Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 11:04   #1

Boat: PEARSON 422
Load test??

Does anyone have a suggestion for something i can splice in to my windlass circuit to simulate the load of a windlass motor (60-80amps)?

I would like to put a new electric windlass on my old sailboat. I have done my research and picked my potential new windlass. When I purchased my boat there was a manual windlass attached but I noticed the boat is wired for an electric windlass. I tested the wires for voltage and they do read system voltage (12.5) at the foredeck. So, I am wondering why the electric windlass was replaced with a manual windlass and if, possibly, the wiring is bad(voltage drop). So, what I would like to do is put a load on the circuit similar to a windlass motor (60-80amps) to test for voltage drop. Does anyone have a suggestion for what I can attach to the windlass wires to simulate the load of a windlass motor? Thanks in advance.
Old 14-03-2017, 11:10   #2

Re: Load test??

Just get your windlass and try it. Maybe the PO's electric went bad and he bought the manual cheap. At any rate, you are going for the electric anyway right? So get 'er done, If the wiring isn't up to snuff, you will just have to redo that too.
You could get a starter from the auto parts store hook it up and then return it. "uninstalled" I suppose. But without a load probably wont tell you too much.
Can you estimate the size of the cable that you have?
I doubt the wiring goes "bad", but the ends can get bad, but be replaced.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 11:20   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just get your windlass and try it. Maybe the PO's electric went bad and he bought the manual cheap. At any rate, you are going for the electric anyway right? So get 'er done, If the wiring isn't up to snuff, you will just have to redo that too.
You could get a starter from the auto parts store hook it up and then return it. "uninstalled" I suppose. But without a load probably wont tell you too much.
Can you estimate the size of the cable that you have?
I doubt the wiring goes "bad", but the ends can get bad, but be replaced.
^^ What he said.

Also, look at the wiring practices in general. If the crimps look well made, and the wires are routed sensibly, if there is a problem it will be something simple.
Old 14-03-2017, 22:27   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
^^ What he said.

Also, look at the wiring practices in general. If the crimps look well made, and the wires are routed sensibly, if there is a problem it will be something simple.
^^ Agree. Measure the diameter of the copper and Google to find a volt drop / current calculator or use the wirewizard APP to find the current capacity of the cable.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 23:36   #5

Boat: Fantasia 35

Direct answer -- Connect three 25 watt 12volt lights in parallel (available at RV stores).
Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 02:37   #6

That would only give 6.25 amps.
Bigggwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 03:34   #7

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigggwilly View Post
That would only give 6.25 amps.
Oops!! You are right! I screwed up! Thinking watts.

However, he could use a 600 watt 12 volt water heater element costing $28.00 to provide a 50 amp load. (It needs to be in water.)

https://www.amazon.com/Dernord-600wa...AEC2CBKH0W857Z
Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 04:46   #8

Boat: ShuttleWorth 32 Catamaran

100A Battery Load Tester, $20 at HF

100 Amp 6/12V Battery Load Tester
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 07:43   #9

I used to use that same tester for a boat rental service that we rented out trolling motors and batteries. Good tool to see the health of aging batteries
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 11:21   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

For what its worth, 60-80 amps doesn't seem right given the size of your yacht (Parson 442 22,000 lb displacement) but maybe (although I would think you'd want something in the 1200 watt range--i.e. 100 amps).

Regardless of the foregoing, if the cable size isn't printed on the outside of the insulation jacket of the wire, you might want to measure the diameter of the conductor bundle (i.e. copper sans insulation) to get a measurement of the conductor cross sectional area (= 3.14 x 1/2 the diameter squared) and compare that with the cross sectional area of various cable sizes to figure out what you've got installed. We had a similar situation on a similar sized yacht and using the existing cable would have been very convenient except, it proved to be quite a bit too small to handle the amperage needed with only a 3%, or less, voltage drop on a 1200 watt windlass motor. I ended up having to install about 90 feet of 2/0 cable, obtained from Pacer Marine in Sarasota Florida, when I installed our Maxwell vertical windlass in '06.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 14:43   #11

Boat: PEARSON 422

Thanks. I took Cheechacos advice and just bought the windlass and installed it. The original wiring was good. Installation went well. I have a functional electric windlass...best investment...ever!

Tags
loa