Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 01:56   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Mantus Anchor or Rocna ?

JonJo

The video I referred to was of the boat anchored by 12.5 kg Excel in some bay (in Australia, as I understand), on the seabed of reportedly very poor holding. Boat's name Granny Smith (in Polish it would read "Babcia Kowalska" and would be extremly nice and the same time funny name for the boat).

So, can You tell me if - up to Your personal opinion only - Excel is poor/not so good/good/very good/excellent anchor in grass/kelp/thick weed conditions?

Can You share Your personal opinion, how it compere to Rocna/Mantus/Spade on such a seabeds?

Thank You in advance - it will be very informative for me.

By the way - I can not at all see any Anchor Rigth products bashing in this or BIB threads. There are rather doubts funded by lack of independent informations and lack of first hand experiences. It is completely normal for the product looking for its niche on the new markets.

Cheers!
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 01:58   #122

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I've just ordered a 40kg Rocna for my 25t boat. I've listened to what experienced cruisers have to say.
I don't plan to anchor in weed because I'm not in a 5m alloy boat with a 4 kg anchor out for a spot of fishing.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 02:07   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
I've just ordered a 40kg Rocna for my 25t boat. I've listened to what experienced cruisers have to say.
I don't plan to anchor in weed because I'm not in a 5m alloy boat with a 4 kg anchor out for a spot of fishing.
Uuuuuuuuhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Old 20-12-2013, 02:15   #124
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Double Whisky,

No modern anchor, at all, works in kelp.

No discussion.

Kelp grows on rock, without the rock it would not be there. No modern anchor works on rock - even if it penetrates the kelp.

Any modern anchor might catch on rock, if it holds tenaciously there is a good chance you will never retrieve it.

No one in their right mind tries to anchor in thick weed. Tasmania is famous for thick weed - we anchor no problems - thick weed is never 100% coverage, there are always patches of light weed or clear sand. These are easily spotted, areas of white surrounded by areas of dark. The trick it to set the anchor in one of the sand patches.

If we are twitchy we simply deploy both the Excel and Spade in different but adjacent sand patches. Twitchy - Tasmanian anchorages are commonly exposed and there is usually at least one Storm warning every month in the summer and forecast of 35 knots or stronger somewhere in Tasmania every week. No-one takes anchoring lightly in Tasmania.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 02:16   #125
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post

40kg does not seem overly large for a 25t boat?

Jonathan
Old 20-12-2013, 02:33   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
40kg does not seem overly large for a 25t boat?

Jonathan
Do You not think it was just example of DumnMad sense of humour????

Old 20-12-2013, 02:37   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Double Whisky,

No modern anchor, at all, works in kelp.

No discussion.

Kelp grows on rock, without the rock it would not be there. No modern anchor works on rock - even if it penetrates the kelp.

Any modern anchor might catch on rock, if it holds tenaciously there is a good chance you will never retrieve it.

No one in their right mind tries to anchor in thick weed. Tasmania is famous for thick weed - we anchor no problems - thick weed is never 100% coverage, there are always patches of light weed or clear sand. These are easily spotted, areas of white surrounded by areas of dark. The trick it to set the anchor in one of the sand patches.

If we are twitchy we simply deploy both the Excel and Spade in different but adjacent sand patches. Twitchy - Tasmanian anchorages are commonly exposed and there is usually at least one Storm warning every month in the summer and forecast of 35 knots or stronger somewhere in Tasmania every week. No-one takes anchoring lightly in Tasmania.

Jonathan
I would LOVE to see estarzinger's comment to this post
Old 20-12-2013, 02:45   #128
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Do You not think it was just example of DumnMad sense of humour????

These threads are characterised by their total lack of humour.

J
Old 20-12-2013, 02:49   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
These threads are characterised by their total lack of humour.
J
Oh no!!!!!!!!

So we should appreciate DumnMad's refreshing contribution even more!!!

Old 20-12-2013, 02:50   #130
cruiser

Quote:
I would LOVE to see estarzinger's comment to this post
We need to introduce the idea of personal experience. We work with 15kg anchors - and plan our anchoring accordingly. If we carried 50kg anchors we might plan differently (we'ed sail a bit bow down to start with, need a bigger windlass (maybe 2 windlass as we could not deploy by hand) and more power availability).

But Evan's comment would be interesting - particularly as he works with monster (to me) Bruce anchors - which work much better in bigger sizes than smaller ones.

Jonathan
Old 20-12-2013, 03:12   #131
cruiser

Quote:
Oh no!!!!!!!!

So we should appreciate DumnMad's refreshing contribution even more!!!

Its not enough - I'm going for a Scapa

Jonathan
Old 20-12-2013, 04:22   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Its not enough - I'm going for a Scapa

Jonathan
What is Scapa???
I do not know, met this name only here, on the board and can not Google it ????
Old 20-12-2013, 06:23   #133
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Probably comes up because the threads when on the other non advertising anchors were closed down when discussion with a couple of mods got a bit heated in the past.
Gentlemen, please!

As you know, we request that discussions here are kept civil, that's all. It's unfortunate that when certain subjects are raised, the discussions can get heated. When discussions burn out of control, we sometimes close them. This is in accordance with our rules. Read them, if you get the urge.

We are, of course, grateful to both Mantus and Rocna for sponsoring us. They clearly understand the value of our members as a customer base to them, and without them we could not support this ever growing site. That said, we (the mods) try to be fair and show no bias to any member, regardless of their status.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 08:02   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post

Gentlemen, please!

As you know, we request that discussions here are kept civil, that's all. It's unfortunate that when certain subjects are raised, the discussions can get heated. When discussions burn out of control, we sometimes close them. This is in accordance with our rules. Read them, if you get the urge.

We are, of course, grateful to both Mantus and Rocna for sponsoring us. They clearly understand the value of our members as a customer base to them, and without them we could not support this ever growing site. That said, we (the mods) try to be fair and show no bias to any member, regardless of their status.
Whew...
Good thing I have a Rocna!

;-)
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 12:36   #135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Gentlemen, please!

Dear And Highly Regarded Moderator!

We try hard to be civilized here, even if – as for simple sailors – it is not our real nature.
But we do try and – give a day or two – we can even make friends with JonJo on good foundation of mutual respect and ability to differ nicely.

Being more serious – thank you for the tip. I’m writing now in Word, amber on dark grey, and it is much easier. Change in post after copy-pasteing is no problem. Thank You very much!!!

Tomasz

Tags
anchor, Mantus, rocna, mantus