Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2023, 02:46   #1

Boat: Island Packet 38
Lofrans Tigres vs. Maxwell HRC10 - Is 1000w enough?

Good morning all!
I am just about to purchase a Lofrans Tigres for my Island Packet 38, but I want to take one last look around to see if there are any reasonable alternatives.

My criteria: bulletproof / robust / durable, hauling a 60# CQR on 5/16" chain, daily use, 12v, horizontal with drum to port and gypsy to starboard. I single hand and will set up a hand-held/wired controller at the bow and a remote switch at the helm with chain counter display.

Cost is not a primary issue, but I'm open to less expensive alternatives than the Lofrans. I like the idea of saving $600 with the Maxwell - would buy me a nice N2K masthead wind sensor.

Any thoughts on the Maxwell HRC10? I'm inclined to a more powerful unit like the Lofrans (1500w vs 1000w). I would rather run a beefier windlass at half or two-thirds load than run a smaller windlass at full load. (Note: I've cruised for 20 years and know not to use the windlass to pull the boat forward to the anchor - it's just for lifting.)

In your experiences, is a 1000W windlass robust and durable enough to lift this size of ground tackle? I want to install this ONCE and have it last for 10 years of frequent use.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Jeff on Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 13:22   #2
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lofrans Tigres vs. Maxwell HRC10 - Is 1000w enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff on Aurora View Post
Good morning all!
I am just about to purchase a Lofrans Tigres for my Island Packet 38, but I want to take one last look around to see if there are any reasonable alternatives.

My criteria: bulletproof / robust / durable, hauling a 60# CQR on 5/16" chain, daily use, 12v, horizontal with drum to port and gypsy to starboard. I single hand and will set up a hand-held/wired controller at the bow and a remote switch at the helm with chain counter display.

Cost is not a primary issue, but I'm open to less expensive alternatives than the Lofrans. I like the idea of saving $600 with the Maxwell - would buy me a nice N2K masthead wind sensor.

Any thoughts on the Maxwell HRC10? I'm inclined to a more powerful unit like the Lofrans (1500w vs 1000w). I would rather run a beefier windlass at half or two-thirds load than run a smaller windlass at full load. (Note: I've cruised for 20 years and know not to use the windlass to pull the boat forward to the anchor - it's just for lifting.)

In your experiences, is a 1000W windlass robust and durable enough to lift this size of ground tackle? I want to install this ONCE and have it last for 10 years of frequent use.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Not Totally Helpful, But I have the older 1200W Tigres with 12mm (1/2") Chain and a 40KG (88Lb) anchor - I have anchored in up to 15M(50ft) with no issues.

The specs should tell you the working & dead lift amounts it can do - Just figure out your chain weight/M (Ft), anchor weight and what maximum depth you'll want to anchor in (I personally would not worry about emergency anchoring depths) and if you are not comfortable with the smaller 1000w margins then go the bigger one
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 13:39   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've had an HRC10-8 (1000W) on my boat for a few years. The HRC10-10 is more powerful (1200W) but comes standard with a chainwheel for 3/8". Max pull on the HRC10-8 is 1540 lbs, so figuring you don't want to go over 25% of that to be conservative (Maxwell says 33%), you're fine to lift 385 lbs of gear. A 60 lb anchor and 300 feet of 5/16" chain is just within that if you dropped all of the gear in very deep water.

My windlass lifts a 73lb Vulcan and 90 feet of 5/16" G43. I've lifted the whole lot in over 100 feet of water with no issue, so it's a ~170 lb lift. I've lifted my gear in 30 - 50 feet of water many times and I'm generally very happy with the windlass.

The Lofrans is a slightly more powerful (and according to the specs slightly faster) windlass (although the HRC10 is still pretty fast). Either should be good for your application. The tradeoffs are basically a higher price for the more powerful and faster Lofrans vs a lower price for the still plenty adequate Maxwell. If it matters, the Maxwell can pull rope spliced to chain on the gypsy while the Lofrans cannot as far as I know.

Personally, I'd buy the Maxwell and put the saved money towards a better anchor to replace the CQR.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 14:04   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If it matters, the Maxwell can pull rope spliced to chain on the gypsy while the Lofrans cannot as far as I know.

I have a Cayman which is essentially the same as the Tigress and uses the same chainwheel. I have had good results getting it to pull rope spliced with chain. I do have to poke at the rope a little (with the handle not my fingers) to get the splice to go through.

And yes there are better choices than that CQR.
Old 17-11-2023, 20:45   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I just upgraded to the Maxwell hrc 10-8. 8mm ss chain, and spade s-120(55lbs) it pulls it up fast and easy. We just came back from Nova Scotia and Maine, so had a few 40&50' deep anchorages. No issues at all.
The best part is the new gypsy design. New wave, or some name like that. It does 5/16, 8mm, All sizes, BBB, g4, g7. Plus 5/8 rope. It really does work with it all, and smoothly thru transitions.
I'm very happy with it and would highly recommend it.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 03:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I just upgraded to the Maxwell hrc 10-8...
... The best part is the new gypsy design. New wave, or some name like that. It does 5/16, 8mm, All sizes, BBB, g4, g7. Plus 5/8 rope. It really does work with it all, and smoothly thru transitions.
I'm very happy with it and would highly recommend it.
According to their advertising:

Maxwell's Revolutionary New Chainwheel

Maxwell once again leads the market in innovative thinking with the introduction of their latest Wave Design™ chainwheel. This patented rope/chain wheel incorporates two unique design concepts that greatly improve the handling and control of the rope/chain spliced rode. The outer ribs of the chainwheel are angled slightly forward ensuring that the rope and the chain are smoothly guided in the wheel during anchor retrieval.

As the rope pulls into the wheel, the opposite facing inner ribs grip the rope in an undulating manner, securing the rope more firmly in a 'wave pattern' action that is far superior to the traditional 'jam cleat' manner of holding the rope compared to all other products on the market. Not only does this Wave Design™ hold the rope more securely, it is also kinder on the rope resulting in increased longevity of your anchor rode.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 06:31   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have a Cayman which is essentially the same as the Tigress and uses the same chainwheel. I have had good results getting it to pull rope spliced with chain. I do have to poke at the rope a little (with the handle not my fingers) to get the splice to go through.

That's good to know. The Maxwell does pull the splice in pretty nicely without help most of the time. Interestingly, I've found the splice feeds and transitions better if there's more load on the windlass (so in deeper water). Seems like the extra tension pulls the slightly bulky splice deeper into the chainwheel so the chain grabs better as it transitions and is less likely to slip. Any time it has slipped though I've just had to back it out a few feet and try again, I've never needed to help it manually.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 19:11   #8

Boat: Taswell 49

I recently purchased a 1991 Taswell 49 and it has an original Maxwell VWC 3000 windlass which I suspect made need replacement and I am looking for advice on which anchor would be a suitable replacement. I am considering replacing the current CQR with a 48 Kg (108lb) Mantus or a 40 Kg (88lb) Rocna. Any recommendations on both windlass and anchor combinations from more experienced sailors than I, and what is the rational behind the recommendation? Your knowledge and wisdom is appreciated.
My Wind Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 20:59   #9

I helped a buddy put a Maxwell HRC10 on a Tayana 38 a couple of years ago. He's been having good luck so far.

Unless you are going to use the windlass to pull the boat forward against wind &/or current when you pull the anchor, I expect the HRC 10 to be plenty. ...but pulling the boat forward against mother nature without motor assist is a no-no with any windlass.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, maxwell