Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2014, 11:34   #16

Re: Manson Supreme or Rocna

I'd go with the 55lb. Rocna as long as it fits, its the ideal size for a 38-42 foot boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 11:59   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK
You guy's talked me into it, actually I looked again at the Rocna sizing chart, and because of the weight of the boat, it kicks me to the 55 lb anchor. Of course size (windage) and weight (inertia) both play into how much force is exerted.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 12:02   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Defender did right by me
Old 25-07-2014, 12:58   #19

Boat: csy 37

We've had a 45lb manson supreme on our csy 37 - 20000lb full keel cutter - for 3 years. BEST ANCHOR I HAVE EVER OWNED IN 35 YEARS.

We were in a big blow in white sound, abaco - maybe the same one a previous poster mentioned - and were one of the few boats that didn't drag an inch.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 17:20   #20

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Boat is behind my house on Poston Bayou out near the college.

You will find that the boat/ Yanmar will be needed to break that Rocna out of the bottom. There is a downside to all that wonderful holding power. It will usually bring up a good piece of the bottom, but it tows beautifully just below the surface and will come clean in under 60 seconds.

When you get serious about the autopilot you need to come see me. The best place to get hold of the steering system on the older IPs is on the back end of the shaft that runs between your legs (chain and sprocket drive). Don't let anybody convince you to put a linear drive with an arm on the rudder post. Works, but will quickly make you energy poor.

Frankly Frank
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 18:07   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Frank sent you a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-07-2014, 21:53   #22

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Had a Rocna, have a Manson Supreme.
Old 25-07-2014, 22:18   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I think they're both about equal, and I own one of each. The Manson shank is higher as it sits in your roller, due to stupid slot, and the hoop also comes up higher, so it's more likely to interfere with a sprit. Rocna shank is longer.

Get that windlass. Get that AP.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 00:23   #24

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I like the rock slot on my manson. For me its a big selling point, for remote places with deep cold water, getting an anchor fouled would be a big problem. The hole anchor looks sturdy, and the galvanised coating seems solid.

On the other hand the 55lb rocna might be a better fit for you than the 60lb manson. Mock them up and see.
Old 26-07-2014, 01:02   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A64pilot,

The heavier anchor is a good deal. We displace somewhere between 10 and 12 tonnes, light for our length. Our Manson Supreme is a 60 pounder. Our boat probably has more windage than yours. This anchor dragged 3 times I can remember: 1) wouldn't set, had tried to set in someone's swim trunks, set after removing trunks; 2) wouldn't set, speared an abalone shell and couldn't dive , removed shell, and set it; 3)and one time in soft mud, dragged in 55-60 kts. during a frontal passage...we re-anchored, and set our little 20 lb. High Tensile Danforth also. No more dragging, but when we retrieved the Danforth, the mud on it was a different consistency and color from where the Manson was.

I think you made a wise decision, and your new anchor will serve you well.

Ann
Old 26-07-2014, 05:05   #26

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I like the rock slot on my manson. For me its a big selling point, for remote places with deep cold water, getting an anchor fouled would be a big problem. The hole anchor looks sturdy, and the galvanised coating seems solid.

On the other hand the 55lb rocna might be a better fit for you than the 60lb manson. Mock them up and see.
Have never used the rock slot, and would not. It might be OK for fishing or lunch hook, but I'd never go to sleep or leave the boat when using a rock slot. If I thought it was needed I'd rather set a trip line.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 06:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Have never used the rock slot, and would not. It might be OK for fishing or lunch hook, but I'd never go to sleep or leave the boat when using a rock slot. If I thought it was needed I'd rather set a trip line.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 20:28   #28

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I am interested in testing it, so far I havent seen a good report on how long it takes to reset after tripping and how successful it is at unfouling an anchor, but from what I understand even with a 180 windshift when it might be more likely to trip and then break out, it should then untrip itself and reset again. But certainly the slot is not needed in many good anchorages with a good bottom.

For me the times when it's useful are day stops on unknown and possibly foul bottoms, often these are in dodgy places anyway and a tripline then becomes a liability if you need to leave in a hurry if conditions change for the worse.

Anytime when the bottom is possibly foul and I am using a stern anchor or shorelines, then the rock slot is a no brainer, with no downsides and big advantages. Again triplines are a nuisance and can be dangerous if for some reason you need to leave at night or in a hurry. There is enough rope in the water as it is witout adding another.

Another time is open roadsteads, often the water is deep and you may need to leave in a hurry, at night, triplines are out for this reason, and the rock slot could make the difference between leaving your main anchor and chain behind, or recovering it.

In East Antarctica I used a tripline on my fishermans because I couldn't slide a loop of chain down over the shank as a backup recovery meothod. On the Penisular I used a CQR, and worried about it becoming foul, but had no real option, I wasn't going to play with trip lines with so much ice about. Normally we kept an anchor watch anyway. We frequently had to shift during the night to avoid iceburgs. If I get there again with the manson supreme I would happily use the rock slot, also for patagonia where I normally used shorelines the rockslot would be used. In the tropics I would be happy to use the rockslot in steady trades with an unknown bottom. If the wind changed I would be on deck quickly anyway.

Like many things on boats the rock slots use requires careful consideration of the risks. Sometimes it is appropiate, many times it's not. I sure appreciate having the option availible to me that having it provides.

Cheers

Ben
Old 26-07-2014, 20:40   #29

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

I had a Manson 45 on my IP 37, switched to a Rocna 45. Nothing to do with holding power but found that the shank of the Manson would get caught in anchor roller when it did not come up perfectly straight because of the width of the shank is wider than the roller channel. Since the shank of the Rocna is tapered no such problem. Used have to to straighten the Manson with a boat hook while it was coming up towards the roller, a real PIA.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 02:43   #30

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

We have a 60lb Manson Supreme for our 40 foot 30,000 lb ketch. We used it all the way from CT to FL anchoring often and sometimes for weeks at a time, all the way down. Weathered many storms and never once dragged, and it handled the turn in tides equally as well. I honestly cant say whether the Manson or the Rocna is better, only that for me the Manson is the best anchor we have ever owned. It generally sets so quick you have to be careful standing on the bow, it can jolt you off...The Manson is a great anchor.

S/V Tivoli
Mike and Paula
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna