Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 14:52   #61
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Manson Supreme Rock slot

Nyloc nuts used frequently lose their 'locking' abilities. This is potentially an issue with Spade, but on ours they also have a split pin (or you can wire it), so even if the nut were loose it should not work its way off. Using a nut that must remain tight to work - there is a potential issue.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 17:15   #62

Boat: Passport 42
I have anchored maybe 30 times on my new Boss. After about #15 the nut on the slot bolt sheared off. I did not loose the bolt - noticed it on deck with a part of the bolt. I'm guessing it hit the roller side plate on that up.
memelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 18:23   #63

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We have a 25 lb manson supreme which was with us on our last 3 boats. We have only used the rock slot. We have never been able to lift our amchor backwards all thenway up. And we have gone over it with enough rhode that it set in the opposite direction. The rockslot is a godsend as it allows easier retrieval when set deeply in soft bottoms. And once we had it lodged under serious rocks outside the nun buoy of the north channel of Kw in 25ft depths and we were still able to retrieve it.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 19:54   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

4 years of full time anchoring on our Manson (45lb and then a 100lb) and we never used the Rock Slot. Just seemed to me more gimicky than useful and we were always able to retreive the anchor with a simple motoring forward technique if it was stuck.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 00:12   #65
cruiser

Yes well for those that have anchored many times using the slot only proves that the arm chair theory is just that, then again I suppose someone will try it for the first time and drag, not knowing why they dragged they may blame the slot, so I suppose the arm chair critic will always have his place to spark ongoing debate, even though the evidenced is against there argument is 70-30.

Our Super Sarca is the first with this slot, (no bolt) and was certified for S/H/H/power without the bolt; every conceivable method was trialed by the authorities to prove our statement wrong and could not.

20 years on the market, many thousands infuse (no bolt) no incidences even on the huge vessels deployed on the Gas and Oil waterways in W.A. these vessels are anchored for weeks on end and totally rely on their Super Sarca’s , this is evidence to the original question and has more credibility than arm chair theory.

The trip release doesn't mean you will always retrieve your anchor, it simply gives you a means of retrieval if it is stuck, still very handy.

Regards Rex.
congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:04   #66
cruiser

Forget the "rock slot," here's a better idea to fetch your anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog scuba.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	69880  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:37   #67

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Forget the "rock slot," here's a better idea to fetch your anchor.
And when he finds it he digs a hole and buries it.
Old 28-01-2023, 07:06   #68

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Resurrecting this old thread - lots of opinions, a few anecdotes from actual Manson Supreme users...

Here's one more anecdote:

We've had our Supreme since 2008 - hands down a great anchor. We've tried the rock slot, but in our case (and perhaps ours only?) the anchor shank hangs up on the bow roller while retrieving. With the anchor shackle in the slot at the top of the shank, the lower portion of the shank tip buts up against the bow roller. I'd have to manually lift the shank tip over the roller, which was a pain since the bow roller sits underneath our bow sprit and is hard to reach.

Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote