Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 13:38   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Lofrans Chainwheel help

I'm switching a Lofrans Falkon from 3/8" BBB to 3/8" HT. So I need to change chain wheels. I ordered and recieved one. Then the mystery begins.

IMTRA shows the Chainwheel as having 7 pockets. IMTRA insists all their chain wheels have stampings.

This wheel has 6 pockets, with no stampings, but had a bar code sticker with the right part number.

I've it on the floor here and put a foot of 3/8" HT though it, and it looks to run just fine. I laid the chain in, no tension, and rolled the wheel. It seems to lay just right.

The vendor has offered to take this back, but that's a hassle for everyone.

Anyone have a similar experience? I vaguely recall someone saying that the manufacturers somethimes muck around with their chain wheel designs? Maybe an older wheel?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 14:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: Lofrans Chainwheel help

I also have a Falkon windlass and the chain gypsy has the following written on it “367C 3/8 HT 010-P30”

The handbook that came with the windlass say 367C is for 3/8 DIN 766-BBB 10-DIN 766 chain

I had been using 10mm chain in the windlass with no problem but wanted to buy new HT anchor chain so queried the part numbers and markings with Lofrans IT whose response was as follows

you must use 3/8"HT chain or 10 ISO pitch 30 mm

regards
Lofrans

and I also queried it with Lofrans USA who gave me the following answer

The chain wheel you have is indeed a M10 or a 3/8 HT chain wheel.

Lofrans made a mistake in their casting and stamped the incorrect number on the wheel.

Hope this helps
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 18:57   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Lofrans Chainwheel help

It does help, at least to the extent that they can make mistakes on their casting markings.

I don't know what to make of this. I'm leaning towards just returning it. Looking a the pictures I took there are some pretty signifying differences in the casting.

I also feel sorry for the vendor, now he has something he can't sell, until he identifies it anyway.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, wheel