Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 13:21   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Lofrans chain vs chain-rope gypsies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Nolex - understand completely but how to handle the rope until the chain arrives? The Tigress has an opening for the chain:
so how do I manually feed the rope down thru this when pulling up by hand?
Yes I agree it can be a problem.

The other difficulty is the transition between the rope and the chain.

Systems that are fine for retrieving the anchor in normal conditions can fail when there is zero visibility and communication between the bow and the helm is non existent. Strong wind and the anchor is dragging at 3am is not the time to discover these shortcomings.

This is one reason why all chain is popular among cruisers. With an electric anchor winch it is a very easy and foolproof system.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 14:24   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Just as an aside - I just switched from 3-strand to 8-plait and the difference is amazing. The 8-plait splice has no problem running through the vertical axis Quick windlass. Goes through every time. With 3-strand we had a 1-in-10 chance of it going through.

I like the weight savings of a combiation rode.

Rolf
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 14:25   #18

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

The table I posted comes from the installation and operation manual that can be found under the product literature tab on this web page: Horizontal Windlasses - Tigres

I am only guessing the Imtra reps you've talked are really saying the rope function in the chain/rope wheel is not very effective. That is something I found when I cruised the Med with 50' of 3/8" chain and 300' of 5/8" rope. I usually just hand retrieved the rope rode. When in the deeper (>50') anchorages I used the drum to get the chain into the anchor roller, then pulled the chain onto the gypsy. That was with a Lofrans Royal, the manual version of the Tigres.

Lofrans and Imtra may be just disowning the use of the gypsy for rope because it is not very effective (at least that was my experience). I still don't know why those reps didn't make that clear and point out there is a rope drum on the windlass.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 23:25   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

They did point out the drum and said you would have to manually switch between the drum and gypsy but as noelex points out it would be a guaranteed disaster at 0300 in storm conditions. You would have to take the time to manually feed it in while hauling. Add to that a cat which hauls in its anchor aft of the bows and can easily get crosswise to the direction of the chain. Totally unworkable is my opinion.

They also mentioned someone had a custom made a gypsy for the Tigres that handles rope/chain but I have been unable to find any references to how they made it.

I've tried 20mm 8 plait in the gypsy and it slipped when dry under load. I could try 22mm (1") but I doubt would be enough either. For me, all chain looks like my only answer. I have a spare qypsy at home for what I think is 5/16HT so I may bring it back here in the spring and start over.
Ostinato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14   #20

Boat: Kaufman 47

Can you see if the drums/gypsy head is interchangeable? Maybe you can order a chain/rope drum and change it out.. Worth a shot, I'm sure they sell replacements for worn gypsies.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:43   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Sorry, but Imtra may be good for lights and such, but imho, are hopeless when it comes to backup and service on windlasses and winches. Don't even bother to ask for info on Muir models that they supply, but whose service books are not on their website.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:28   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Imtra claims Lofrans does not make one that does rope/chain and I cannot find any source in Europe that says differently. That's why someone got desperate enough to make their own I guess. It seems like a wide enough market gap for some to have filled it with a knock off but so far i haven't found it.
Ostinato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 20:35   #23

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

There can be variations... I switched from a 10 mm 30 grade chain to a 8 mm 70 grade. Reduced weight but additionally, the 8 mm 70 grade is a stronger chain than the 10 mm 30 grade.

I have 100 meters (330 feet) of chain with a new gen 45 kg (100 lbs) Ultra anchor at the end. ... plus a 100 meter anchor rode spliced in.

Peace at anchor has a price....
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, rope