Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2015, 15:01   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Maggi Chain now in the USA!

If you are buying new chain then order it with an oversized link on each end if you want to have some flexibility in using strong shackles. I have done it before, it wasn't a big deal through a commercial riggers' supply outfit. That probably means a locally manufactured chain - go with Campbell if you are not trusting ACCO.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 17:30   #17

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Great product I bought Agua 7 in New Zealand 4 years ago, and had it shipped to Sydney Australia. It has a G 70 rating.

Enjoy the the safe peace of mind.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 17:46   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Great news and thanks for posting! I'll hit them up for a quote on 5/16 once they are up and running. How has their price compared to Acco in the past?

Matt
Old 27-05-2015, 17:56   #19

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I can't recall but it is more expensive as it came from italy to NZ agent then shipping to sydney. Never the less worth it as I have never ever had to worried about the chain since I installed it.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 18:33   #20

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Hamilton Marine carries Crosby hi-test silver shackles that match the WLL of HT chain. Go one size larger, e.g. a 3/8 shackle pin will fit 5/16 chain links.
SHACKLE ANCHOR 3/8" USA 2TON HI TEST SLVR PIN 105393
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:07   #21

Boat: 44 footer

Thanks for the heads up, I sent them a request for a quote.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 14:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Why pay so much? Head over to your local industrial rigging supply. Or order online:

Crosby Anchor Shackle - Screw Pin - 3/8" - G-209A - 2 Ton
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 10:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Looks like for right now, they have their own warehouse in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

They will be supplied with chain for retail in mid-June.

Mark
I was initially happy to see this because I'll need 300' of new chain in Fort Lauderdale late-summer .... but when I looked at Practical Sailor's Jan 2015 Galvanized Coatings Test of chain, the results for Maggi were quite inconsistent. Maggi G70 had 50 micron thickness with no flaking and good adhesion but poor abrasion resistance, while G40 had 185 micron thickness with much flaking and poor adhesion but great abrasion resistance. Maybe the two types are produced by two different plants?
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 17:07   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
I was initially happy to see this because I'll need 300' of new chain in Fort Lauderdale late-summer .... but when I looked at Practical Sailor's Jan 2015 Galvanized Coatings Test of chain, the results for Maggi were quite inconsistent. Maggi G70 had 50 micron thickness with no flaking and good adhesion but poor abrasion resistance, while G40 had 185 micron thickness with much flaking and poor adhesion but great abrasion resistance. Maybe the two types are produced by two different plants?
I haven't seen the report. Our G4 Maggi chain has been excellent in terms of galvanizing - neither flaking or abrading more than expected in the past 5 years. This is with almost continuous anchoring (>300 days/yr).

Compared to our previous Acco G4, which lost all galvanizing and rusted to the point of being unusable within a year.

How did Acco compare on the PS tests?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 17:33   #25

Acco (Peerless) G43 5/16 had no flaking, good adhesion, but poor abrasion resistance, which could account for your results and might be due to its galv thickness of only 70 microns.

What seems most remarkable about the PS tests is how much variation there is within the same brand from grade to grade of chain. For example, the Peerless G70 and G30 had fair abrasion ratings with galv thicknesses of 130 and 144 respectively. Maggi's thickness varies from 50 for G70 with terrible abrasions to 185 for G43 with excellent abrasion but unfortunately the flaking and adhesion results were opposite to the abrasion/thickness.

Campbell was the most consistent in flaking/adhesion and thickness, but still varies from excellent to fair on abrasion.

Fortunately for me, 5/16 G43 is what I need and Campbell's had high marks across the board for it -- anyone know where I can buy Campbell in the Fort Lauderdale area?

- Rusty
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 00:17   #26

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I have been struggling to find anything other than basic standard 8mm (5/16") chain in Australia. Maybe these guys will ship from NZ (without breaking the bank)? e-mail sent...
Look at Marine direct.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 15:57   #27

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Definitely Up and Running:
The warehouse is located four or five miles west of Fort Lauderdale, along the 'Marine Mile' Road (sorry, I don't know the number)
Contact: Preston Thomas on (954) 529 9067 or try preston@chainsandanchors.com or preston@maggichainusa.com also a websites: www.chainsandanchors.com and www.maggichainusa.com

We bought 230' of 10mm DIN766 chain from there this morning and it looks marvellous, just like we can buy back home in Europe! Made and hot-dipped galvanised in Italy - when a link's cut, there's enough zinc on it for you to see the galvanising on the cut section.

I saw drums of 5/16", 3/8" and both types of 10mm and as I recall 5/16" & 8mm are a precise match? What other sizes are stocked I can't confirm, but they're stocking both metric and imperial sizes and there were lots of drums in there.
The service we got this morning was first class; despite my having had to mess them around over when I could get to Fort Lauderdale, Preston collected us at the dinghy dock, drove us out to the warehouse, found the best chain-fit to suit our gypsy, then drove us and our new chain back to the dock. European quality chain and USA quality service; a great combination!
Both 10mm chain types and the 3/8" were retailing @ $3.50/ft plus Florida tax, so around $3.70/ft. for cut lengths, presumably less if you wanted a whole drum - the 3/8" & 10mm were definitely in 400 foot drums and I think, but can't promise, that the 8mm - 5/16" chains were in 550' drums.

No connection with company, beyond being a satisfied customer.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:31   #28

Excellent! I'm in the market for 150ish feet of 5/16 chain. Will give them a call. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:51   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Definitely Up and Running:
The warehouse is located four or five miles west of Fort Lauderdale, along the 'Marine Mile' Road ...
Maggi Chains USA
3100 State Rd 84,
Unit 405,
Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33312

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:49   #30

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkangas View Post
Excellent! I'm in the market for 150ish feet of 5/16 chain. Will give them a call. Thanks for the heads up.
Great, tell Preston the one-eyed English guy recommended him.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote