Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 01:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Lofrans windlass, chain jumping.

I've just installed a brand new lofrans tigress windlass on our 38ft steel cruising yacht. The installation went fine and I am happy with the position on deck, position that the chain falls etc. Stupidly I originally ordered the wrong gypsy. I ordered the 10ml by 28ml. With this arrangement the chain jumped like crazy. I sent the gypsy back and got a 30ml instead which upon measuring again seemed correct. With the new gypsy it's performing better though still jumps from time to time, and is often close to jumping, far too often. I use to have a vertical windlass which was built like a tank (an old Muir) but after 30years and multiple repairs it has finally died. I decided to go with the lofrans mostly because of its ability to be lifted manually, but also because of its reputation for longevity. With the chain jumping the way it is I'm feeling rather silly for changing to a horizontal. I'm looking into 3 changes and any advice would be great.
Firstly, I need to confirm that there isn't a gypsy more suitable. I'm not too clear on the ISO or DIN difference but have read that it makes a difference, specifically in 10ml chain. Anyone heard this? The lofrans supplier here in Australia don't seem to know all that much and I don't know which my chain is.

Secondly, even if I find a more appropriate gypsy, I will switch the end of the chain for the beginning for there is a section between 15m and 25m, the part for me most often half in half out of the water, which I think is thinning just slightly. The sections of chain before and after this point tends to jump less.

Thirdly, I will install a wheel forward of the windlass and lower down to add some downwards pressure on the chain forcing it to grip a larger section of the gypsy. I've seen this done on other boats. No exactly sure the details yet but it seems an easy enough, extra precaution.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I will add some pics when the sun is up.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Lofrans windlass, chain jumping.

I've just noticed there is another tread going on concerning lofrans gypsies. Maybe it their gypsies that are the problem instead our chains!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:02   #3

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Sounds to me like you still don’t have the right Gypsy, OR there is not sufficient contact (wrap) around the gypsy.
For an explanation of chains and measurements, check here
Old 09-11-2016, 02:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Yeah thanks. I've always assumed my chain doesn't have marking on it however that site suggests that the manufacturers offer only stamp ever 22 links or so. I'll have a good look tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:12   #5

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

If there is no stamp, measure it with calipers, then look under support section of the Lofrans website, and ask them to recomend a specific gypsy for the dimensions of your chain....
Old 09-11-2016, 02:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1478686291.763124.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	135584

This method I found in an older thread makes the most sense to me. Provided there isn't too much added friction.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:09   #7

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

Is it possible to raise the height of the windlass so there is more chain contact with the gypsy?
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

It would be possible. I actually cut a 12cm thick piece of hardwood to use as a base plate yet decided not to use it in the end. Mostly for aesthetic reasons. It would be a pain of a job but it could be ripped up and raised.

I was just out on deck with a touch and am thinking that if I went with the wheel idea, to force the chain downwards and thus into more contact with the gypsy, that I could use my old gypsy from my old winch. Probably ideal.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Just playing with that same Muir right now, same issue. Need to raise it a foot before it really helps. I have built a bunch of sprocket idlers on different windlasses. Off the front two bolts or slide it under the whole windlass to pick up all four bolts. Needs to run freely and be very strong/properly engineered, imagine those loads. I'll post a pic when I get something tacked together.
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:05   #10

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,

Gypsy has to match with chain size. If not the chain will jump and this could be dangerous for the crew.
For the same chain size link are not the same between ISO and DIN. Most the time you will find on one side of the gypsy the chain size you can use with.

For exemple with 10mm chain pitch (Inside mesure of the link) is 28mm in DIN and 30mm in ISO818.

Have a good day
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:33   #11

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I am having a similar problem and am most interested in hearing advice / experiences. My set up is a Lewmar vertical Windlass. Main issue is lack of fall due to the locker being in the cat bridge deck. I can start with approx 600mm fall but need to " kick over " the chain build every 20m or so. A dirty job at this critical retrieval stage. I learned that if I ignore the occasional ' jump ' , then the gypsy is suffering .After replacing the gypsy , last season ,It again worked perfectly but now , say ,200 retrievals later , the problem is returning. My thoughts are to install a profiled hardwood guide to keep the chain tight on the gypsy. However , any observations would be most welcome.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 13:23   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

I have a Lofrans Tigre's, 5/16 HT chain. Two things are important; the gypsy must match the chain size and the chain must wrap around the gypsy so the angle of the chain between the gypsy and bow roller is 90* or less, not greater than 90. Mine has worked flawlessly since installation. Your problem lies somewhere in that set up I would guess. Good luck.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 15:34   #13

Boat: Saltram 40

I suffered from the jumping on my Lofrans. New chain and new gypsy, but quite a long distance from gypsy to bow roller and not a great wrap arount. I mounted a guide roller between the windlass and the bow with a removable pin. It cured my problem successfully.

The removable pin is to that the chain can be freed to stow the anchor.

Graham
Ellida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 15:44   #14

Yep. The chain has very little contact with the wildcat on most horizontals. What do you have? One full link and maybe 1/2 more?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 16:58   #15

Boat: Saltram 40

Yes. Very few links in full contact. The chain guide helps it to exceed two (approx).
Ellida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, wind, windlass