I believe it to be strong enough for my weight and windage, and 300' of 1/2" would be way more weight in the locker.
It was a conscious decision and I hope the right one, come replacement day for the chain and I will go to G70 chain, I thought that was what I ordered, but apparently ordered 43 instead

How well does the G43 do in your windlass?

I've measured that 5/16" ACCO G70 has the same pitch as 3/8" BBB (G30 in effect), well close enough actually. They both can use the same wildcat - indeed I use a BBB wildcat with my G70 5/16" chain. HT chain hung up all the time.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:27   #37

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

There is no oversized anchor, imo.

Makers' recommendations are wrong, when following just the LOA and displacement (rarely so) criteria.
On top, you should consider Windage, your sailing waters, and probability to face strong winds on hook.

Manson, among the few, recommends to scale up the size depending on these factors, and blue waters sailing. As the Rocna and CQR types are both produced/imitated by Manson, you can draw your conclusions also between the different generations of anchors.

I am strongly convinced that any anchor unable to pierce into the seabed is undersized. I would be personally unhappy with anything below the 50# mark, no matter the boat size..

Also, anchor's weight is a small% of the total weight dropped out, given the chain length contribution, and yes, it is recognized now that anchor should play a higher role than formerly thought.

I believe the prime anchor must be the ordinary one.

Two more should be kept, one as a spare, another as kedge, or launch anchor.

Say 100, 75, and 60# in my case. The two minor ones are secured on the toe rail astern
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:56   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Tbird, not agreeing with many of your statements.
Bigger has pros/cons. A better designed properly sized anchor is betterer...
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:10   #39

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
There is no oversized anchor, imo.
[...]
I would be personally unhappy with anything below the 50# mark, no matter the boat size..
My first yacht was 18' and 1500#. A 50# anchor would have been ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I am strongly convinced that any anchor unable to pierce into the seabed is undersized.
The setting ability has nothing to do with the correct sizing of an anchor. An anchor unable to pierce into the seabed is just unsuitable, not undersized.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:10   #40

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

"Cum grano salis"
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:05   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Tbird, not agreeing with many of your statements.
Bigger has pros/cons. A better designed properly sized anchor is betterer...
Most folks who spend significant time on the hook, know that you can not have too big an anchor, no matter how good it is.. Though putting a 100# anchor on a 30 ish foot boat, might be oversized.

Though I do find a 44# quite adequate for my 34 foot boat. I would not use anything lighter for a primary on my boat.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:14   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Living With an Oversized Anchor

It's 88 lbs, 40 Kg, I don't know where I got 44 Kg from, Rocna doesn't make a 44 Kg.
CRS I guess
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 18:38   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Sailorchic- I have lurked for years on this site but now that sell anchors you must endure my rants and thoughts, sorry all. I have listened to all your comments and have much respect for you.
I am not "most folks" I have 50yrs experience, Dad is retired CDN Navy Comander. Professional skipper with 30k offshore miles. Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico mainly. I work in the marine trade. I am fully experienced in metal fabrication, electrical, mechanical, composite, spars and the list goes on. I have been self employed most of my life, have done stints as a project manager with large yards running projects. Started a few metal shops with many employees. I look after a dozen very nice vessels and currently into a entire revamp of a 125' power.
I have lived aboard most of my life and our boat is currently in mexico. Enough of me...you understand, not most folks.
We have a product that will blow your mind and I do not endorse often. The Excel and Super Sarca performance is something I have never experienced. I thought it was ******** untill I had actually played with them. All summer I dragged these things around, bent bow rollers and sheared windlass keyways. I am talking 6 knts full rpm reverse short scope that will knock you down when it hits, then full speed ahead, tug the bow down 2 feet and spin the boat around like a merry go round. Scary really! They come up clean after all that. I am sold and now Nick and I sell them.
So I am going to say again that I am personally not a believer in bigger is better. Not that its wrong, I just know Anchor Right Australia and Rex Francis is on to something that you all need to see or at least entertain.
BTW my dad in 1978 bought a I/34 in Hawaii when living there. We sailed her to Vancouver Island, I was 14. There are some cruising guides the next owner wrote with that boat renamed 'Coyote'
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 19:12   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
I am talking 6 knts full rpm reverse short scope that will knock you down when it hits, then full speed ahead, tug the bow down 2 feet and spin the boat around like a merry go round. Scary really!
Gee I have 40 years experience myself, if I count sailing my force 5 off Tybee Island.

I think any NG anchor will do pretty much the same. I would be worried about breaking something loose at 6 knots myself. Heck I normally set my anchor with the boat having 2 - 2.5 knots way on and it spin's the Rose well. Sets the anchor pretty sweet too. I also have a substantial Sampson Post that's anchored to the hull. I still back down afterwards, but it does not budge.

I probably could have gone with a 35#, but I sleep far better with the 45# (which looks massive on my little boat). I actually get taken for a real cruiser (not that I care) in marinas, when folks walk by the bow of the Rose with the huge 45# Mantus.

Gee when the wind is howling, no one ever says, "Gee I probably could have used a smaller anchor. 10# or even 40# more on the bow is nothing when it's your home.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 19:27   #45

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I absolutely love anchor threads..hours of entertainment. They are fabulous.:-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, size