Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2016, 13:58   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Trinidad 48
Lock quadrant or use emergency tiller tie off

Hi
I'm trying to think of a way to prevent my steering system flopping about even when I lash the wheel. I have a little play in my Edson cable steering ( which is fine normally) when I'm at a mooring or anchor my big rudder flops about and snatches at the cables.
At the moment I'm lashing the actual quadrant.

I thought about putting the emergency tiller in and lashing that? I like that idea as then there is no stress on the old quadrant!

Or fitting a more permanent easy to use 'brake' for the quadrant itself?

anything to leave my cables still.

Anyway, I'd like your thoughts, many thanks
mtompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 14:12   #2

Re: Lock quadrant or use emergency tiller tie off

Why can't you adjust the tension on your cables. You should not have play, or at best a very minimal amount!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 15:25   #3

I only have a minimum amount but it's still an issue, I will try and get a bit more tension in there but I don't want it too tight.
Old 14-10-2016, 23:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Before you crank on the cables.. it can mask problems. Typically there is slop in some thing else. Take your time going thru every item from the rudder blade to wheel with someone wiggling either of those items.
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 14:22   #5

there will always be a little play, that will be hard on your steering system when rocking around, therefore lash the wheel with semihard elastic bands (one for damping movements in each direction) rather than trying to lock the tiller or quadrant. My best solution during years of rocking next to heavy trafifc.
Claus Kjaerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 15:25   #6

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments
Old 15-10-2016, 17:25   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Kjaerby View Post
there will always be a little play, that will be hard on your steering system when rocking around, therefore lash the wheel with semihard elastic bands (one for damping movements in each direction) rather than trying to lock the tiller or quadrant. My best solution during years of rocking next to heavy trafifc.
Thats what I do!
Old 16-10-2016, 06:52   #8

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I have a pretty big rudder and haven't had a problem even with a lot of power boat traffic. they seem to think runnin' through all those anchored boats is the thing to do ;-(

there should be no play in the cables to the quadrant. When you put the brake on...as I do...nothing should move. if it does then somethin' is not mounted properly or in need of repair or replacement. Some systems have pulleys that are mounted on a bulkhead to port and stbrd and I've seen where the bulkhead flexed if you turned to wheel fast...not good. I repaired said bulkhead and re-enforced the design...no more uncontrolled movement. as mentioned Checkout your system. A proper steering system should not have any play. If you have paly, you'll put too much stress on some component within the system and when it breaks you'll have no steering. That would be a bad thing if you were runnin' down a 25 foot square wave trying not to broach or plow into the preceding wave...say...in the windward pass. pitch polling is no fun...been there and won't crew that mans boat ever again... he still hasn't learned.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 07:16   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I'm with the others here... Shock cord should be adequate if there isn't a problem with the system... As a last resort if you still aren't happy, you may be able to devise a pin lock for the quadrant activated by a cable or rod...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 07:26   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I have never had movement like you describe. Either you have too much play in your cables or there is a problem somewhere else in the system. I only ever have to use the wheel brake.

Tags
emergency, enc