Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57   #16

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Looking for New Anchor

Similar decision. Just "re-anchored" a Pearson 422. After reading far too many anchor threads and listening to too many 'experts,' we opted for a Manson Supreme 45# w/ 200' of 3/8 G40.

We're in the Chesapeake for a couple years then planning to cruise from Maine to the islands.

Read a lot, listen a lot, then make your own decision.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:02   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lewis View Post
We are trying to decide between a Delta, Rocna, Manson Supreme and even an Ultra (SS made in Turkey and looks pretty). Anyone out there got any advice or experiences that they would like to share to help our decision making. Boat: Moody 38S and sailing in and around Turkey Greece etc so a variety of bottoms!
Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you
Ray
You mean you are actually CONSIDERING the Rocna after all the prove that they build their Chinese anchors with sub-standard steel.

West Marine has issued a recall on Chinese Rocna's.

In their words:"It's a bummer that Rocna produced anchors with steel of a lesser grade then called for....."
Old 11-08-2011, 12:19   #18

I might be misunderstanding you in that it sounds like you only have 1 anchor currently. I would not set out without a minimum of 3 different styles of anchors. Danforth, Bruce, and a plow style anchor. They do overlap in the ability to be used in the same bottom conditions. I have a very large "storm" anchor, 35# plow, 35# danforth HT, and a smaller lunch hook. I do store these anchors in places on the boat that will lend the weight to help with sailing. With times being what they are, there are deals out there on good used anchors.
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 13:41   #19

Boat: Caliber 40

Sorry, Ray. My answer was not particularly helpful. It's just that question comes charged with some serious opinions around here.

My opinion is probably not terribly useful. I've owned one boat and I've only ever used two types of anchors on it. When we bought the boat, it came with a 45lb Spade anchor. It always set the first time but I felt it was a bit small for our 40' 13 ton sailboat. So we upgrade to a 73lb Rocna and love the crap out of this anchor. It always sets the first time. We've tested it's holding in two days of solid 35 to 40 knots and we never moved. I've dove on it after the wind reverses 180 degrees. The Rocna pretty much pivots in place. There's no drag/reset. In the year we were out cruising through BC, the US west coast and Mexico, we anchored 300 nights all on the Rocna. Never a problem.

You'll probably get some replies about build quality of Rocnas. We got ours from the Canadian distributor so I can't speak to the build quality of new Rocnas. I'll leave that to everyone else.

I've got opinions on all sorts of other anchors (cough-CQR-cough) but all those opinions are based on other boats' experiences, not mine, so those opinions aren't really worth typing up.

There's lots of vitriol and misinformation out there about anchor types, especially in internet forums. I would place more value on walking the docks and talking to people who are out cruising, setting their anchors, waiting out blows and find out their opinions.
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 13:57   #20

I would spend a little extra and get a manson supreme You are only gonna buy it one time You will not regret it
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 14:36   #21

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Chris-

Bang for the buck, Delta will win. But aside from "my anchor is better than your anchor," you did not mention your plan for mounting the anchor. Light anchors ........and I do mean very light anchors can be handled without a bow roller if you want to put up with all the problems including fighting with life lines while trying to get the anchor on deck.

As others mentioned, size does matter for safe holding. If you enjoy sleeping at night you will enjoy a big heavy anchor although those with aluminum anchors will differ. But don't kid yourself, a bow roller is essential to launching and retrieving large anchors. If you do not have one, you should consider purchasing/installing one AFTER you have made your anchor choice. You want to be sure the roller will complement your anchor.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 20:00   #22

Boat: Jeantot Euphorie 40

As the representative of Ultra Anchors in the USA. I must say our anchors work, they set quickly and can be depended upon to stay set in changes of direction and we have never had a warranty claim in the thousands we have sold world wide.

Tags
anchor