Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 08:24   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
re: Lost Our Boat Due To A Bad Mooring Swivel...

Backing down as if you were hard setting the anchor is a good thing to do. It might not have made any difference in this case.

Sounds like you and the family have a good perspective on life.
Old 18-08-2018, 08:38   #17

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
re: Lost Our Boat Due To A Bad Mooring Swivel...

I don't think we ever got to meet, but you cruised with lots of our friends (Trismic, Peirina, Flip Flops). Everyone thinks the world of you guys. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I really hope you do find another boat and we get a chance to meet you.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 08:45   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet
Re: Lost Our Boat Due To A Bad Mooring Swivel...

I have a back up pendant that I attach to every mooring I use be it for one night or 2 weeks.. I attach directly to the main chain...... takes about 5 minutes. highly recommend. Sorry to hear.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 09:03   #19

Boat: Nicholson 55

Thank you for posting this sad story. I hope you soon get going again.
Methersgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 09:11   #20

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Backing down on a mooring is an excellent idea, even if not foolproof. One evening I tied up to a mooring without realizing it was designed for a light fishing sciff. We woke up some distance away (fortunately not on the beach) with some very unhappy local fisherman. With much embarrassment and apologies, we compensated them for their trouble. A lesson we learned on the cheap.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 09:21   #21

Boat: Currently in between

I must be a slow learner, I never would have thought of backing down on a mooring. What a great idea and will be on our 'mooring list" from this point forward.
Old 18-08-2018, 09:22   #22

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Wow ! And we thought we were pretty safe using double bridles to the mooring pendant.

I like the idea of a personal back up pendant and hardware to the chain. my tiny pea brain never thought of that although we do carry a good sized length of line with a snap shackle for a back up reefing line, or what ever .

We could probably use that with a double sheet bend to a dock line and double cleat it to the bow cleats. Thanks for the idea.

We also snorkel our mooring and the actual depth under the keel, but a hardware failure.....

our hearts go out to you, and after all of the situation with your boat is resolved, and the determination is there, may you continue to live your dream.

The positive aspect is that you and your family had 40,000 miles of the cruising life, and that is a heck of a lot more than most boaters .

Hang in there.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 09:41   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Yes, check moorings. We all know that swivel. I won’t have one on our boat. Surprising that there was one as part of the mooring. Moorings are typically very uncomplicated and plain. I have never seen one with a swivel.

So sorry for your loss.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 09:46   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

This is why I'm terrified of swivels. My own mooring had a chinese swivel among all the US made tackle. A spring inspection showed the swivel badly rusted and worn, while all else (including a second Crosby swivel) was in perfect order. Needless to say, two days later there was a new Crosby swivel where the chinese one had been.
I wonder if the people who rent the moorings have any liability if the mooring fails? It seems like if you're renting something you have a responsibility to maintain it.
Old 18-08-2018, 09:47   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
I have a back up pendant that I attach to every mooring I use be it for one night or 2 weeks.. I attach directly to the main chain...... takes about 5 minutes. highly recommend. Sorry to hear.

Greg

That's a good tactic, but it still leaves me preferring an anchor as the pendant is only as big enough as the mooring hardware will allow.

A 30 kg. SPADE and 3/8" G40 chain just seems more reliable and, in my case, swivel-free.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 09:48   #26

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN2140 View Post
Backing down on a mooring is an excellent idea, even if not foolproof. One evening I tied up to a mooring without realizing it was designed for a light fishing sciff. We woke up some distance away (fortunately not on the beach) with some very unhappy local fisherman. With much embarrassment and apologies, we compensated them for their trouble. A lesson we learned on the cheap.

I have found (in retrospect) that lessons are cheap in proportion to the alternative of not learning at all!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 10:10   #27
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

I take it that was not your mooring...so you don't know how long that swivel had been in the water. I have used a 1/2" galvanized eye & eye swivel on my Northwest mooring over the last 23 years and never had a problem BUT I REPLACE IT EVERY THREE YEARS along with other galvanized shackles and parts.

My condolences on your loss.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 10:19   #28
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
That's a good tactic, but it still leaves me preferring an anchor as the pendant is only as big enough as the mooring hardware will allow.

We do use Dyneema for a back-up safety line for our anchor chain in case the snubber (hook, line or cleat) would fail. It's a big loop made of 6mm Dyneema with a breaking strength of 3 tons. We form an eye out of it, put it through our 10mm chain, pull the rest of the loop through the eye and then put it on a cleat. As it is doubled it has a breaking strength of about 6 tons, that should be more than sufficient and is more than most 10mm chains.

Could be done the same way for moorings, just use a longer loop.
Old 18-08-2018, 10:42   #29

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
The positive aspect is that you and your family had 40,000 miles of the cruising life, and that is a heck of a lot more than most boaters .

Hang in there.
We feel very fortunate to have had that time.
Our situation was also put into perspective when talking to the people who were assisting us in St.Croix. Almost everyone there had been adversely affected by the hurricanes last year, loosing homes, roofs, cars, boats, jobs... They were still struggling to recover. We were able to clean up our mess pay our bills and fly back to our life in Canada.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 10:51   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Before everyone condemns moorings over anchoring; I’ve hear and read quite a few stories where you those on anchor ended up on the rocks and those on moorings didn’t.

Tags
lost, mooring